• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Looking for face and ear protection unit

Have been looking for a face and hearing protection unit to wear and having trouble even finding one. I wear a silicon dust mask also when turning. I have to have hearing protection due to loss of hearing like some of us have to deal with even at the young age of 64. I currently wear separate units but not very comfortable as you can imagine. Any info would be appreciated. Can't afford the more expensive units with fans etc..

Website
www.stevebonny.com
I've not come across a low cost unit that has both...... but I use a GVS elipse P100 mask and a 3M worktunes headset. They are both comfortable individually or when used together. The worktunes ear muffs will hook up to music via bluetooth if you like to listen to tunes in the shop.

Look at the ones used by lumberjacks, which are basically a hardhat with flip down face shield and hearing protection. These will not have air filtering. You'd have to add a respirator of some sort to protect your lungs.

The razor dust masks are pretty good and not too hot. Use with a regular face shield and separate hearing protection.

The cheapest hearing protection are the disposable in-ear plugs.

I use 3M worktunes for hearing protection and a powercap faceshield respirator. Worth every penny for the powercap. I can wear it all day no matter what I'm doing in the shop. Price is painful though.

I don't think anyone would say there is much cheap about this hobby.

Website
www.stevebonny.com
Look at the ones used by lumberjacks, which are basically a hardhat with flip down face shield and hearing protection. These will not have air filtering. You'd have to add a respirator of some sort to protect your lungs.

The razor dust masks are pretty good and not too hot. Use with a regular face shield and separate hearing protection.

The cheapest hearing protection are the disposable in-ear plugs.

I use 3M worktunes for hearing protection and a powercap faceshield respirator. Worth every penny for the powercap. I can wear it all day no matter what I'm doing in the shop. Price is painful though.

I don't think anyone would say there is much cheap about this hobby.
Tom, do you use the Worktunes with the Powercap?
I use both of these too but they dont seem to work well together - the Worktunes seems to amplify the noise from the Powercap. Did you solve this somehow or just live with it?

Tom, do you use the Worktunes with the Powercap?
I use both of these too but they dont seem to work well together - the Worktunes seems to amplify the noise from the Powercap. Did you solve this somehow or just live with it?
Steve, I live with it. Not so bad. The music overpowers it mostly, and the headphones limit the levels to 83dB or so (below OSHA recommended levels). I just wished my music source switched automatically between headphones and speakers. Sometimes I also just use a cheap pair of over-the-ear hearing protection muffs just to keep the music linked to the speakers. I cannot stand the in-ear solutions; they drive me crazy.

Back