• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Kou Calabash. The story behind the work

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
When Wayne Omura and I visited Gus Mauri, probably the oldest woodturner in Hawaii, and one that was probably turning when I was in diapers, he showed us his amazing collection of giant 6 to 8 feet vases turned on his Nichols lathe. In his museum-like room, he had a picture of a calabash. He told us it belonged to a friend of his, and the calabash had been in his friend's family for generations, since the days of King Kamehameha. I took a picture of it. A collector stopped by and wanted something to give the person that hired him to build a million-dollar pool as a thank you. In the guy's house, he saw several Hawaiian artifacts. "I want the real deal," he told me. I chose the preferred wood of the ancient Hawaiians, Kou or Cordia Subcordata. About 7.5 inches tall. Finished with Danish oil. 3 pewa on the bottom. I will add the picture of my inspiration calabash below. As Rob Woodward commented on my Facebook, close, very close. Almost nailed it. For obvious reasons the picture of the inspiration calabash, is sideways, LOL

Attachments

• 4D6291A1-C609-41A6-BB00-E0934B2C5347.JPG
    4D6291A1-C609-41A6-BB00-E0934B2C5347.JPG
    207.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Kou_22-2.jpg
    Kou_22-2.jpg
    489.9 KB · Views: 75
Back