• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Lathe purchase or acquisition.

I am looking for recommendations for a lathe that will turn larger stock 20" give or take but something that won't break my bank book. Suggestions please. I am open for used lathe in excellent working condition.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking for recommendations for a lathe that will turn larger stock 20" give or take but something that won't break my bank book. Suggestions please. I am open for used lathe in excellent working condition.
There is a big spread in what some folks think is a reasonable price. But lathes tend to be built to a dollar value. Cheaper lathes...cheaper quality - and more problems. You had had the "price conscious" experience once. And, I know you don't want to repeat it. Steve Chaplin's list in an above post pretty much covers the top-tier of lathes. You can expect accuracy, durability, mass ( yeah... we buy 'em by the pound just like cattle...)
I currently own a Robust American Beauty - and am very happy with it. But - they are pushing $10,000 fully loaded like mine is. My previous lathe was a Powermatic 3520B, and I miss it some days. Heavy, solid - and dependable. AND...with a company that has good support to for their products in my past experience. ( COVID has changed a lot of things - including customer service with many companies...so you mileage may vary....)
There are a lot of them out there used in the $3000-$3500 range, and parts are pretty available if ever needed. There are a couple of design improvements in the new "C" model that are nice. The banjo locks easier and a couple of other minor things - but at a retail of $5699....well - like I started off saying...it depends on what you feel comfortable spending. The Powermatics are hard to wear out, and simple design.
Hope that helps. As a fellow Son of the Republic....( and Aggie...) I saw your post and wanted to offer what I have experienced. Keep me posted on your decision. And...go by Mary's in Strawn and have a chicken fried steak for me. I miss Texas...food and culture.....
T

I'm leaning toward a Harvey T60 if I'm going to spend that kind of money and I understand that Harvey builds Powermatics and some Grizzly lathes.
And - that is true that they have built some lathes for other companies. My litmus test would be customer service. Worth Googling them and a query about their customer service.

There is a big spread in what some folks think is a reasonable price. But lathes tend to be built to a dollar value. Cheaper lathes...cheaper quality - and more problems. You had had the "price conscious" experience once. And, I know you don't want to repeat it. Steve Chaplin's list in an above post pretty much covers the top-tier of lathes. You can expect accuracy, durability, mass ( yeah... we buy 'em by the pound just like cattle...)
I currently own a Robust American Beauty - and am very happy with it. But - they are pushing $10,000 fully loaded like mine is. My previous lathe was a Powermatic 3520B, and I miss it some days. Heavy, solid - and dependable. AND...with a company that has good support to for their products in my past experience. ( COVID has changed a lot of things - including customer service with many companies...so you mileage may vary....)
There are a lot of them out there used in the $3000-$3500 range, and parts are pretty available if ever needed. There are a couple of design improvements in the new "C" model that are nice. The banjo locks easier and a couple of other minor things - but at a retail of $5699....well - like I started off saying...it depends on what you feel comfortable spending. The Powermatics are hard to wear out, and simple design.
Hope that helps. As a fellow Son of the Republic....( and Aggie...) I saw your post and wanted to offer what I have experienced. Keep me posted on your decision. And...go by Mary's in Strawn and have a chicken fried steak for me. I miss Texas...food and culture.....
T
I'm leaning toward the Harvey T60 I read somewhere that Harvey makes the lathes for the Powermatic brandname and also some of the top end Grizzly wood lathes. I don' want to afford an American beauty and don't think I need or want that much lathe.
The last time I ate at Mary's I was very disappointed.

Sorry to hear that Mary's ain't what it used to be....

I think one of our members here...John Hicks (?) bought a Harvey...Might be worth posting a thread asking who owns one and what their experience with them is.....
Yes I think he did and is having trouble with it stoping when it isn’t supposed to. He thinks the problem is in the remote box.

