• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

"Golden Ratios" for curves?

I've worked with Golden Ratios before when doing cabinetry design and found them to be helpful with creating pleasing shapes.

Does anyone know of similar ratios or designs to help with designing pleasing curves for turned items? I've been doing salt and pepper shakers and it's been an interesting and frustrating experience. Sometimes everything falls into place and the finished item is gorgeous. Sometimes the curve looks "okay". Sometimes it looks like doo-doo and ends up in the firewood pile.

Has anyone done research as to what curves are pleasing to the eye and which are just "okay"? It seems like some psychologist or design expert should have done such a survey.

And just to lead off with what I'm sure is the obvious comment, I find Mary Anne's curves to be much more pleasing than Ginger's. :D

Charlie,
Good question. The two "rules", just guidelines really, that I remember for bowls and vases are that the fattest part should be located 1/3 of the distance from the top to the bottom, or vice-versa, and the base diameter should be about 1/3 of the diameter of the fattest part.

Having little or no artistic ability myself, I sometimes use a couple of french curves to draw the profile of a bowl or vase, making several versions of it, and just pick the one that looks best. Sometimes I even cut out the profile from heavy paper and use it as a reference template when turning the piece. It works remarkably well. Other times, you can only take what the chunk of wood will give you. Have seen a couple of articles on the subject. Maybe others will follow here with specific references.

Website
www.ispinwood.com
An excellent reference book that talks the subject in detail is Mike Darlow’s “Woodturning Designâ€Â. It is quite detailed to the point of being technical but well worth spending time studying. In discussing “beautyâ€Â, he covers a lot of historical information about design theory relating to architectural shapes. He applies these ideas to turned shapes and concludes the book by critiquing several types of turnings. You’ll learn a lot if you can stick with it.

Hi Charlie, I also wrote an article in the Summer 06 Woodturning Design magazine that may be helpful. A new article for the AAW magazine is nearly ready as well, which will cover hollow forms as well as bowls. Concepts such as the golden rectangle work well for flat work, but leave much to be desired for woodturning. The same frustrations you are experiencing drove me to work on more appropriate approaches to design. As a turner and teacher of turning, I've found the GR to be of very limited use.

Back