• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Professionalism v. Elitism

Website
www.AndiWolfe.com
In a recent posting I made the following statement:

"I have observed our board of directors doing an excellent job to move AAW to a new level of professionalism over the recent couple of years."

Barry Elder responded with:

"AndiWolfe, I too have observed the movement of the AAW to the "professional" plateau. This leaves the average woodturner with very little representation. And it is this "eliteism", in my humble opinion, that caused me to determine earlier this year, that I would not renew my membership in the AAW. When the organization returns to woodturning instead of "woodart" then I would consider rejoining but I don't think that will happen."

I'm not quite sure how the leap from "professional" to "elite" was made in Barry's mind. As a starting point, here are the relevant definitions according to Dictionary.com:

Professionalism–noun

1. professional character, spirit, or methods.
2. the standing, practice, or methods of a professional, as distinguished from an amateur.

Elitism–noun

1. practice of or belief in rule by an elite.
2. consciousness of or pride in belonging to a select or favored group.

Professionalism includes so much more than (and may have nothing to do with) "artsy," which is the implication made in Barry's statement, and so I felt the need to clarify my reasons for saying that our board has moved AAW to a new level of professionalism. Developments that have occurred in just the past few years include: provisions for providing insurance access to wood turners who may not have other means of obtaining insurance coverage, the youth outreach programs at the national symposium, panel discussions at the national symposium covering everything from making a career of wood turning to the basic biology of wood, outreach activities in the form of traveling exhibits to educate as many people as possible as to what wood turning is all about, publishing the journal archive in pdf for all members to access, etc. There are many other new programs that can be researched on the AAW website for anyone who wants to make the effort to learn what the organization is doing for its membership.

Because our board of directors is an elected body, representing the members who vote for them, there is no way that the word "elitism" could possibly apply here. As far as I can tell, board members work their collective butts off on our behalf with no pay, little thanks, and much armchair criticism from people who have not bothered to inform themselves as to what is actually happening.

With regards to the implied statement that "professional" is equivalent to "elite" and/or "artsy" – again, I have to take exception to that statement. The Professional Outreach Program’s goals as stated on the AAW website are:

"The Professional Outreach Program addresses the needs of professionals within the woodturning field. These professionals include writers, collectors, teachers, demonstrators, and gallery owners or managers. The goals of POP are to improve services to the professional turner and to promote turned wood as a collectable art form. The heart of this program is a comprehensive database that allows communication with our professional members. Through these communications, information can be gathered and dispersed on a large range of exciting projects that will fulfill the goals stated above."

So, the question is, "who is the professional turner?" Yes, it includes those of us who have gone beyond the basic vessel and sell our work as art. However, it also includes production turners who may make a gazillion bottle stoppers and surely make more money per year than the average "artist." It also includes bowl makers and turners who make functional objects for sale. It includes wholesalers and architectural turners. Additively, this is a large group of turners within the AAW – not some "elite" subset as implied by Barry's statement.

The American Association of Woodturners is an organization that is as inclusive as the word "woodturners" can possibly be. The range is from the beginning hobbyist to the professional turner. Yes, most of our members are at the hobbyist stage and are doing woodturning because it brings great joy in the making. I think all of us start there, and the "professional" would not be at that level without the joy in the making still being the driving force. Many want to progress beyond the beginner stage and that is where the local chapter activities, regional and national symposia, and our excellent journal provide information. All of these information sources also cover the basics.

As an example, at the Hartford symposium, there were 15 simultaneous rotations occurring each session. The majority of these involved "throwing shavings off the lathe" and a couple of each of the slots were for panel or surface treatments beyond the lathe. I had a friend with me who has not done much turning and I sent him to sessions on basic pen turning, and "ten essential cuts." For the PoP panel discussions, I didn't notice the same group of people, nor only "professionals," attending these sessions. Ditto for the "beyond the lathe" sessions.

I totally disagree with the sentiment that "professionalism" equates to "elitism." Similarly, I disagree that professionals who make wood art are the only target audience for the AAW or for American Woodturner. When I think of what AAW is to me, I am reminded of Garrison Keeler's statement about Lake Wobegon – "...where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average."

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
In a recent posting I made the following statement:

"I have observed our board of directors doing an excellent job to move AAW to a new level of professionalism over the recent couple of years."