I'm leaning toward the Harvey T60 I read somewhere that Harvey makes the lathes for the Powermatic brandname and also some of the top end Grizzly wood lathes. I don' want to afford an American beauty and don't think I need or want that much lathe.
The last time I ate at Mary's I was very disappointed.
Take a look at Record Power. They have a model that will let you turn 18” over the bed and 39” outboard for $2,500 new. I own the little brother 16” and 39” and am very happy with it.

Glenn, the GO462 was my first lathe. I did not like the revees drive and had problems with the drive and live center aligning. I did like the sliding headstock. After a couple of years I sold it and bought a Jet 1642 EVS 220 volt. I stayed with that until my wife said I could get a Robust American Beauty. (She uses the JEt 1642 :)) I've had the AB for 8 years and am very satisfied with it. The service that I have received from Brent English and his people has been out standing. I have also had good service from Jet. I hadn't had quite had it for 5 years and the motor quit working. They replaced it for free.

Take a look at Record Power. They have a model that will let you turn 18” over the bed and 39” outboard for $2,500 new. I own the little brother 16” and 39” and am very happy with it.
I tend to push equipment to the limits of what it is advertised it will do and the Grizzly does not perform as advertised in many respects. I'm looking at rearranging some finances and will be able to handle the Harvey or something in that range financially if all goes according to plan. I'm 69, semi retired with limited income, and not looking to "work" :cool:

Glenn, the GO462 was my first lathe. I did not like the revees drive and had problems with the drive and live center aligning. I did like the sliding headstock. After a couple of years I sold it and bought a Jet 1642 EVS 220 volt. I stayed with that until my wife said I could get a Robust American Beauty. (She uses the JEt 1642 :)) I've had the AB for 8 years and am very satisfied with it. The service that I have received from Brent English and his people has been out standing. I have also had good service from Jet. I hadn't had quite had it for 5 years and the motor quit working. They replaced it for free.
I don't want to afford an American Beauty but all I hear are glowing reports . I want to be able to turn larger blanks. Some people think bigger is better and maybe I'm one of those. Bigger is better but less is more, go figure.?

Yes I think he did and is having trouble with it stoping when it isn’t supposed to. He thinks the problem is in the remote box.
Having issues with mechanical things is not unheard of it's how the company responds that makes the difference in my estimation.
I also stand by my Powermatic 3520b, a used one will go for $3000.
If a used one can be found.? I think I'd rather just pony up and buy a new with warranty .

Getting big wood might be a problem, well big wood that is solid. Not sure if you intend to sell or not, but large bowls, over 14 inches are slow to sell, and more for people who have very large families, and/or do a lot of entertaining. Having a place to put it is another consideration. A 16 to 18 inch lathe with a 2 hp motor is probably more than you will need. Depends......

robo hippy

Glenn,

Just a few thoughts:

#1.) If you're going to spend 3, 4 or 5K for a machine, you probably won't make a bad choice. Everything in that price range are pretty decent machines (even the Grizzly G0766)

#2.) Not sure how tall you are but most of the Asian machines seem to have a similar type leg casting that bolts onto the lathe bed. Spindle center to floor height is generally in the 44" to 48" range. For me, (6' 4") that is too low to maintain good posture and avoid the aching back syndrome. Be prepared to raise the machine in some manner if your tall for a more comfortable experience. My spindle center to floor distance is 51" and it does make a difference.

#3.) Your 3, 4 or 5K investment for a machine is only a down payment on the true cost of owning a lathe. Be prepared for more thousands in all the other stuff this vortex sucks you into.

Good luck on your search.

Getting big wood might be a problem, well big wood that is solid. Not sure if you intend to sell or not, but large bowls, over 14 inches are slow to sell, and more for people who have very large families, and/or do a lot of entertaining. Having a place to put it is another consideration. A 16 to 18 inch lathe with a 2 hp motor is probably more than you will need. Depends......

robo hippy
This is advertised as a 16" but I can't load over a 10.5" blank . there are many problems and issues I've had with this machine. cast parts breaking big time.
Not an electrician but sounds as though it could be thermal in nature gets hot turns off, cools off will run again, for
Not an electrician but sounds as though it could be thermal in nature gets hot turns off, cools off will run again, for starters.

starters.

