• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Laguna LT18 tension spring replacement

Hi, everyone, voice from the past here. Our Laguna LT18 bandsaw tension spring appears to be at the end of its life. We pulled it today, looks like something out of a small car! Has anybody replaced this part in their LT18? NOTE: It's nothing like the yellow Iturra replacement springs for 14"+ saws. Measures 1.5" across, "wire" is .3" in diameter. Laguna doesn't seem to have parts for this saw, and eReplacements doesn't list any Laguna parts.

Wait, they don't have parts for a current model bandsaw??!? I mean, I'm well acquainted with wildly differing parts access of various vendors, but this is ridiculous.

More helpfully, you might try to get Laguna to give you the full spec of that spring so you can try to source one of the correct spec e.g. from McMaster-Carr's springs catalog or another vendor. Dimensions are one thing, but you'll also need things like the max load, spring rate, etc. Poke around at that McMaster link to get an idea of what info you'll need for the type of spring required (compression vs extension). Also, being Laguna, I would expect that it's a metric-spec'ed spring.

Thanks, John. Today I took another stab at searching and found the part at Laguna's site. Our saw is an older one, before the LT18 was as the current ones (only has 11" resaw!). I hope it has the same spring as today's saws, I just rolled the dice.

Back