• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jumbo/Bowl Jaws for Apprentice Chuck System - I found some

Website
timeoutside.net
I have the Apprentice Chuck System (Craft Supplies USA, woodturnerscatalog.com, Part# 1011100005 | Mfg Part# CK3.75-4K CHUCK). Starting out in turning, I didn't have the funds for a high end chuck, such as a NOVA. The Apprentice system was recommended to me as a less expensive, yet still a quality choice. I have been very pleased with the chuck. Yes, I can tell the difference between it and the high end chucks, but it has served me well. I anticipate it will continue to do so until I can afford a better one.

The system came with four jaw sets. Unfortunately, no jumbo/bowl jaws. I wrote Craft Supplies and they said none existed. However, searching on Amazon I found numerous sets that, when looking at the measurements they provided, seemed like they might work. I took a $25 gamble. They fit perfectly - even the indexing slot screw. The jaws are claimed to be compatible with the PSI C-Series chucks (CSC3000C, CSC3500SE, CUG3418CC, CMG3C, CSC2000C). The jaws I received are cast aluminum. I have no idea whether the jaws from PSI would be steel or any more substantial in strength, but the ones I received are of adequate quality and strength for my purposes. As a bonus, I see no reason why the flat jaw extensions from PSI or Amazon third-party would not fit and allow an increase from 8.5" to 14".

Anyway, I hope this information helps someone.

Regards,
Andrew

Attachments

• Bowl Jaws.jpg
    Bowl Jaws.jpg
    374.3 KB · Views: 31
Back