Barry Elder responded with:

"AndiWolfe, I too have observed the movement of the AAW to the "professional" plateau. This leaves the average woodturner with very little representation. And it is this "eliteism", in my humble opinion, that caused me to determine earlier this year, that I would not renew my membership in the AAW. When the organization returns to woodturning instead of "woodart" then I would consider rejoining but I don't think that will happen."
<>
Because our board of directors is an elected body, representing the members who vote for them, there is no way that the word "elitism" could possibly apply here. As far as I can tell, board members work their collective butts off on our behalf with no pay, little thanks, and much armchair criticism from people who have not bothered to inform themselves as to what is actually happening.
<>
I totally disagree with the sentiment that "professionalism" equates to "elitism." Similarly, I disagree that professionals who make wood art are the only target audience for the AAW or for American Woodturner. When I think of what AAW is to me, I am reminded of Garrison Keeler's statement about Lake Wobegon – "...where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average."

Andi,
While the board IS elected, currently, by a lot of us, who they actually represent is (rightfully) in question. I understand your chagrin about the use of the term "elitist" for some of us it does seem out of place (in certain circumstances). However, as I said, we don't know what direction the board is leading us in. They COULD be thinking that the organization needs to cater more to the collectors than the "artists." We have not seen the posting of board meeting minutes for months now. Is that an oversight or an intentional move to keep those intentions under wraps? You are right about us "armchair quarterbacks." I learned that "no good deed goes unpunished" and yet we continue to offer our help. Go Figure? I donate my time and wood on a local level and this was my first (last?) AAW symposium so I selfishly elected not to volunteer for this one.
<>
Due respect, unless you are privy to information the rest of us don't have, you can't know what direction that the Editor or the board wants the AAW to go in.

I remind you, that while your view of the AAW is charming and applicable in a number of ways, Lake Wobegon is not real. The AAW, the board, this situation ARE real.

Let me add this:
I'm not even sure I would object if the AAW WERE to continue to evolve into an ever more elite, "only the cream of the crop," "collectors line up here please" organization. It would just be smaller and probably not include the likes of me, but AAW isn't the only game in town.

.....................................................................................
<>
Let me add this:
I'm not even sure I would object if the AAW WERE to continue to evolve into an ever more elite, "only the cream of the crop," "collectors line up here please" organization. It would just be smaller and probably not include the likes of me, but AAW isn't the only game in town.

George , the AAW would not survive under the circumstances you describe. The "Elites" are certainly smart enough to know the 13,000 member current organization is most probably the magnet and wellspring from which the next newest rising star will emerge. And the ravenous appetite of the collectors for new and different rising stars is well known.

Without the purse of the AAW to showcase so many local and international turners would severely limit the numbers of potential artists popping up on the collectors radar. .

I'll leave with my one final thought. Six out of eight voting directors decided to end Mary's tenure. Are they all co-conspirators, do they all wish to destroy or permanently alter the vision, mission and scope of the organization? Several I doubt even knew each other existed before the last election? Until some one can answer these questions I'm gonna' assume (yes I know what it spells) all was done according to the by-laws set down by the charter members of the AAW.

As someone who worked this last show, I got to learn firsthand how "professional" "some" of the turners are, and how some are already self-"elite". A simple thing like shipping to someone is beneath some of the "artists" and they think they can do what they want.
It is also nice to see that many of the demonstrators are friendly, courteous, and happy to work with the volunteers, but there are some others who could not be bothered even acknowledging the efforts of some of us. I was also very suprised in how short a period that some people who were "regular" last year have now gotten too big for the rest of us.
I will also say I was suprised by some of the people who appear to be "elite" and yet, at the same time are very personable.
I will go straight out on this and thanks David Marks, Graeme Priddle, Jimmy Clewes, Joey Richardson, Hans Weissflog, Christian Buchard, Glen Lucas, and some of the others who did go overboard to thank anyone who helped in any small way.
However, lastly, may you ALL have a nice day

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
To some extent

If you don't promote wood as an art form, there are no collectors, or at least less value to the collections.
If there is no wood as art, there are no wood artists.

Even if all of the above goes away, you will still have elitists, it is the nature of the human persona. Rightfully or not, there are always those who think they are better than you, perhaps that is the theoretical hierarchy of society. I don';t believe it is right, but I do believe it exists.

Some of those elitists are elite in ability, but not in their minds, and are part of the reason we will continue to go watch them demonstrate. We want to learn and flatten the learning curve. Most of them are more than happy to help us. Those that don't, generally don't get repeat demonstration invites.

