• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Pecan

I’ve only turned it for turkey calls. How does it hold up to hollow forms? I usually once turn and wondering how much movement I can expect. Also how does it carve? I acquired some from LA. Lower Alabama.

Also in LA here (auburn). I find pecan, like its relative hickory, to be very hard and "fibrous". In other words, for me, a challenge to turn. The grain can be beautiful once it's finished. I generally pass on pecan unless its a special case.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
I’m a fan of Pecan. As far as domestic Southeastern hardwoods, it’s near or at the top of my list. It finishes beautifully—feels like porcelain. Develops into a very rich brown over time. That said, it can be extremely hard and unforgiving when dry.

Pecan also called "pecancrete" is very hard and known for surprises in the middle of the tree, such as hollows or bark inclusions. Hear wood on older trees is a very dark brown. It turns well with sharp tools . You will not see lumber from it due to the irregularities and short main trunk IMHO.
IMG_7955.JPGIMG_6409.JPGIMG_8095.JPGIMG_0729.JPG

Curious what you mean when you ask "how does it hold up to hollow forms?" The pecan I've turned seemed very abrasive and visited the grinder quite often.

Curious what you mean when you ask "how does it hold up to hollow forms?" The pecan I've turned seemed very abrasive and visited the grinder quite often.
Does it move a lot? I usually once turn my hollow forms with little movement. But woods like red oak really deform. Does that make sense? I have a couple of crouch pieces and wondering if I can once turn or do I need to live a tenon on to twice turn.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
I’ve found that it moves just like most other woods do. If you’re starting from green, and you want a perfectly round hollowform, you’ll have to twice turn (at least the exterior). Here is a small hollowform I once- turned semi-green. You can see a little bit of movement occurred when drying. The first pic, the right vessel is a gourd. Lol.

05C41108-22C2-4C5D-9CFB-710BA741DA8E.jpeg

8390C51E-5A7F-4CFD-9911-3EAA9A750180.jpeg

I’ve found that it moves just like most other woods do. If you’re starting from green, and you want a perfectly round hollowform, you’ll have to twice turn (at least the exterior). Here is a small hollowform I once- turned semi-green. You can see a little bit of movement occurred when drying. The first pic, the right vessel is a gourd. Lol.

View attachment 59063

View attachment 59064
Thanks

Back