• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

I once heard a wise old woodturner say:

Website
www.rickurbanwoodturner.com
"If it won't hold soup, it's art"

"Scratches are caused by sunlight"

"Use sandpaper like someone else is paying for it"

"Increase the RPM's until you start to get scared, then back off a bit"
Try to make the inside smaller than the outside.
I needed another funnel in the shop.
There are no mistakes... just design opportunities.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
I saw this response while taking a walk, and at first said to myself, oh, God, a political comment. Then I realized it was a lowercase T.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
I've heard this one, but I have to disagree. Some of my very best pieces were turned from crappy wood that others would've just burned.
Agree. Also, I save all my crappy wood that is at least relatively safe (or can be glued up or whatever) for practice pieces - Even small bits are useful to practice finial turning among other things.

I've heard this one, but I have to disagree. Some of my very best pieces were turned from crappy wood that others would've just burned.

Yes, there are some real gems hiding. For me, it's more a matter of will. If I cut into a piece and it's too punky, or even if I shape a bowl in such a way that it's just ugly, I'll pitch it rather than trying to fix it. I have unlimited free wood so it's an easier decision for me than for some folks.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Agree. Also, I save all my crappy wood that is at least relatively safe (or can be glued up or whatever) for practice pieces - Even small bits are useful to practice finial turning among other things.
To follow up on that: I recently finished this piece - It isn't all that pretty but they sell at farmers market for 10 bucks a pop all day long.. This one was a leftover end of a small 5 inch walnut log that had a bunch of cracks and checking - I chucked it up anyway, as it had some interesting grain - But after turning it round and then turning away the cracks and checking, this is about all I had left to work with - More for my own skills practice and something to do while I didn't have any other projects in mind... to make the lid I then dug out a small piece of punky maple I had thrown in my burn bin - Also crappy wood - I tossed it cause it was just so punky I didn't think I could do much with it, but it worked out for making a lid..
So, here's the result of practicing with crappy wood - Took what otherwise would have been firewood, but still sound enough to chuck it up and with "in between projects" time (That I might have otherwise spent on the computer watching videos or some such) , turned it into an extra 10 bucks in my pocket... Probably have it sold at the next market we go to this spring.
20240208_180528.jpg20240208_180536.jpg

Back