And regardless of what anyone wants to think, it is still a business.

Lastly, I want to remind everyone of our code of conduct. Incite, invite or bait, and you will be suspended, continue and you will be removed regardless of AAW status.

Last edited:
professionalism-eliteism

Throughout my time as a member of AAW the "professionsal" woodturner, eg., Nick Cook, have been driving forces behind the formation and continuation of AAW. That is not my concern. Eliteism is a natural charactistic of the human being. Live with it.

The problem for me is the lack of ongoing attention or catering to the new or less experienced member in American Woodturner. When it comes to me I find I can whip through it in about 10 minutes and extract all that is of value, or newsworthy as it were. Certainly none of the last issues have alerted me to a problem developing between the ED and the Board. No minutes published, or concern otherwise brought to the attention of the memership via the main contact medium: American Woodturner.

I am a purist. I do not believe "enahancement" of whatever character is woodturning, nor will anyone convince me it is an appropriate part of that craft. Carving, pyrogaphy, airbrushing, coloring, etc., are all a craft apart from, and not part of, woodturning. Do I admire some of the "enhanced" pieces displayed at various locales and in our magazine, sure. But not as woodturning. The pieces I admire are those that display the beauty of nature found in wood in all of its various states of life and death. The skill displayed in the turning process is of equal importance in attracing my attention. The "enhanced" piece never equals the beauty that nature presents in a well developed turned piece.

I also believe AAW is wandering too far from woodturning as it purpose for existence. I question the mission statement concerning outreach to one and all that may be responsive to the "art" of woodturned enhanced pieces. Sounds like a trade orgarization to me. If so, I want no part of it.

Website
www.AndiWolfe.com
Mission statement of the AAW

Found the mission statement for the AAW on the "history of AAW" page of this website:

Our mission is to provide education, information, and organization to those interested in woodturning--a branch of woodworking centered around using the lathe to shape wood. The results range from the familiar to the profound: everything from decorative and functional bowls, boxes, and vessels to furniture and architectural spindles, toys, tools, musical instruments, even sculptural art. Members of the AAW include professionals, amateurs, gallery owners, collectors, and wood and tool suppliers.

The Professional Outreach Program is just that - a program sponsored by AAW for a specific purpose. We also have a youth outreach program and an educational outreach component.

Seems to me that there is room for a lot of variety within our organization . . .

Andi,
While the board IS elected, currently, by a lot of us, who they actually represent is (rightfully) in question.

Let me add this:

Never in question, unless you reject the idea of representative democracy in favor of a me-centered dictatorship. That's true "elitism" - contempt for the very institution, because it doesn't recognize your special status.

As above, vote with your checkbook, but you really can't demand your personal quid pro quo when you do, unless you're talking to Blago....

Andi, I apologize to you for the "leap" from professionalism to eliteism. The professionalism I was referring to applied to woodturners. But the most important point was in the second sentence. The large number of aspiring and relatively new woodturners who can't relate because of their lack of experience. If the AAW is to continue growing and developing, then the large majority of woodturners, some of whom are not members of the AAW, need a comprehensive program like POP to help them grow in their avocation. I have seen professionals in different venues make astounding contributions in their field, just as in the AAW. But then, I have also seen small groups try to gain control of the direction of some of these groups. Call them what you will.

I have suggested before that it would be in the best interests of the AAW if there was something available that was a mobile turning shop that traveled around the entire country stopping in small towns rather than population centers. Many turners in this great land of ours do not have reasonable access to AAW Chapters and some do not have access to computers. If there were a couple of specialized tractor-trailers equipped for this purpose, a vocational school on wheels as it were, it could be pointed to the average everyday person who needed some basics, some different techniques, etc. And if expenses were to be assisted by all the Chapters it might just fly.

Again, let me apologize for not going into a long rambling post originally. It was not my intent to offend or denigrate and I thank you for your time.

Allocation of assets and focus

Firstly, let me say that I love what the AAW is and does. I believe that it has a great vision for developing new turners into professional turners. What I struggle with is the way that it allocates assets and focus.

To that end, if I look at the demographics, I would want to allocate assets within our organization based upon a portfolio of needs. Right now, I think that the greatest need is attracting new, younger turners to sustain the organization in the long term. It is no secret that our "average profile" is an older, retired male. The Youth Program is a great start, however, kids can't spend money. We need to develop a plan for attracting the 25-34 demographic. At 44, I can't be the youngest guy in my club.

