• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

How to dry green Maple burl caps?

I'm seeing a good number of Maple burl caps for sale on ebay that are described as green. What's the best way to quickly dry one of these that's say 6" x 9" x 3" thick? Or is there a good way to quickly dry these things? I've see microwaving for 30 sec at a time for many times. I've also seen the idea to soak the piece in 100% alcohol for about a week, which makes it dry out much faster

Last edited:
The blue comes with a similar situation as spalting. That is more common in California buckeye for some reason. I harvested an Illinois buckeye and it was cream colored with a few tan colors. I left some regular grain buckeye outside for a while, and the blue colors showed up. I don't have a picture, but the final color after finishing depends on the finish. Use an oil type finish and the blue goes pretty dark. Spray it with lacquer and it's a more mellow blue/gray.

Back