• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Four Cherry Burls: Looking for Ideas on How/What to Turn

Good evening all-My awesome son, who works as a power lineman and sometime tree-man, brought home 4 cherry burl sections from a job he did today. You can sort of gauge the size based on the 2x4's they're resting on, but that longest one looks a little under 3 feet long. A lot of what looks sort of like burls seems like just crystallized tree-sap that crumbles off, so I don't know how much is actual wood burl. I just Anchor-Sealed them, but am not really sure how to proceed.

For some context on my current skills, I have turned very little actual burled wood, really just a few spindle blanks for various small projects. I have also only recently started hollowing any deeper than open bowls or small lidded boxes of 3-4 inches deep, but am slowly getting comfortable with my Hunter Badger #5 tools, of which I have both the straight neck and the swan neck, though no real hollowing gear (yet-so much to buy, still!). I am thinking I should start with the smallest one on the left to see what it wants to be on the lathe. Here are a couple of questions if you will indulge me:

1. How might you cut/section them? I'm thinking I should cut that longest one 2nd from the left roughly in half to make it more manageable, but I don't know.
2. I am all too familiar with how green cherry especially can crack to firewood. Should I let these sit for a bit, then maybe rough-turn something and see how much solid wood I have? Then let them dry slowly like a regular-grained bowl?
3. I know that burls can be a mess of voids, bark inclusions, etc. Other than strictly following the usual safety considerations like line of fire for flying chunks, wearing my safety visor, etc., are there any other factors I should be taking into consideration?
4. Holding considerations: If I start it with the regular log part on each end cut square, can I start it between centers and cut a roughly 3-inch tenon for my 100mm chuck jaws? Honestly, I'm not sure how to turn these safely and securely.

I have no doubt my new PM3520 is up to the job, so I think the lathe can handle it based on some of the darn-near trees I've seen videos of people turning on theirs. Question is, can I? I am always pushing my skills at the lathe, and try to learn something new on every project. These should fill the bill!

I'm sorry to sound so clueless, but this type of turning is totally new to me, so all input from you burl experts is appreciated.

Attachments

• Cherry Burls 1.jpg
    Cherry Burls 1.jpg
    617.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Cherry Burls 3.jpg
    Cherry Burls 3.jpg
    668.7 KB · Views: 77
  • Cherry Burls 2.jpg
    Cherry Burls 2.jpg
    521.3 KB · Views: 76
I was given some nice cherry including a few burls shortly after purchasing a lathe. Painted the ends and put the burls in a cool, dark corner. Practiced back hollowing on bowls and making some large hollow forms over the course of a year on some of the less desirable cherry pieces. The burls dried from over 50% moisture to around 35% while stored. When I got the burls out, I felt a lot more confident about making some nice hollow forms from them. Just an idea to use some similar size wood chunks on your lathe and get comfortable before pulling out the good wood. :)

Back