• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

For the love of modest-sized lathes, an essay

As far as woodworking machines go, a lathe is a character unlike any other. It is the singular machine that, along with its operator’s skill of craft and a small selection of cutters, allows the operator to create art from a singular piece of wood. No other woodworking machine can do that- table saw, jointer, planer, drill press… even a router can’t. Lathes are far more personal and a lot less… utilitarian than any other woodworking machine, and even many human-powered tools.

A recent forum discussion on searching for one’s “last lathe” got me to thinking, in particular about my last lathe. I’ve been a hobby-turning craftsman since 1995, almost 29 years. I started with what today is considered a small lathe (12” swing, and there were few that got much bigger back then without being a gap-bed), and it was a really bad machine. After a couple years I moved “up” to a smaller (10” swing) lathe of far greater quality, and my woodturning joy blossomed. A few years later I had the opportunity to swim in the deep waters and I bought a 24” swing machine of the highest caliber. For a long time, that wonderful Clydesdale of a lathe did everything I asked it to do and it did it with perfection. A few years later its “little brothers” of the brand found their ways to my shop (same quality, smaller sizes), and in time I found I gravitated to using the smaller machines more than the larger machine. My turning interests, for several reasons, were smaller than larger. Today, I own only one lathe, a 16” swing short bed Vicmarc VL200. (A large lathe by 1990’s standards, medium today.) In a few months it will be joined by the 6th lathe of my "career", a Oneway 1224 with bed extension, so I can do longer spindle work. Between the two machines, I will be pleased and satisfied. Last lathe... ha!

The moral of my story, for me (and maybe for a few others out there), is that a high-quality lathe that serves all of your wants and needs may not necessarily be a lathe of the largest physical capacity (combined with its expense). I wholly endorse buying the highest quality machine your budget can afford (even if you have to save for a while longer), but before you start searching for that “last lathe”, understand a couple things:

1- In reality, it may not be your last lathe. My “last lathe” certainly wasn’t, and I finally sold it a couple years ago.

2- Even though you can’t possibly know where your turning interests will be in the future, really do your homework, have a conversation with yourself over many days and weeks, talk with your turning buddies about how large of a machine you not only want, but need. Find photos, and real-life samples, of work that interests you, and determine how large of a machine you’d need to make something similar. Ask yourself where your real turning interests lie now, and if they might be there, or elsewhere, down the road.

Giant bowls and deep hollow vessels may be a challenge to make and provide great satisfaction, but will you still want to make them after you make 10 or 15? (Maybe you will.) Where will you find good quality large wood? (Maybe this is not an issue for you.) Who wants the large finished pieces, either received as gifts, or to be bought from you as you make your living (as in a profession, or as in simple cash flow for your hobby. Maybe you do have a market for large turnings.) What will they be used for? What will become of them down the road? Recently, somewhere, I came across something where the crafter/artist asked themselves if their work could be destined to be an unwanted $5 item at a garage sale in a few years. It made them refine what they make and how they market it to the world, and they are happy and content with their decision. Do you think that may be more likely with large, cumbersome-sized work vs. small pieces that can easily be enjoyed and incorporated into the life of the recipient?

Some truths:
1- A large lathe can do everything a smaller one can, but not the opposite.
2- Hmmm, that’s not entirely true, a smaller lathe can do everything a large lathe can, the work is just on a smaller scale, but not of lesser quality, aesthetic, or appeal.
3- Reasonably-sized wood of usable quality is usually easier to find than large pieces for 15” bowls.
4- A high quality, smaller capacity lathe will cost less than the same quality large lathe, leaving cash available for other needs in your craft.
5- If your woodturning is a hobby and your greatest joy comes from giving a heart-felt piece of art to someone close to you, is a 4” diameter piece going to be treasured less than a 14” diameter piece?
6- For a majority of turners, expensive 2 and 3 horsepower motors are simply not needed. My 1 to 1.5hp motors (1.5 on the 24” lathe) proved that for many years with many projects.

I have a 16” albatross, err… I mean bowl, that I made from a 20" log- it sits (barely) on top of a bookcase, and it serves no purpose at all, functionally or even as art. The “wow factor” for others lasts about 5 seconds. It does not fit in anywhere in our home. I may as well give it a Viking funeral in the neighborhood pond. In retrospect I could have used that piece of log to make a lot of smaller pieces of art that would be treasured far more in my home and elsewhere. A 10” bowl will tastefully hold several pieces of fruit on your dining table, and it will fit in with its surroundings. A 5” bowl will hold a bag of your favorite candy. A 3” diameter hollow vessel will hold a very nice arrangement of dried plant life on a side table or desk.

