• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Michael Murane

As I write this, sitting in my garage/shop is a like new Laguna REVO 24-36 lathe that I purchased in 2018. I grew up in the 1960's hanging out in my dad’s wood shop watching him turn spindles and bowls on his lathe. It has always been my dream to learn how to turn. I live in Albany, Oregon, after 23 years I retired from the US Army back in 1997, then I went to work for the Orgon State Employment Department for another 23 years. Married 46 years with 3 grown sons and now that I am retired, I hope to spend time on my lathe.
I joined AAW as well as the Willamette Valley Wood Turners so perhaps I can make a few friends that would laugh too hard at my beginner’s effort at turning.
I will be attending the AAW Symposium this upcoming May in Portland. I hope to make some new friends and learn a lot.

Welcome from Ohio. Looks like you have made some good choices with your lathe and memberships. You'll really get a lot out of the symposium.
Thanks for the welcome Gene. What kind of turning do you like to turn? I spent my youth mostly watching my dad turn spindles, and then try to do it myself. Never got very far however (I did manage to create a lot of wood chips and sawdust!)

Welcome! Definitely go to that symposium, you will be blow away by the knowledge and willingness of fellow turners!!
Thanks for the welcome Gabriel. I'm hoping that the symposium will be an outstanding adventure. I registered for the entire 4 days along with the banquet. Have you attended one of these before?

welcome aboard. The symposium may be overwhelming but just pick areas you are interested in and take a lot of cash to spend on tools and gadgets. Oh by the way we like pictures.
Thanks for the welcome Gerald! I hope that the symposium won't be to overwhelming. I was thinking of sitting thru as many demonstration sessions as I can. You've got me thinking that perhaps I shouldn't bury myself learning about techniques that are way above my ability.

Website
www.ovwg.org
Thanks for the welcome Gabriel. I'm hoping that the symposium will be an outstanding adventure. I registered for the entire 4 days along with the banquet. Have you attended one of these before?
I attended our local symposium at the OVWG last October, I have not attended a national one yet. If the national one is anywhere close to our local one it should be great!

Welcome, glad you found us. Woodturning is one of those slippery slopes... Except that nobody regrets falling into it. I hope you can find some willing mentors/help locally, as it can really decrease the learning curve.

Back