• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Need help on wood ID

Can't recall for sure where I got this wood. Likely Etsy or Ebay. I bought it because I liked the spalting. It's been on the shelf with tree saver coating for a few years. It has some peculiar grain characteristics I would expect from a tropical wood. But unlike most tropical woods I've come across, this wood is light in color and light weight. End grain 2 and flat grain 2 are just enlargements of a portion of end grain 1 and flat grain 1.
A small amount of paste wax has been applied.
I don't know why the flat grain pictures have a yellowish hue.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• end grain 1.jpg
    end grain 1.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 82
  • end grain 2.jpg
    end grain 2.jpg
    476.7 KB · Views: 81
  • flat grain 1.jpg
    flat grain 1.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 69
  • flat grain 2.jpg
    flat grain 2.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 77
End grain Elm
american-elm-endgrain-zoom-200x200.jpg
looks pretty close.

Thanks to all who took the time to chime in. I think I'm gonna go with Hackberry. When someone said Hackberry, it rang bell for me. I now remember buying some hackberry online. I bought it because I'd never seen it before, and it was a curiosity.

I say spalted sugar maple. I inherited a 8' x 30" trunk from my parents house back east after it sat all summer, and that's a spitting image of a bowl I turned from it... Coloring is very similar but the grain is nearly identical. The light weight is another indicator. The 8" blanks I broke down felt as light as fir or northern pine.

American Elm, aka as White Elm for a reason can be quite light colored, other Elm species are all darker, here is a Spalted American Elm bowl.American  Elm.jpg
In my ezxperience, Hackberry does not have the wwww grain as prominent, but I have turned it only a few times, here is a Hackberry wobbly bowl.

Hackberry.jpg

As for Sycamore, it has a quite different grain, here a natural edge Sycamore bowl.

NaturalEdge Sycamore.jpg
The only picture I have from Sycamore showing the fleck grain was the background for Bottle stoppers, but you can see the flecks clearly.

Sycamore with bottle stoppers.jpg

Kent most Elm trees are gone, succumbed to the Elm disease, though the Siberian Elm is kind of immune to the disease, it was introduced by government, it grows all over and gets quite large, I have cut down and turned quite a lot of it, as these would get damaged by heavy wet snow and so it then got trimmed or cut down.

Red or slippery Elm is basically all gone where I lived, I remember all the very large dead Elm trees in the bush and the stumps of the Elms removed from along the roads, a lot were white Elm, but other species also died.

The Siberian Elm tree wood can have very dark heartwood, yes it smells some, but pretty all woods do, some more pleasant ;-)

These here are all Siberian elm turnings.

Siberian Elm bowls.jpgSiberian Elm bowl 1.jpgSiberian Elm bowl.jpgSiberian Elm 2.jpg

Back