If you want and need the largest capacity lathe, by all means, buy it, use it and love it. I understand, and there is no need to defend your decision. If you want it, but your reality says you don’t need it, then don’t feel obligated to buy that $5000-8000 tank of a lathe, for any perceived reason.

Thanks for your time and consideration, and I hope it helps those in the future who will be asking themselves about their “last lathe”.

I built my own lathes from the ground up to what I thought I needed. Then spent the next few years doing mods on them to what actually doing ie reality :). It all started big, way too big, my big lathe could swing 1m and 1.5m between centres. What was I thinking? Seriously, now I have no idea. But its all boiled down to one lathe that is an amalgam of both considerable smaller than when I began. My last lathe will be what ever I have in the shop when I pass

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
you want it, but your reality says you don’t need it, then don’t feel obligated to buy that $5000-8000 tank of a lathe, for any perceived reason.

People who buy the smaller machine and spend the savings on classes will most often be happier turners.

Skill and knowledge is a lot more important than equipment.

With skill you can do great work on a crappy lathe
Without skill you will do crappy work on a great lathe.

As far as woodworking machines go, a lathe is a character unlike any other. It is the singular machine that, along with its operator’s skill of craft and a small selection of cutters, allows the operator to create art from a singular piece of wood. No other woodworking machine can do that- table saw, jointer, planer, drill press… even a router can’t. Lathes are far more personal and a lot less… utilitarian than any other woodworking machine, and even many human-powered tools.

A recent forum discussion on searching for one’s “last lathe” got me to thinking, in particular about my last lathe. I’ve been a hobby-turning craftsman since 1995, almost 29 years. I started with what today is considered a small lathe (12” swing, and there were few that got much bigger back then without being a gap-bed), and it was a really bad machine. After a couple years I moved “up” to a smaller (10” swing) lathe of far greater quality, and my woodturning joy blossomed. A few years later I had the opportunity to swim in the deep waters and I bought a 24” swing machine of the highest caliber. For a long time, that wonderful Clydesdale of a lathe did everything I asked it to do and it did it with perfection. A few years later its “little brothers” of the brand found their ways to my shop (same quality, smaller sizes), and in time I found I gravitated to using the smaller machines more than the larger machine. My turning interests, for several reasons, were smaller than larger. Today, I own only one lathe, a 16” swing short bed Vicmarc VL200. (A large lathe by 1990’s standards, medium today.) In a few months it will be joined by the 6th lathe of my "career", a Oneway 1224 with bed extension, so I can do longer spindle work. Between the two machines, I will be pleased and satisfied. Last lathe... ha!

The moral of my story, for me (and maybe for a few others out there), is that a high-quality lathe that serves all of your wants and needs may not necessarily be a lathe of the largest physical capacity (combined with its expense). I wholly endorse buying the highest quality machine your budget can afford (even if you have to save for a while longer), but before you start searching for that “last lathe”, understand a couple things:

1- In reality, it may not be your last lathe. My “last lathe” certainly wasn’t, and I finally sold it a couple years ago.

2- Even though you can’t possibly know where your turning interests will be in the future, really do your homework, have a conversation with yourself over many days and weeks, talk with your turning buddies about how large of a machine you not only want, but need. Find photos, and real-life samples, of work that interests you, and determine how large of a machine you’d need to make something similar. Ask yourself where your real turning interests lie now, and if they might be there, or elsewhere, down the road.

Giant bowls and deep hollow vessels may be a challenge to make and provide great satisfaction, but will you still want to make them after you make 10 or 15? (Maybe you will.) Where will you find good quality large wood? (Maybe this is not an issue for you.) Who wants the large finished pieces, either received as gifts, or to be bought from you as you make your living (as in a profession, or as in simple cash flow for your hobby. Maybe you do have a market for large turnings.) What will they be used for? What will become of them down the road? Recently, somewhere, I came across something where the crafter/artist asked themselves if their work could be destined to be an unwanted $5 item at a garage sale in a few years. It made them refine what they make and how they market it to the world, and they are happy and content with their decision. Do you think that may be more likely with large, cumbersome-sized work vs. small pieces that can easily be enjoyed and incorporated into the life of the recipient?

