• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

NRS sharpening jig?

Anyone have a diy sharpening jig/rest they are willing to share for sharpening scrapers, especially nrs, on a grinder?

I have a Rikon 1hp and two 180 grit cbn wheels coming. I intend to set one side up specifically for gouges and the other for scrapers and such.

I may eventually get a premade system like Wolverine but for now I've spent enough Christmas bonus on this Rikon lol. My ellsworth jig does great on gouges.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Only jig I use is the grinder's tool rest platform - all you really need is to match up your angle for the bottom bevel (assuming you have a ready made NRS) - just touching that up rolls the burr on the top bevel so you only need to set the one angle and then hold scraper flat on tool rest and follow your scraper's shape as you sharpen.. ?

I was lucky and picked up a used Wolverine system with a Robo Rest. I've found that a diamond card can touch them up between grindings. I also turned a small handle and put a carbide router bit into it. (backwards) Works well to burnish/roll the burr.

The 'platforms' on most grinders are worthless. Maybe you'll get lucky. Otherwise, you'll need a real platform, which is really valuable to have anyway. One comes with the Wolverine, or you can buy a variety of standalone platforms. Lee Valley used to have a Veritas platform that was not quite as stout as the Wolverine or Stuart Batty or RoboRest, but it didn't cost as much either. I've seen some that people made from wood.

This Kodiak platform is generally overlooked but I have found it to work great. It is sturdy and repeatable.

This Kodiak platform is generally overlooked but I have found it to work great. It is sturdy and repeatable.

I must express my agreement with Tom's post regarding the Kodiak platform. It attached as advertised to the Wolverine base.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Yes I love the Kodiak tool rest. I modified mine to have detents every 5 degrees that are not already indexed. I drilled holes and use a 1/8" allen wrench to go in the holes.

Attachments

• 20220102_063259.jpg
    20220102_063259.jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 40
Here's a picture of the one I made. It's DIY. If you don't have access to a welder and some metal I'm sure you could make one out of wood that would do the job. I used 1' tubing for the part that attaches to the wood base and 3/4" tubing to go inside it. You can make one in about 4 hours, mine was scraps I had laying around. It's not fancy but gets the job done for no money.

Attachments

• IMG_2256 Grinder Pedestal.jpg
    IMG_2256 Grinder Pedestal.jpg
    612.9 KB · Views: 49

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
A lot of woodturners make things complicated when it isn't necessary.

You don't need a sharpening jig to make great negative rake scrapers.

All you really need is a platform set to the angle you want the bottom bevel to have.

The top bevel needs to be done first, and can be easily done by hand. Its a simple procedure by turning the scraper on it's side and canted to one side or the other......whichever side is more comfortable to do for the individual.

After the top bevel is established, the bottom bevel is then ground, which creates a great ground bur for the main purpose of a NRS.

If a formed bur is desired, the ground bur can easily be removed with a diamond hone, prior to using carbide to form a more refined bur.

There is nothing difficult about getting a very useful NRS.....just a little dexterity in handling your scraper while forming the bur.

-o-

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
Like others said, just a platform set at the angle you need. I do all my NR scrapers at 45 on each side so I can balance out the wear. For curved ones it allows me to flip over and turn in reverse if I need to.

I use one of these. May get a Kodiak one of these days.

Adjustable Replacement Tool Rest Sharpening Jig for 6 inch or 8 inch Bench Grinders and Sanders • Includes a Pivoting Miter Slide and Flat Miter Slide for Easy Tool Honing https://a.co/d/jilqFxw

Back