• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

PAPR From Miller Welding

I’ve hade my PAPR from Miller Welding for three weeks now and feel reasonably comfortable recommending it.
The “helmet” part is very light and easy to wear for extended periods of turning, the air flow is great on lowest setting and it’s pretty darn quiet.
Unfortunately it’s not set up for ear muffs but noise canceling ear buds work fine.
Here’s a link to where I bought mine.
FYI additional parts are available from cyberweld.com at lower prices.

I couldn't find any info on the impact rating of the face shield. Do you know the rating?
Hi Michael,
I don’t know specific ratings.
Here’s some pics from a replacement shield.

Attachments

• 915DA053-5CDC-4C17-9E89-A2C8B04D5D4C.jpeg
    915DA053-5CDC-4C17-9E89-A2C8B04D5D4C.jpeg
    337.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 2925F3AD-44B5-4BE2-9D8E-7173AFB67D73.jpeg
    2925F3AD-44B5-4BE2-9D8E-7173AFB67D73.jpeg
    308.4 KB · Views: 13
My concern is that it may be light weight because it might not be up to Z87+ impact standards. Off the top of my head, I would guess welding applications may not require high impact resistance.

My concern is that it may be light weight because it might not be up to Z87+ impact standards. Off the top of my head, I would guess welding applications may not require high impact resistance.
It's actually for grinding, sanding and painting. It has a ANSI Z87.1+ rating.
Here's a link to CyberWelds listing. Scroll to the bottom for the safety ratings. https://store.cyberweld.com/miller-face-shield-papr-288356.html
One of my major considerations when buying was the weight of the hood and hose. Due to being rear ended in an accident, my neck won't support much weight for any period of time. I can and do wear this for hours.

Those replacement filters are EXPENSIVE Omer.....I hope they are a lot cheaper elsewhere. Otherwise - it looks like a good system!
Sorry Tim I missed seeing your post.
Yes they're not the cheapest. But my biggest concern was the weight.
They recommend replacement every 500 hours and it comes with two HEPA filters so 1000 hours.
Since in my situation it is being used for dust, my main concern is pre-filters are clean. I blow them out every couple of days and from what I see on the gage that came with it, I haven't lost any flow.
From what I see I can just reset the filter timer after 500 hours...as long as I don't intend to use in in a situation requiring a HEPA filter.

It's actually for grinding, sanding and painting. It has a ANSI Z87.1+ rating.
Here's a link to CyberWelds listing. Scroll to the bottom for the safety ratings. https://store.cyberweld.com/miller-face-shield-papr-288356.html
One of my major considerations when buying was the weight of the hood and hose. Due to being rear ended in an accident, my neck won't support much weight for any period of time. I can and do wear this for hours.
Good to know

Back