Some truths:
1- A large lathe can do everything a smaller one can, but not the opposite.
2- Hmmm, that’s not entirely true, a smaller lathe can do everything a large lathe can, the work is just on a smaller scale, but not of lesser quality, aesthetic, or appeal.
3- Reasonably-sized wood of usable quality is usually easier to find than large pieces for 15” bowls.
4- A high quality, smaller capacity lathe will cost less than the same quality large lathe, leaving cash available for other needs in your craft.
5- If your woodturning is a hobby and your greatest joy comes from giving a heart-felt piece of art to someone close to you, is a 4” diameter piece going to be treasured less than a 14” diameter piece?
6- For a majority of turners, expensive 2 and 3 horsepower motors are simply not needed. My 1 to 1.5hp motors (1.5 on the 24” lathe) proved that for many years with many projects.

I have a 16” albatross, err… I mean bowl, that I made from a 20" log- it sits (barely) on top of a bookcase, and it serves no purpose at all, functionally or even as art. The “wow factor” for others lasts about 5 seconds. It does not fit in anywhere in our home. I may as well give it a Viking funeral in the neighborhood pond. In retrospect I could have used that piece of log to make a lot of smaller pieces of art that would be treasured far more in my home and elsewhere. A 10” bowl will tastefully hold several pieces of fruit on your dining table, and it will fit in with its surroundings. A 5” bowl will hold a bag of your favorite candy. A 3” diameter hollow vessel will hold a very nice arrangement of dried plant life on a side table or desk.

If you want and need the largest capacity lathe, by all means, buy it, use it and love it. I understand, and there is no need to defend your decision. If you want it, but your reality says you don’t need it, then don’t feel obligated to buy that $5000-8000 tank of a lathe, for any perceived reason.

Thanks for your time and consideration, and I hope it helps those in the future who will be asking themselves about their “last lathe”.

How DARE you bring common sense into this realm...LOL

I agree with all you wrote. There does seem to be a fetish in the turning community that conflates the concept of 'last' lathe with both bigger swing and more HP. I also think there's that urge amongst us to explore just how big a piece we can turn. At my point in turning and in life...I only make 18"-20" bowls on commission.

The main point to me is quality as you indicated. I have the Robust AB. Swing wasn’t the reason I chose the AB. I did consider the Robust Sweet 16, but didn’t want to be moving the movable section. Bowls are mostly no bigger than 14” and usually smaller than that. There were just so many other thing that lead me to the Robust. I do enjoy having the larger swing as to be able to move the banjo under the piece I am working on. The Robust just has so many features that make turning enjoyable for me. I know this is my last lathe.

I dream about the Robust AB but I’m happy so far one year into my Powermatic 3520 experience, bowls up to 14 inches turned. But I agree with your sentiments about bowl artistry and quality need not be in large format. Thanks for the ruminations.

Thank you for this thoughtful and thought-provoking essay.

I am one of those guys with 20 or so heroic sized dry bowl blanks sitting in my basement that will likely never find a home. I now have more cored 3 bowl sets than grandchildren. It was fun to make giant waterfalls of shavings out of the blanks at the time, but now what?

There is definitely something special about turning on my little starter lathe. It's smooth, and easy, and human sized. In spite of 'a large lathe can do everything a small lathe can do', I find myself gravitating towards it over the big lathe. Then a tree comes down in the neighborhood and the pendulum swings back the other direction to the waterfall of big, wet shavings.

It's all good.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
We have 4 lathes - jet 1221vs, ONEWAYs 2416, 2436, 1024

Like many retirees the economy is great for us.
Inflation we’ve seen it before. Way better than the predicted recession that was avoided.
In 2008 recession we tightened our belts and stopped our IRA withdrawals to preserve principle.
2024 - With COLAs and IRAs growing faster than withdrawals and house paid off we have more to spend than when we were working

Changing lathes now - I would consider a swivel headed Nova. Nova has fixed the controls.
Big enough and a little more intimate.
I have always liked the power and stability of the DVR - hated the controls - thought it should be illegal to not have a red stop button and too slow not having a speed dial. Nova has these now!

