• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

McNaughton and WD-40

I was working through a batch of 15” ash pieces with my McNaughton. For some reason I kept stalling the lathe when I remembered something I’d read somewhere on this forum about using WD-40. Amazing! One squirt into the groove while turning (this picture is static, but just for demo purposes) and I could finish each cut like cutting through butter. IMG_4357.jpeg

WD-40 is also useful as a lubricant between the blade and the support post. If the blade moves slowly and uniformly in it won't jump forward and jam.

Well, WD 40 works. I used to use PAM, which is canola oil. If the blade is stalling, 2 main reasons. One is the bend in/on the blades. If you lay one on a circle template, you will notice the tip goes straight rather than following that 'perfect' curve/arc of a circle. That is why it always drifts to the outside of the kerf. I have several that I have 'tweaked' a little extra curve onto the tip, and they don't bind as much in the cut as the standard blades do. Ever burn your fingers and hand on the middle of the curve of the blade when taking the blade out of the kerf? Another reason for stalling is the cutting tip frequently is below center. I always have my tool rest at least 1/4 inch above center height. If you have ever tried to remove the tenon stub in the bottom of your core, as soon as the tip engages the wood, it will drop way below center. There is a lot of flex in the system, which is by design. Just lifting the handle up with the longest blade does not keep your cutting point at center height.

robo hippy

Back