Glenn,

Just a few thoughts:

#1.) If you're going to spend 3, 4 or 5K for a machine, you probably won't make a bad choice. Everything in that price range are pretty decent machines (even the Grizzly G0766)

#2.) Not sure how tall you are but most of the Asian machines seem to have a similar type leg casting that bolts onto the lathe bed. Spindle center to floor height is generally in the 44" to 48" range. For me, (6' 4") that is too low to maintain good posture and avoid the aching back syndrome. Be prepared to raise the machine in some manner if your tall for a more comfortable experience. My spindle center to floor distance is 51" and it does make a difference.

#3.) Your 3, 4 or 5K investment for a machine is only a down payment on the true cost of owning a lathe. Be prepared for more thousands in all the other stuff this vortex sucks you into.

Good luck on your search.
Yea bought a grizzly that was priced right but I soon found out why, it was a piece of shit kept breaking and the brand new machine the spindle was 3/16 out of true in a 180 revolution . I've been wanting to get back into turning for years so I guess I'll go ahead and spend some money for a machine that will actually do what I want and expect of it. I have accessories but harvest my own wood a lot. I'll not spend money with Grizzly.!

I don't know what kind of issues R. Henrickson has had with the Powermatic 3520C, but my experience with it has been terrific. The only issue I have had in 4+ years with my C is the start/stop switch. It was subject to dust infiltration and would fail to start when I would push the green button. I could get it started with a shot from the air hose, and Powermatic tech support sent me a new switch that took about 15 minutes to install. Problem solved.

robo hippy
Around Central IL, big blanks grow on trees. I can find soft maple bowl blanks all day long in the 20-24" diameter. I had a patron order 24, 18" bowls and I got all them from one arborist. Here is one delivery I made to him.

Attachments

• 18%22maplebowls.jpg
    18%22maplebowls.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 47
Powermatic, OneWay, Vicmarc, and Robust AB are all quality lathes and there are others. And those that own them will say so. I have the Robust AB. Then main reasons I purchased the AB were adjustable legs, wide splay on the legs for stability, swing away tailstock that is great, American made, warranty (Robust has a 7 year warranty) and a name brand motor (I have a Lesson motor). Not a purchase point, but really like the stainless steel ways and lockout when the spindle lock is engaged. In the 2+ years I have owned it I have not had any problem. If I did I have 100% confidence it would be taken care of. Things that are important to me may not be important to others. I chose the AB because it satisfied all my important features.

Around Central IL, big blanks grow on trees. I can find soft maple bowl blanks all day long in the 20-24" diameter. I had a patron order 24, 18" bowls and I got all them from one arborist. Here is one delivery I made to him.
I am so jealous I can barely contain myself.

BTW too bad about Cat.

Powermatic, OneWay, Vicmarc, and Robust AB are all quality lathes and there are others. And those that own them will say so. I have the Robust AB. Then main reasons I purchased the AB were adjustable legs, wide splay on the legs for stability, swing away tailstock that is great, American made, warranty (Robust has a 7 year warranty) and a name brand motor (I have a Lesson motor). Not a purchase point, but really like the stainless steel ways and lockout when the spindle lock is engaged. In the 2+ years I have owned it I have not had any problem. If I did I have 100% confidence it would be taken care of. Things that are important to me may not be important to others. I chose the AB because it satisfied all my important features.
I would so love to have the chance to turn on a Robust AB.

I looked at the Record Power site and could only find Irish nd English vendors. Anyone know of a USA site?
Pat

I really like my Nova Galaxi 16x44. The motor has more torque vs a vfd. The pivot and sliding HS and bolt on outrigger are what sold me on it but the motor/drive system has been a real plus.

Nova has a new model, Nebula, 18x44 I think, but not sure it is shipping yet. They also have the Orion, pivot but not sliding HS, and I dont think the outrigger fit it correctly. Bought mine from Tools Plus 4 yrs ago.