Last edited:
I can't see buying another lathe at this time, but who knows what will be new in the market. If I was younger, I would develop my own lathe to build and sell, but I would rather do other stuff with my play time. I would end up with a lathe that has a number of features of my favorites. Sliding or pivoting headstock. I don't see the need for both features. 3 speed ranges. Minimum speed of about 10 rpm. 2 hp. Probably easier to go with stainless steel rather than cast iron now days. Maybe a mini lathe in the mix, which to me is 12 inches and under. Probably a 20 to 24 inch big lathe, and a 16 to 18 inch mid size lathe. I do have a Robust Liberty, which was their 16 inch lathe before the gap lathe they have now. I really like it, except the minimum speed is too high, and it only has one speed range. Still, a nice lathe. Oh, the Robust tilt away set up.....

robo hippy

Steve,
Your essay provokes thought - your opening paragraph did a great job of capturing the spirit of the lathe and what us makers do.
When we're standing at the lathe "recreating" ourselves, the experience of quality equipment is huge. Anyone who ever did a bit of fly-fishing knows that balanced, quality equipment is a big part of the experience.
And for those doing larger / heavier works, qualify is critical - can bring a whole new meaning to "never knowing what hit you".

People who buy the smaller machine and spend the savings on classes will most often be happier turners.

Very true but once you get that experience and get good you will want the big nice lathe.

It could be said that the crappy lathe is a better skill builder.

I agree that a skilled craftsman(person) can make great work with poor tools. However, when one is learning, it is important to be able to focus on proper technique and form. If you are the type of person that can do that despite the shortcomings of your equipment, good on you. If you are not, like many of us, get tools with the best track record for quality that you can afford. You should not be thinking about your lathe while you are turning on it. I recently downsized my main lathe, because after several years of turning on the larger one, I came to the realization that I was not using much of its capacity and a smaller lathe would be much better suited to my space. I now have two lathes (a Vicmarc VL240 and a Woodfast 408S) set up where the Oneway 2436 was and my shop feels bigger than ever and is no longer “closing in on me”.

I have had a plethora of lathes, either 18 or 19. Currently 11 in the shop. I have had hands on in my shop for my club for many years and have had the best Pros here teaching. My mentor had a Oneway and my 30+ years of machining with cast iron equipment left me feeling like I was vibrating on the steel bed lathe, I just like cast. It wasn't my intent to have 11 lathes in the shop but after having a half dozen and being able to have different projects on them I just came to love the multiple lathes. But now at 77 years old and having to remove all my toys off the various lathes and put them away 2 or 3 times a year for hands on I came to a decision and informed my club that our hands on with Roberto Ferrer in May will be the last. So I'm going to sell 5 of the lathes after that so I can have permanent homes for the Rose Engine, the CNC and the lasers. Believe me it was a tough decision. But for sure I suggest you get the best lathe you can afford. A good way to think of it is to "buy your last lathe first!".

I would buy the best I could afford. Even save for a little longer. Like anything else, I wouldn’t start driving with a Ford Pinto if I could afford a full size pickup.
I would add buy a slightly better one than you can afford, this is the same advice I give people looking to buy a new computer. That way it will last as long as you need it to instead of you growing out of it quickly.

I would buy the best I could afford.
echoing others, the used route is a great way to go. Just have to take the machine for a test run first. I was able to find a used Powermatic 3520a and have a wizard upgrade/tune it so it will hopefully last me a long time. So I have a great machine at a great price/value.

Website
www.instagram.com
Another factor to consider when purchasing is resale value. I have purchased a number of higher end tools over the years (mostly for flat work) and have found, if they are well cared for, that the resale value is excellent. I have sold a cabinet saw, a lathe, a bandsaw, a planer, a frame mortise and tenon jig, and other tools for as much, or in a few cases, more than I paid for them. Some were new and some were used when I purchased them. Well made, well maintained woodworking tools never go out of style. Also, that 3 hp vs 2 hp motor may not be something you absolutely need for your type of work but it increases the buyer pool when you go to sell.

I bought the biggest lathe I could afford when I first started. I enjoy multiple hobbies in my shop and the lathe kept getting in the way. I had the same problem when I moved house so I sold it and bought a much smaller lathe. It’s better quality than the old one and although smaller overall it had a two inch better swing than the old one. It was a bit limiting sometimes on spindle work until the supplier introduced a new small 10” bed extension. It’s now the perfect machine for what I do. I should add though that if I ever did want to turn something outside the capacity of my machine I have a friend that would let me use his lathe.

Back