• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Will Armstrong for "Gold Carved Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 20th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

French Rolling pins

Website
www.woodtreasuresbybreck.com
Hey gentlemen and ladies, The Lord has blessed me with some nice kiln dried lumber. Some of are just the right sizes for making a few French rolling pins. For those of you who sell them what price range works for you where you live. Also any dimensions you have found to make them that are just right for the customer to use. Not so much the length as thickness. I have read that 20 to18" and 14 to 12" lengths are the two sizes that work best. Thanks

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
I tried making a few, and from feedback, I find that the dimensions can vary a lot - basically "patisserie" pins , size might be a matter of the user , I made one in 2" diameter by 20 inch long but it was too big for several cooks/chefs (home makers) that were interested in them. Jean likes hers, which is closer to 1-1/2" diameter and 16 inch long , and still others asked me about making some that are even shorter- 12 inch to 14 inch length, and my sense of proportion would put them at about 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" diameter - Some like them tapered from center out on a nice gentle curve (More for ease of direction of rolling for small pastry dough, etc) and others want them nice and flat until you get to the tapered ends (rolling out pie crusts for example) , so seems to me a nice variety (and maybe ask the opinions of a few cooks or bakers after handling a sample or two of yours) might be the ticket.

As for pricing, I generally start with a seat-of-the-pants price and if they sell quick, I might raise prices a bit, if they sell slow, I try to get feedback - maybe price is too high, maybe it is just the wrong market, etc.

(I've had all kinds of my stuff compared to "I can get that at Wal-Mart/ Dollar General for way less money!" - My response invariably is "So go buy from Wal-Mart or Dollar General." But then I might do a google search to get some idea of what they may be going for in different places. I visited a tourist town in Maine once (Wherever L.L. Bean's HQ store is at I forget town name), and saw wooden utensils like that selling for $40 - $80 - just plain-jane ordinary production turned wood items, but around here in my market, I'd be lucky to get $15-$20 apiece... So, price can be subjective)

I have a friend who is a very serious baker who tested my prototype. What I've settled on is 18-20 inches in length, 1 3/8" diameter at the center, 3/4" diameter at the ends, 8-10" flat center segment, 4-5" tapered ends. Depending on the wood, I might leave it unadorned, or I might do a little bit at the ends. I've sold them for $75, but I live in a ridiculously expensive area (Sonoma County/wine country, north of San Francisco). Mike Darlow had an article in AW recently about them.

Iv'e made quite a few and they have sold pretty well at $55 each. Cherry, Maple and Walnut all sell. I go 1.75" x 18". Approx. 10" in the center is flat across. Taper approx. 4" on each end down to about 5/8". I sell in a somewhat affluent area. They don't "fly off the shelf" but sell reasonably well so I hesitate to raise the price.

Well, in the bakery shops, beech and hard/sugar maple are the most common ones found. I would not use any that are made from an 'open grained' wood, and that includes walnut. As for what sells best, one can never tell, and that kind of goes with 'what is a 'French' rolling pin'? I have seen rolling pins from about 3 inches long which are for pot sticker skins, to a mattarello which is for pasta and about 3 feet long. To me, a 'French' style rolling pin is one that is a straight taper from the center out to the ends, maybe 2+ inches in the center and an inch on the ends. This makes it easier to put more pressure on one side than the other, which can be handy for rolling out pie dough. Another variation is a cylinder with parallel sides and the ends are rolled over/rounded/tapered. As near as I can tell, any rolling pin without handles on it is considered 'French'. Another rolling pin I sold a number of was called a 'Palote', which is traditional Mexican for rolling out tortillas. Dads would make them for their daughters. They are about 9 inches or so long, and some are straight cylinders, some are the tapered from the center out to the ends. I tend to have several of all of them. The one mattarello I did make, for personal use, I took a maple baseball blank and turned it down several times over about 6 months because wood moves. It has stayed straight for now. Prices from maybe $10 to $100 for the mattarello if I was to sell one.

Many times I have had a couple come in to look at the rolling pins, and one will pick it up and smack it against their hand a few times while looking at their partner. I tell them, "no, it can't be used for that, all you would do is put some dents in that beautiful piece of wood'. It always gets a smile.

I seem to remember a Vermont Rolling Pin company, but couldn't find it. I would think a retail store like that might have more accurate pricing than ETSY.

robo hippy

Well, in the bakery shops, beech and hard/sugar maple are the most common ones found. I would not use any that are made from an 'open grained' wood, and that includes walnut.
Walnut, Maple and Cherry are all considered closed grain woods by most folks...............and there's more species that would work. I find people like the variety to match what works for their personal taste in color and kitchen decor, so I like to offer them the variety

<I seem to remember a Vermont Rolling Pin company, but couldn't find it. I would think a retail store like that might have more accurate pricing than ETSY.>
look at
Some interesting shapes and sizes and prices.

<I seem to remember a Vermont Rolling Pin company, but couldn't find it. I would think a retail store like that might have more accurate pricing than ETSY.>
look at
Some interesting shapes and sizes and prices.
Thanks for sharing Stu - I do plan to try out a few different shapes. Mine are pretty similar to these - Basic French rolling pin, flat through the center portion.

I have a commercially made one that is 20" long and 1 3/8 max diameter tapering to 1".
I made one for a friend recently but made it 16" long and 1.5" max D.
I must make another for myself as the 20" model is too long when I'm making pastry.

Back