• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

negative rake scraper

The robo rests do have an angle scale. To get the most accurate angles, the platform, when set to 90 degrees should be even/level with the center of the wheel hub, and 1/8 inch away from the wheel (indicator line for that). I would guess John is using the 35 degree angle setting. Every grinder sets up a little different, so getting machine shop accurate angles is next to impossible. Getting them close and exactly repeatable does happen. If John's rest is a hair high, or a hair back from the ideal set up, that would make it a bit more acute (?not sure, but more pointy...). A 1/2 inch piece of plywood changes the angle about 5 degrees more shallow, so 35 would become 30..

John, some times to remove the old burr, I use a burnishing tool and a light pass or two. My NRSs are a 1/4 round profile so they can go in either direction. With a half round or ) profile, you could go either direction, and wouldn't need to flip it over. Dang, now I might have to buy another scraper or two....

robo hippy

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Bill You set the Robo rest at 90 degrees and there is a horizontal line that you set to match the face of the wheel. That should give you a repeatable angle but I haven't checked to see where it comes out on the wheel, at, above, or below center. Well I'm pretty sure it's at or above center. I'll try to remember to look tomorrow.

Back