US Record Power dealers:

If you want to turn bigger billets of wood, you need a heavier machine with mass to handle the larger wood blanks. If you can find a used machine with a 3-phase motor, you can easily power it with a VFD using your 220V single phase power in your home shop. You can usually get a VFD for several hundred dollars and bring an old machine up to date with the speed range you need for turning larger pieces safely. Replacing the spindle bearings can usually be accomplished with some basic tools. Your biggest expense will be all of the accessories needed for turning bigger pieces.

I had a Nova DVR 2024 ... it was actually a pretty decent lathe. But I had some issues with it that eventually led me to sell it and buy a PM3520C.

Twice the lead screw in the tailstock that drives the quill stripped out on me while I was drilling 1/2" deep mortises in hard maple with a large fortsner bit. I was probably pushing it too hard. Nova's tech support happily replaced it at no charge. The Powermatic handles this job (drilling mortises for jar lids) with no problem.

The other issues I had with it were far more troubling. When I bought the lathe, it was advertised with a remote control. When it arrived, there was no remote even though the labels on the lathe stated it was "remote enabled". Come to find out, Nova had discontinued the remote, and was working on a new one. It took me over a year of back-and-forth with them before they shipped me a new remote and related instructions for installation.

The coup de grâce came when I was buffing bowls with a Beall buffing system, getting ready for a craft show. I reached over to shut the lathe off, and as soon as I touched the keypad, POW! An electrostatic static discharge blew something in the electronics that completely disabled my lathe. I had purchased and installed their new controller with the knob, and it took Nova 2 weeks to ship me a replacement.

I have devoured all of these "I'm ready to upgrade my lathe, what to buy?" threads. After a lot of research, I am seriously considering selling my Laguna 12/16 and possibly getting a PowerMatic 3520. Another possibility is if my mentor offers me a good deal on his OneWay 16/40. We'll see, but like many turners, I am outgrowing my starter lathe after a couple of years.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
The 1640 is a nice machine
If it were my decision I’d go with the 1640 and add a remote switch and 17” outboard.
Banjo is so much smoother than the powermatic. Better for drilling. You can use bits with #3 taper in the tailstock.
Jacob’s chucks with #3 taper rarely unseat when drilling

The practical limit between centers is 14” cut rim bowls and 15.5” NE bowls

The powermatic is an ok lathe. It does everything just not quite as well.
Jacob’s chucks #2 tapers in the tail stock rarely stay seated when drilling
If you really need the bigger swing for that 18” bowl …

But it is your decision…

I've drilled many hundreds of pieces with my Powermatic 3520b and have never had anything come loose in my #2 taper. Once again when you ask turners about the best or what you should buy you will get all different answers because they think theirs is the best. I have 9 woodturning lathes in my shop, a Powermatic, a Nova DVR 3000, a Jet 1642, a Jet 1220, 2 Delta 46-460s, a Vicmarc VL100, a Nova 14DR and a Vevor 12" VS lathe. One thing they all have in common is that they are cast iron (I do not like steel bedded lathes as I feel like I'm vibrating when using them). I would recommend any of these lathes to anyone except the Vevor as it is new and has very little time in use but I had to try it as it was $289.95 delivered to my door (I don't know how a Chinese company can make a dollar selling a 12" cast iron variable speed with readout 3/4 hp lathe that came to my door and lines up exactly and runs great) time will tell. The one thing I like to tell folks is that you should buy your last lathe first! Its good to remember that a 10" or 12" lathe will turn everything up to 10" or 12" but nothing bigger. A bigger lathe say 20" will also turn all the small pieces up to and including things towards 20". Now before you ask why 9 lathes I teach, when my club brings in a pro we have hands on for 8 students at a time, and when neither of those two are happening I use multiple lathes on any given day (I don't have to break down a lathe to do something different). A lathe can be dedicated to a certain use. Yes and I know I'm lucky to have a wife who deals with my love of woodturning.:)

Back