• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Production Turning

Perhaps to be more inclusive the statement should read, “Use the lessons you should have learned in English class …”
I could say that at nine years old when my grandmother passed away, surviving mentally and physically was much more important than an education.

I also could say I was totally on my own at 13, yes there are those cases and I believe even this day and time there are still those out there, through no fault of my own.

I also could say after I was grown I did get a GED, though the English I learned through that program, well, it is what it is.

I do not want to say all of that because I don't like to hear the things folks like to say about that. I am very content in what I have been allowed to accomplish. We owe upcoming taxes, grocery bills, utilities and dues but homes, toys and vehicles are paid for. I do not need to sell a bowl to live okay.

Bill, you and Gerald are correct, I should have learned that in English class, I don't apologize for that but do apologize for not learning proper computer etiquette before posting.

Thanks to everyone's comments. I was busy and didn't get back to this forum for a couple days so had quite a bit to read through :eek:;).( I rather just skimmed through some of it)
I'm guessing I need to sand up further than what I did on those pieces. I only did those up to 220 and briefly with 320. Maybe since its only a wax and oil finish I could go back to 220 and keep sanding further?? and then buff with like steel wool when I put wax on??

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
I could say that at nine years old when my grandmother passed away, surviving mentally and physically was much more important than an education.

I also could say I was totally on my own at 13, yes there are those cases and I believe even this day and time there are still those out there, through no fault of my own.

I also could say after I was grown I did get a GED, though the English I learned through that program, well, it is what it is.

I do not want to say all of that because I don't like to hear the things folks like to say about that. I am very content in what I have been allowed to accomplish. We owe upcoming taxes, grocery bills, utilities and dues but homes, toys and vehicles are paid for. I do not need to sell a bowl to live okay.

Bill, you and Gerald are correct, I should have learned that in English class, I don't apologize for that but do apologize for not learning proper computer etiquette before posting.
Me, I didn't know it was quite exactly computer etiquette, so much as just making replies more readable.

I have been known, myself, to write a "text wall" , if not "practically a novel" many times before. (It is sort of a habit from Facebook posting, where if you hit the enter key to break to a new paragraph, it submits your post instead.)

I usually re-read and proof read my posts before I hit submit, though some things still slip through the cracks... but that's where I end up putting in paragraphs, etc.

But the main point of this reply is, don't feel too bad, Marvin - I don't think you have anything to apologize for.
On the post that likely triggered it I noticed Gerald had put the line in ALL CAPS, but I tend to assume, considering the rest of the post, that it was more of a "hit the Caps lock key and didn't bother to go back and re-type" (which I have done before, too) In short, I'd say long as it isn't a habit (multiple text wall posts, for example), I don't see it as any sort of problem worth commenting about... and compared to some forum posts I have seen and read (big enough to require scrolling nearly 2 or 3 screens worth!), well... :)

Thanks Brian, I actually hit the enter button to make a new paragraph at first, just should hit it twice, been posting since December, just didn't connect the dots on breaking up long texts with spaces...

Last edited:
Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Thanks to everyone's comments. I was busy and didn't get back to this forum for a couple days so had quite a bit to read through :eek:;).( I rather just skimmed through some of it)
I'm guessing I need to sand up further than what I did on those pieces. I only did those up to 220 and briefly with 320. Maybe since its only a wax and oil finish I could go back to 220 and keep sanding further?? and then buff with like steel wool when I put wax on??
Hmm not really - Best sanding advice I got was, when you step up to next grit, stop after the first few seconds, and compare the "scratches" to see if your next grit is removing the scratches from the first grit - a strong raking light (Think of a LED Flashlight shining parallel with the surface) will quickly highlight problem areas - more so especially if you are able to get that light directed WHILE sanding, then you can actually see (via the tracks and patterns left behind) where your sanding work is going...

and if the next grit does not fairly quickly remove the scratches from the prior grit, you may have skipped too far ahead, or you may not have sanded enough in the prior grit (or the prior grit did not get all the scratches from the grit before that) , in which case, it is time to stop and backtrack to lower grits again...
And finally, once you think you have sanded enough, you can try wiping down the surface with a clean rag dipped in mineral spirits or other paint thinner (something that evaporates quickly and doesn't bleach or discolor the wood) - It typically reveals spots that will also show up once finish is applied, BEFORE finish is applied.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com

Marvin, I didn't realize that Gerald's remark was aimed at you in particular. However, I wouldn't assign it any greater importance than it is due, just a gentle request to help the reader with digesting a post. I think that it would have been highly out of character for him to mean anything more than that.

My reply to Gerald was more of a reflection of my own early schooling where English wasn't even close to making my Top Ten list. It wasn't until college that I discovered that even engineers needed to be reasonably fluent in at least one language. I frequently get carried away with run-on sentences and never-ending paragraphs.

Fortunately, our forum etiquette rules don't mention writing style; even spelling, punctuation, and grammar aren't mentioned. Forum posts typically follow a free-form stream of consciousness style. As long as a thought gets communicated we can declare success.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
This has raised the question in my mind about what really is the best method for requesting critique on a piece here in the forum? Is it just here in the Woodturning Discussion sub-forum like Sheldon has done?
Has there been any consideration to a different sub-forum where submitters can request feedback or critique, with the understanding that areas of improvement WILL be called out? Maybe that idea is redundant, or not something that is desired, I don't know. Just curious.

My view of critiques as they exist on forums is primarily experienced turners helping beginners. A real honest-to-goodness in-depth critique needs to be done in a live setting where the turning can be viewed and handled. Trying to critique a turning by looking at a photograph is very limiting, not to mention the quality of the photograph skews the critique. I wouldn't recommend asking for a critique in the forum gallery. I think that this forum or the Getting Started forum are the best places for someone to ask for a critique.

My apologies if anyone thought my comment on paragraphs was pointing to anyone. It was intended as a general shake it up comment to improve readability on the forum. Always great to see the different viewpoints expressed here, even tho I do not agree with all of them.

One thing I learned that made sanding easier and faster for me was that I was sanding with the lathe on too high of a speed. Now I turn it down to around 400 rpm and it made sanding so much easier. I also use a drill with sanding disc until I get to 180. I am getting to the point where some of my projects I can start at 180 which is a huge difference.

Yes, you could go back and sand, or move on and remember the tips herein on future projects. It takes practice to get a scratch free finish, and it depends on the wood, sanding method, and finish as well.

Website
www.turnrobust.com
I make things for people that make things. Some of my harshest criticism has resulted in some of my best improvements. On the bulletin board by my desk is this:

Compliments breed complacency
Criticism leads to correction
Innovation begins with conversation

I think Sheldon is off to a good start. He was trying to make something uniform piece to piece, and in those terms he was successful. If he wanted to make a series of flat bottomed bowls, all with a similar look and feel, he succeeded. Agree with others that I prefer curved forms with no sanding marks. That said, I think he was successful in doing what he intended. Once you can duplicate your results you have learned the required control to make planned changes. Keep at it Sheldon, and I applaud you for asking for critique. Not so many are so brave !

Back