• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Website
www.dickgerard.com
Here are a few pix of my latest endeavor. I have been experimenting with spheres for about a year now and I think I have gotten the hang of it. Tell me what you think. Woods are paduak, zebra wood, walnut, maple, maple burl, bloodwood and cocobolo.

Attachments

• Spheres_01_Rsz.jpg
    Spheres_01_Rsz.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 131
  • Sphere_02_Rsz.jpg
    Sphere_02_Rsz.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 146
  • Sphere_03_Rsz.jpg
    Sphere_03_Rsz.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 130
  • Sphere_04_Rsz.jpg
    Sphere_04_Rsz.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 112
were they done freehand or using some type of jig. I have made several ball and cup toys and can't get my balls that round

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I would like to know how it's done.
Turning a sphere is about the complexity of turning a natural edge bowl. There is a good article in the youth projects section of the web site. A better name for this would be projects for kid 8-89. http://www.woodturner.org/community/youth/projects/Sphere.pdf

I frequently demonstrate turning spheres and conduct workshops. Turning balls with a side ground bowl gouge is easy, fun and if you use bowl gouge techniques you practice bowl turning when you turn a ball and you practice ball turning when you turn a bowl. If you turn 5-10 balls in a week the next week the bowls you turn will magically have better curves.

Below is a few slides I show to set the stage for a ball demo.
http://aaw.hockenbery.net/Overviewballweb.pdf

I have found that turning balls under 2" in diameter is a lot easier with a jig.

Al

Last edited:
Website
www.dickgerard.com
Al,

Great PDF slides. Reminds me of the way Soren Berger of New Zealand does it. I have used that method as well. My first 50 or so balls/spheres were done using the cup chucks and the 3 axis method first shown to me by Richard Raffan. It is also shown on one of his first 2 videos. Then, after getting quite a few orders, I moved up to a jig. The jigs, in my opinion, do waste a bit more wood, but the trade off is a nearly perfect sphere. And of course there is the learning curve and set up time. So I guess you can say I have used all 3 methods ... freehand, cup chucks + freehand, and jigs. By the way, for removing the end nubbins, I still mount between cup chucks. Ditto for sanding.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Al, Great PDF slides. Reminds me of the way Soren Berger of New Zealand does it. I have used that method as well. My first 50 or so balls/spheres were done using the cup chucks and the 3 axis method first shown to me by Richard Raffan. It is also shown on one of his first 2 videos. Then, after getting quite a few orders, I moved up to a jig. The jigs, in my opinion, do waste a bit more wood, but the trade off is a nearly perfect sphere. And of course there is the learning curve and set up time. So I guess you can say I have used all 3 methods ... freehand, cup chucks + freehand, and jigs. By the way, for removing the end nubbins, I still mount between cup chucks. Ditto for sanding.

Nice bowl of balls by the way.

I think this is the way balls have been turned for at least a hundred years.

I use one cup and 1/2 diameter flat pin on the tail center.
I learned it from Christian Burchard It seems to center not quite round balls better and the wooden flat pin can be made to fit most rail centers.

I do some free hand too using just the ring to check.
Generally I find it faster to do 3" balls with a gouge.
Particularly if I'm turning 4-5 of slightly differnt sizes. I can usually get within a 1/8" desired diameter.
Small balls 1-2" go a lot faster and better for me using a jig. Just don't have the working room to use tiny cups efficiently.
And it takes me too long to turn them by eye to be round. If they just have to look round I can do them by eye quickly.

Also new jigs using Hunter carbide do a pretty nice finish cut on the spheres.
The older jigs with HSS scraper bit worked okay on dense woods but not too well on softer woods like walnut.

Al

Last edited:
Thank you very much for those links. It seems perfectly achievable for me. My need arises from wanting to make beads of less than a 1/2" in diameter. A perfect sphere isn't always the goal. The challenge is achieving a good finish all way around and the small size. I've been working between centers and using a tenon. I'll have to turn some cups and give it a try. Thanks again.

cmg

P.S, By the way, nice work,but difficult to comment on ;)

Last edited:
Back