• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

-Hand color-

Website
web.utk.edu
I am new to posting here, but have been reading wonderful tips, tricks and getting an education on all things turning since I joined. I thank everyone for that. My question I probably know the answer to already, but told my wife I would ask anyway- is there a product or technique out there to get the stain from turning out of my fingers and hands? I personally don't mind it and haven't since I started. Then a bachelor and no kids, I didn't care about the appearence. Now I care for my wife's sake and also concern about touching food and those accidental fingers in my baby's mouth. Can this be at all dangerous to the young one? I've tried several store bought hand cleaners and soaps, scrubbing with a hard bristle brush seems to work best, but it never gets it all.

Thanks for any help,

-Chris

You must be turning some Oak?

I used to get those stains all the time when I was running thousands of feet of oak a day through a molder. I hear that vinegar might take it off. But I have not tried it.

Website
web.utk.edu
underdog said:
You must be turning some Oak?

Some oak, but more recently walnut, mahogany and even Brazillian cherry gave me stained hands. I'll try the vinegar tonite. No offense, but I kind of hope it doesn't work because my 1 yr old loves vinegar on cukes and other veggies and it might entice more of a finger snack.

-Thanks

Chris

Chris, I am sorry to say I don't have any suggestions for the stain, but I have to say that your work is very good. Hope that I can achieve similar success.

Chris,
Very nice looking work!

Knowing I will be massively criticised and cautioned for the following, will post it anyhow. For turning and other woodwork as well, I wear some very thin, very tight fitting gloves. They're a knit fabric with the palms and fingers coated with sponge nitrile rubber. I can pick up a dime or feel the burr on a freshly sharpened tool with these gloves. They are that tight and that thin, but still offer considerable protection for my hands. Might help your stain problem.

Try lemons

I have found Lemon Juice - such as a store brand of "real Lemon" works well - the stains hve come mostly from roughing greed woods.

For the last 6 months I have been using PR88, a glycerine based barrier cream on my hands while turning.
It washes off with water and carries 85-95% of dirt and stains with it.
Minimal scrubbing is needed. Non water based finishes wash off too.
If you are working with primarily dry materials, it lasts for a few hours.
With green wood ( not flinging sap and water everywhere) it needs to be reapplied more frequently.
It does not come off on the workpiece ( unless the work is wet enough to wash it off), has no silicone so it is finish safe.
as a bonus CA glue does not adhere to your skin while using this stuff.
The vendor told me and I tried it, stuck 2 fingers together and peeled them apart, had a little piece of dried CA as a souvenir.
They sell primarily to auto and machine shops and chimmney/fireplace shops.
Anyhow its worth a try.

mark

Website
web.utk.edu
I appreciate all of the advice, I try the lemon juice and see where it gets me. If it doesn't work, at least I'll find all the small cuts on my hands!:D

markwoll- It's good to know something that will keep my hands unglued. I usually put on latex whenever I glue anything with CA, I know another way now, probably cheaper too.

Thanks-

Chris

Back