• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Will Armstrong for "Gold Carved Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 20th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

little elm bowl

I agree keep things simple for beginners. I reccomend beginners take a basic bowl class and use whatever grind they learned in that class until they get pretty good with it before experimenting with other tools and grinds.

However many of the participants in the forum are past the beginner stage.
The various gouge grinds determines what the tool can be effectively used for.

One of the benefits of local chapters is seeing different people demonstrate. Over time members get exposed to a variety of tools and techniques. Many chapters have workshops and mentoring sessions to provide hands on experience and opportunities to experiment. Over time everyone develops their own preferred tools and techniques.
Al I agree that there are different grinds that work for different purposes. However I believe that a beginner should learn how to use the grind he has for each different tool and not worry about what is the best grind and as you said most who post here are beyond the beginner, but there are lots of beginners out there reading what we post. Guess a lot of the discussion gets down to semantics and we are just repeating things we have said before.

Leo,

When I have the time, wine making is one of my hobbies, the Cabernet Sauvignon wines are on the top of my list of favorites.
Any wines from the Barossa Valley in Australia are one of my favorites year after year.

Leo,

When I have the time, wine making is one of my hobbies, the Cabernet Sauvignon wines are on the top of my list of favorites.
Any wines from the Barossa Valley in Australia are one of my favorites year after year.

It is not a real hobby for me Mike, just that LOML and I do like a glass of wine with out meal, and the taxes here in Ontario are just so absurd that to be able to afford a nice wine I have to make it myself, I use California juice.

Leo,

I used to get frozen grapes and refrigerated grapes shipped in from California each year to make wine.
The pasturized grape juices available these days make excellent award winning wines on a consistent basis.

Back