• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Forum Folks

You all are doing incredible work! I look and read everything posted. All of you inspire me to keep trying. Learning new skills with shaky hands sitting in a wheelchair is hard on a good day but I look forward to throwing that switch every chance I get. You folks REALLY help me to keep going. I am grateful, always learning and one of these days I will post a photo up of something worthy of sharing. I am a professional woodworker by trade and a turner by accident. I love looking at all of your photos. This is such a great forum to be part of!
Thom Schuck… AKA “ The New Guy”

Hi Tom, I see you’re in Portland. I highly encourage you to join one of the local clubs. Membership is only $35 or $40 (depending on which club) and you’ll save that much on sandpaper alone with your member discount. Each club meets monthly and features local and national demonstrators as well as hands on open shop days and classes. I am a former recording secretary for Northwest Woodturners and incoming president of Cascade Woodturners. I’d love to see you at a meeting! Also, Portland will be hosting the AAW Symposium in May next year!

Thank You very much. I am really beat up. Getting around is hard plus I have huge energy issues. My up time is about 2.5 hours. Up time is from when I swing my legs out of bed until I am ready to drop. Thats usually around two hours….. I will look up both organizations online and see whats what. I can move around using TriMet Lift but those vans beat me up bad. It’s brutal to my spine. But I sure will check it out and see what is what. Thanks for the invite…. TS

No worries. Thank You much for the offer. The hardest part of my disability is excepting the things I could do but no longer can. So what one needs to do is count your blessings and focus on what you can do. Once you reach that point your life will be more fulfilling. I owned and operated my own company Schuck & Hausman Fine Fraiming for 25 years in the Portland Pearl District. We bulit things square not round. I had a full on woodworking shop that had every machine in the book with two full time wood dudes. When we closed in 2008 I sold off all my machinery. When I started to go nuts I found and bought a used Shopsmith. What a hoot! Everything is different on a Shopsmith. When I truly lost my legs I decided to start turning. I loved it. As time progressed and my body kept breaking I was quick to notice that the way rails were the problem. So I did the smartest thing ever. I bought a Laguna 1216 lathe. Now I was cooking with gas! I love quality tools. It’s a BIG problem. I met a dude named Doug Thompson. Oh Boy! Then I met Cindy Drozda. Need I say more? I dont own a RED tool one. I do have some wicked nice Blue Spruce chisels and a box full of Bridge City Tools. I must admit the majority of my lathe chisels are Robert Sorby and Crown PM. I am always on the hunt for unusual woods that are in blocks or good for spindle work. I have been learning to turn making candlesticks and a couple of hollow vessels. I have gone thru the bottom of all 3 bowls I have tried to make. UGHHHHH! So next up is Bowl Turning. I am all set up for offboard turning and my chair fits under the 20” extension perfectly. I read everything I get my hands on. I watch YouTube videos most of my days. Then I go out and make saw dust. Oh! I custom built my lathe stand. That way my wheelchairs and powerchairs have the perfect fit. I also built my own wheelchair ramp sitting in my chair. I am told it was a site to see! Hey, it works and it works well. Thanks Much to all of you. If you ever have a block or chunk of odd wood let me know! I live just up the street from Summerlake Park in Tigard. I always have time and always have a big glass of iced tea ready to go.
LIVE BIG!
Thom Schuck

I’m sorry to hear about your situation, Thom. But, I am glad you have found the pure joy of woodturning regardless (or maybe in spite of). If you ever decide you’d like some in person instruction, let me know and I’ll come to you.
I went past your ranch today. It’s either the big grey house or the yellow one with wood at the bottom of the garage door. A or B?

Back