• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Prevents chips from entering under the neck of your T-shirt.....

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Recently, I purchased one of these, and pull it down so that it just covers my neck, and the opening at the top of a T-shirt:
1659399878138.png
This works so well, that I just ordered two more in different colors, so that I have one when the other is in the laundry.

-----odie-----

odie

TOTW Team
Another option is not wearing a shirt. :D
With all the heat we've had lately.....that seems like an option!
Either that, or get A/C in the shop!

-----odie-----

Recently, I purchased one of these, and pull it down so that it just covers my neck, and the opening at the top of a T-shirt:
View attachment 45901
This works so well, that I just ordered two more in different colors, so that I have one when the other is in the laundry.

-----odie-----
I got a spanish ebay site. Can't read it

odie

TOTW Team
-----odie-----
Of course you've upgraded to something new, cuz I just ordered an Odie Autographed model dickie from Amazon last month. It's hard to keep up with all your advanced technology, Odie. Please slow down. ;)

Arrrgh!!! Abast ye scury dogs. Make way for the pirate woodturner or ye will kiss the gunner's daughter and I'll haul ye round the keel....arrgh

Website
www.timsworkshop.com
View attachment 45901

-----odie-----
Finally got around to placing an order myself. Useful for more than just turning. Would also be nice when mowing the lawn and other outdoor chores in the heat of the summer. Ordered 3, all the same pattern, but not the same as Odie - mine has fire and lightning on them. This is where I ordered from. Should be here around the 27th, according to eBay.

I also go to the local Salvation Army store (mainly because it is in the same shopping center as my local Woodcraft) and buy long sleeve button up shirts that I will wear in the shop if I need to cover my arms while working on something in the shop - including turning (unless it is cold enough to put on my heavier turners jacket. Of course, with a well-insulated shop I don't really let it get that cold!)

I can't find a smock big enough to fit me so I bought an extra big Hawaiian print shirt made of polyester I think (slick and chips don't stick) and I use a xl paper binder clip at the throat.

This gaiter would really complete my ensemble though. Plus I wouldn't lose the clip in the shavings.

Try wearing the shirt backwards then you won't need the clip.
That was a very good tip! I was going to take a selfie but I didn't want to embarrass my dog! Picture me ( extra large supersize version of a person) sportin my dk blue Hawaiian shirt (backwards and the collar turned up), shorts and a pair of crocs completing my ensemble........I should mention I'm bald too! LOL I'm waiting for the fed ex or amazon lady to catch me in this get up some day. I'm sure it will be some good conversation around the break room. "You'll never guess what I saw today!!!"

Plus with it backwards the pocket doesn't fill up.

That was a very good tip! I was going to take a selfie but I didn't want to embarrass my dog! Picture me ( extra large supersize version of a person) sportin my dk blue Hawaiian shirt (backwards and the collar turned up), shorts and a pair of crocs completing my ensemble........I should mention I'm bald too! LOL I'm waiting for the fed ex or amazon lady to catch me in this get up some day. I'm sure it will be some good conversation around the break room. "You'll never guess what I saw today!!!"

Plus with it backwards the pocket doesn't fill up.
My elementary ed training showing there. :) I'm glad it worked. Our delivery guy has caught me in a leather apron with respirator and face shield on and didn't blink an eye. They must see some funky stuff.

odie

TOTW Team
This gaiter would really complete my ensemble though. Plus I wouldn't lose the clip in the shavings.

Now that the weather if turning, and we're seeing summer, the neck gaiter is being used daily. During the colder months, I'm still using a cut off zip up neck shirt.....

-o-

Last edited:
Now to just find something to keep all the shavings and sawdust out of my socks. There has to be a simple solution to that problem.

Now to just find something to keep all the shavings and sawdust out of my socks. There has to be a simple solution to that problem.
In all seriousness I wear jeans over my socks and boots and they do a good job of keeping the dust out. Before I go in I blow of my clothes with the air compressor.

With the temps outside hovering the 100 degree mark my garage is usually in the mid 90s. That means shorts and a t-shirt for me. I have the same problem with sawdust in my socks. Mike Peace has a video on YouTube “Woodturning marriage saver” where he uses low hiking gaiters to keep sawdust out of his shoes and socks. He had some neoprene gaiters that he found on Amazon but neoprene sounds hot to me. I’m going to try some called: AONIJIE Low sTrail Gaiters Reflective Ankle Gators.

View attachment 45901

-----odie-----
Great tip! Gotta check this out!

Back