• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

PekeSafety Powercap issue

anybody else have an issue with a the Powercap—the chin part is in two pieces and comes apart. Peke sent me a new one but it isn’t velcroed well so I modified it. Installed some buttons so I could change out the replaceable part when needed.

Attachments

• IMG_2883.jpeg
    IMG_2883.jpeg
    429.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2882.jpeg
    IMG_2882.jpeg
    383.8 KB · Views: 43
Alan,

I have the Powercap. The Powercap Active IP Face Seal Replacement should look like the picture. Is yours different? Are you talking about the cloth material separating from the foam core? If so my face seal has in fact separated. I am about to order a replacement because I'm outside the warranty period. Not sure I am happy if the face seal has now been modified so that it is less effective. Interested in what the buttons are for and to what do they attach?
Jay

Screenshot 2023-08-29 at 2.35.21 PM.png

Alan,

I have the Powercap. The Powercap Active IP Face Seal Replacement should look like the picture. Is yours different? Are you talking about the cloth material separating from the foam core? If so my face seal has in fact separated. I am about to order a replacement because I'm outside the warranty period. Not sure I am happy if the face seal has now been modified so that it is less effective. Interested in what the buttons are for and to what do they attach?
Jay

View attachment 55250
Yes--this piece came loose and would not attach to the fabric piece attached to the helmet. So I sewed buttons on the piece attached to the helmet so I could attach the piece you reference . . . It’s not a good setup. They should Velcro securely.

Yes, I also have the Peke powercap and the chin seal is wearing out. I need to order a new one and have it ready because it will not be long and it will need to be replaced. Is there any material at Hobby Lobby that we might could use to replace that piece. We could use the old piece as a pattern. I might go look around. Thanks

Mine was separating the cloth material that is glued on both sides to a thin foam center. I ordered a replacement which is exactly the same as the original. The exterior cloth layer has the same great attachment quality as the original.
However, I am still using the original. I just reversed the original so that the side with the separated cloth material is away from the Velcro hooks. Seems to be working fine. I assume that it will also fail eventually, but I have a replacement waiting.
If your replacement doesn’t attach properly I would contact them and discuss it with them. It is either the cloth material or the Velcro hooks that is at issue. You might want to check both of them out first to see if one or the other can be eliminated as the problem. If you have a hook/loop sander set up, take your replacement seal and see if it latches to the hooks on your sander. Then take a sanding disk and see if it attaches securely to the mask. This may give you an idea as to which if either is the problem.

If it’s relevant…..
In the UK (JSP Powercap) there are two sizes of the piece shown in #2. One is for Powercap and the other for IP (impact ) Powercap. The part simply has fabric cover which sticks to Velcro in the hood.

I replaced mine a few weeks ago. No issue with the replacement not fitting/staying in place.

When ordering, I ordered two because it'll surely need replacing again eventually. Periodic replacement is likely the best that can be expected. My failure was caused by safety glasses catching on it, eventually damaging it. I changed to a different style of safety glasses.

A word of warning on the shield: DO NOT USE ACETONE to clean it. I made that mistake when trying to remove glue from a shield protector The shield instantly glazed white and cracked.

Back