• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Maple box

I hate to say it but I bought some wood. I needed some dry wood for some boxes. I bought a piece of maple 3.5” thick and cherry 4” thick. Both kiln dried. Man was that maple hard. This is a box I made from a piece of the maple. It is 4” in diameter and 4” tall. There is no finish on it yet, it just came off the lathe.

IMG_0729.jpegIMG_0730.jpeg

Hard maple shows medullary ray flecks in sections parallel to the growth rings, any of that?
This is hard maple.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 1.23.13 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 1.23.13 PM.png
    405.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
The guy I got it from said silver maple. At our club meeting this morning one of the guys works for the department of forestry and looked at it with his jewelers eye magnifier and also said silver maple. I have no clue. I can’t tell one tree from another. Lol
I see silver maple (AKA one of the Soft Maples) can be a brown-ish color - https://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/differences-between-hard-maple-and-soft-maple/ Most commonly here on the east coast we'll see the classic Hard Maple (sugar maple) - Silver Maple, Red Maple and others (as mentioned in the database article I linked- of which Box Elder is among them) seem to be more of a I suppose landscape tree around here, I don't see them too often in larger sizes out here in the boonies and a few of the loggers I talk to now and then don't think much of them or see them as particularly valuable timber (Other than firewood) but they're fairly common in yardscapes (Usually from the 10 free trees packs from arbor day) - But that's all JMHO - and I do know you can get roasted hard maple from some suppliers that wood comes out looking quite brown

I see silver maple (AKA one of the Soft Maples) can be a brown-ish color - https://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/differences-between-hard-maple-and-soft-maple/ Most commonly here on the east coast we'll see the classic Hard Maple (sugar maple) - Silver Maple, Red Maple and others (as mentioned in the database article I linked- of which Box Elder is among them) seem to be more of a I suppose landscape tree around here, I don't see them too often in larger sizes out here in the boonies and a few of the loggers I talk to now and then don't think much of them or see them as particularly valuable timber (Other than firewood) but they're fairly common in yardscapes (Usually from the 10 free trees packs from arbor day) - But that's all JMHO - and I do know you can get roasted hard maple from some suppliers that wood comes out looking quite brown
Sorry I think I meant sugar maple. Which ever one is the hard maple. This wood was very hard.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
This is soft maple with some discolored heartwood that was near spalting. This is no maple that is chocolate brown
You know a lot more about wood identification than I do
These are some soft maple pieces 13-14” diameter - probably silver but could be red.
They show brown color. The one with voids I bleached the inside.
Finish is Waterlox so could be darkened a little
IMG_1376.jpgIMG_1375.jpgIMG_0272.JPG

That box is not Silver Maple IMO, Maple does not grow with the scalloped grain that the box shows, neither does Black Walnut.
Box.jpg

I have seen that kind of wood grain in Hickory and in Butternut.

The wood grain and color is not Silver Maple, here are couple Silver Maple turnings.

Silver Maple bowl.jpg

Silver Maple bowls.jpg

Spalted Siver Maple.jpg

Whatever it is I'm not sure off, but not Silver Maple, maybe some Hickory, but I'm not familiar with all Hickory species or related species.

Nice enough box, though I find the wall a bit heavy.

I have only gotten one hard/sugar maple tree, and that was a while ago. I have had a number of silver maple blanks. Biggest difference between them is hardness, and the sugar maple is by far harder. Other than that, The silver maple tend to get really big, really fast, like 1 inch diameter per year here, and then they fall apart. they probably would be a much better forest tree than an urban tree. Both will have medullary rays, and those show up far better on quarter sawn pieces.

robo hippy

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Nice box, Rusty. I’ve not seen the scalloped pattern in Silver Maple, but I have seen just about every color imaginable. To me, Silver Maple is kind of like Forest Hump’s box of chocolates, “you never know what you’re gonna get”. I’ve not had any wood that is quite as clear and pretty as Leo’s and Don's examples, but I have had plenty that were silver, gray, brown, etc… here is a small grouping of some pieces I have on hand:

52DD927B-A59D-4305-8343-A02A43D59DAE.jpeg

Just about every color the rainbow. The yellow/green cast of the small bowl is mostly light reflecting off the surface. Ignore that. Edit: just to be clear, I agree with you that it’s probably Maple.

Last edited:
Website
www.ovwg.org
I hate to say it but I bought some wood. I needed some dry wood for some boxes. I bought a piece of maple 3.5” thick and cherry 4” thick. Both kiln dried. Man was that maple hard. This is a box I made from a piece of the maple. It is 4” in diameter and 4” tall. There is no finish on it yet, it just came off the lathe.

View attachment 61951View attachment 61952
Nice box Rusty, the handle on the lid is a nice touch!

Last edited:
Rusty - this thread has taken on a life of it’s own all about what the wood is, each time I open the thread my first thought is of the beautiful outcome you achieved from this piece of wood.

As I mentioned earlier, it looks like hard maple to me and I keep wondering what I’m missing that other very knowledgeable people question. Maybe it’s the photography and color balance that’s leading some astray. I post-processed your photo with Snapseed to make it truer to what I imagine it looks like - is this an accurate representation or did I just muddy the water more?

1711585598409.jpeg

Last edited:
Rusty - this thread has taken on a life of it’s own all about what the wood is, each time I open the thread my first thought is of the beautiful outcome you achieved from this piece of wood.

As I mentioned earlier, it looks like hard maple to me and I keep wondering what I’m missing that other very knowledgeable people question. Maybe it’s the photography and color balance that’s leading some astray. I post-processed your photo with Snapseed to make it truer to what I imagine it looks like - is this an accurate representation or did I just muddy the water more?

View attachment 62021
Yes that is what it looks like. The guy I got it from sais it was maple and a friend of mine that works for the forestry department said it was maple. I am going to stick with maple.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Agree. I still don't really get why there's so many know-it-all doubting thomases that argue that a piece of wood isn't what the owner says it is, rather than just enjoying the resulting piece...

I've gotten that at market shows too with a little cherry wood box that a visitor to my booth swore up and down it was maple because of the little bit of spalting going up the grain, despite the fact that it was actually harvested in my back yard and I knew the tree was cherry. (the wood somehow got some spalting going while it sat out on the ground waiting for me to turn it...before that I never knew cherry could spalt..)

Back