• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

NEW FORUM FEATURE - Forum Runner Installed

John Van Domelen

Retired Forum Admin
What is it:

Forum Runner is a vBulletin and phpBB forum add-on that allows users to access the forum at blazing fast speeds by using a native application installed on their mobile phone (Android or iPhone) or iPad/iPod Touch device.

Looking for interested volunteers to test the app on their phones:

For iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad users:

Go here: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/forum-runner-vbulletin/id362527234?mt=8

For Android users:

Go here: http://www.appbrain.com/app/forum-runner/net.endoftime.android.forumrunner

John Van Domelen

Retired Forum Admin
more info...

This forum now supports Android and the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad natively with Forum Runner!

What is Forum Runner?

Forum Runner is an Android/iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad App that allows you to browse this forum using a native client. This means faster access for those users since it only downloads the actual forum information rather than all the extraneous images that slow down the mobile connection.

Forum Runner Feature List

• Browse your favorite forums in an easy-to-use-interface with multiple notification types (private message, subscription, etc)
  • Fully customizable home screen with your favorite forums
  • PUSH NOTIFICATION SUPPORT : Get private message and subscribed thread updates from your favorite forums in the background!
  • Poll updates (private messages/subscriptions) from favorites on home screen - shows you a summary of which forums you have new messages or subscriptions on!
  • Image attachment thumbnail and full size viewing from threads
  • View a thread's image attachments in one convenient screen (much like the native iPhone "Photo" app)
  • Save thread images to your iPhone/iPod touch library
  • Fully search-able forums!
  • View embedded links without leaving the app, including YouTube videos
  • Supports portrait AND landscape mode
  • Full posting options (quote posts, start new thread, etc)
  • Attach unlimited photos from your library (or take a photo from the camera and attach it)
  • Full support for private messages and private message folders
  • Full support for thread subscriptions - track your favorite threads and be updated via push when they have new posts!

Some screen shots of Forum Runner running on various devices:

iPhone: Home Screen with customizable icons and notifications:

home.png

Push notification updates while outside the app:

push.png
push.png

Image attachment browser from a thread:

photoviewer.png
photoviewer.png

Fully searchable forums:

search.png
search.png

Full forum browsing:

browse.png
browse.png

How can I get the Forum Runner iPhone Client?

Either search "Forum Runner" in the App Store on your iPhone, or click one of the links below:

Get Forum Runner Full Version from App Store

Get Forum Runner Free Version from App Store

How can I get the Forum Runner Android Client?

Either search "Forum Runner" in the Google Market on your Android device, or click one of the links below:

Get Forum Runner Full Version from App Brain

Get Forum Runner Free Version from App Brain

Last edited:
I administer a vBulletin forum, and we've also added Forum Runner support. It's a great app...faster to load pages than the other mobile forum app I've used (TapaTalk). So far I've seen no issues on an iPhone 3Gs.

John, my only suggestion so far would be for you to add a logo of some sort. It makes it easier to see on the Forum Runner favorites list.

HI John
Just put the forum app in my phone, looks good , now I can check the forum just about anywhere.
Thank you Nigel

Thanks for being pro-active.

Hi John,
Thanks for doing this and letting us know in a stickie. Also all the info you had helped me decide to spend $2 to download the full app rather than the free read only version. Apparently the newest version (March 9, 2011 I believe) has garnered two bad reviews that are all that show up at first on iTunes, so having your info helped me know I would use this on my new iPod touch. (My old Palm TX died last week--so I had to get a new device. Tools, tools, tools. :D)

This will be great in airports and other public wi-fi areas.
The old Palm was almost worthless for the AAW forum over wi-fi.

Thanks again,
Ann Herbst

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
I just loaded Forum Runner onto an iPad. I can see the forums fine, but my logins keep getting rejected. Any thoughts?

Forum Runner has FAQ and help support.

The Forum Runner site on the web has both a list of FAQ and a help area. I seem to remember answers to your question there. I checked it out before I purchased from iTunes apps, since the two evaluations given to the updated version were so negative but John's comments in his intro were so positive.

Forum Runner's support is at:

http://www.forumrunner.net/forum/

Ann

Read Negative Reviews on Apple App Store

I've subscribed to Forum Runner for a couple of years for various forums. I finally removed it from my iPad. The newest update constantly hangs-up. Not worth the aggravation.

Wonderful, I'm sure. How do I turn off the constant pop-ups advertising the app if I don't want to use it?

Thanks!

Ken

Back