Secondly, the AAW's mission of promoting woodturning as a craft/art/whatever begins with building knowledge and skills at the lathe. If you look at the 13,000 members, I suspect that 80% of them are weekend hobbiests with beginner level skills.

The AAW should focus it's programs on elevating the skills of these member to work more safely and efficiently at the lathe so that they naturally progress (or don't) into the other 20%. I would propose that EVERY AAW symposium has a Youth Turning area AND a Beginners Basic Skills/Ask the Experts area where folks who want to get that type of content out of the symposiums could get it. (I'll even put my hand up to be an instructor!)

If we refocus our organization on the majority, I believe that the result will be positive in all directions. Professional turners are already being pushed by "amateurs" to produce newer and more exciting techniques. A walk through the Instant Gallery showed me that there are a lot of VERY good turners that I had never heard of whose work equalled the quality of some of the elite names. Some new demonstrators presentations were far better than some of the more recognized names (they weren't filling the room on reputation). A tide raises all ships.

By attracting younger members into the lifestyle and developing skills at a much earlier point, the organization can only go up. The future holds a very small chance that 12,980 of us will ever sell a piece for "five figures", but perhaps 1000 of us can sell one for "four figures" and most of us could sell one for "three figures".

Website
www.AndiWolfe.com
Professionalism on all levels

I have suggested before that it would be in the best interests of the AAW if there was something available that was a mobile turning shop that traveled around the entire country stopping in small towns rather than population centers. Many turners in this great land of ours do not have reasonable access to AAW Chapters and some do not have access to computers. If there were a couple of specialized tractor-trailers equipped for this purpose, a vocational school on wheels as it were, it could be pointed to the average everyday person who needed some basics, some different techniques, etc. And if expenses were to be assisted by all the Chapters it might just fly.

To that end, if I look at the demographics, I would want to allocate assets within our organization based upon a portfolio of needs. Right now, I think that the greatest need is attracting new, younger turners to sustain the organization in the long term. It is no secret that our "average profile" is an older, retired male. The Youth Program is a great start, however, kids can't spend money. We need to develop a plan for attracting the 25-34 demographic. At 44, I can't be the youngest guy in my club.

Secondly, the AAW's mission of promoting woodturning as a craft/art/whatever begins with building knowledge and skills at the lathe. If you look at the 13,000 members, I suspect that 80% of them are weekend hobbiests with beginner level skills.

The AAW should focus it's programs on elevating the skills of these member to work more safely and efficiently at the lathe so that they naturally progress (or don't) into the other 20%. I would propose that EVERY AAW symposium has a Youth Turning area AND a Beginners Basic Skills/Ask the Experts area where folks who want to get that type of content out of the symposiums could get it. (I'll even put my hand up to be an instructor!)

Barry - sorry to put you on the spot, but your prior response was a good starting point for this discussion thread. I wasn't offended, but spurred to raise the issue about professionalism in the context of the board's activities and as it relates to turners who want to be professional in their work.

It's interesting that both you and Steven Antonucci raise the point about outreach to the beginners and youth that are part of, or could be part of, our organization. I had a discussion at the symposium with Tom Wirsing about some ideas for expanding youth outreach, and I'm sure he'll be doing a follow-up on these as soon as the current firestorm settles down a bit.

The idea about outreach on the basics is a great one, and one that many local chapters have tackled quite effectively with the addition of "beginners corners" to the club meetings. My local chapter does this every month, and the open shop tours offered through the summer are also opportunities for hands-on mentoring. In addition, we offer a series of hands-on mentoring sessions where club members can get some one-on-one help with experienced turners. This format can work very well within the context of a local AAW chapter. There are quite a few turners that don't have access to a local chapter, though, and so the idea of a mobile shop is very attractive. I'm sure there would be a lot of interest in that if it were approached right, with a high level of visibility and advertising.

Following up on some of these ideas with board members and the symposium committee would be a way to make some important contributions. Thanks for bringing this dialogue into the thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
professionalism vs elitism

As a member of the POP committee, let me add my 2 cents to this discussion, if only to clarify our mission statement:
During our POP meeting in Hartford, it was noticed that the POP mission statement posted on the AAW site is the original one, and does not accurately reflect what we are trying to achieve. The full mission statement is as follows, and it will replace the one currently on the site:

"The mission of the Professional Outreach Program is to promote a greater understanding of professionalism within the field of contemporary woodturning."

The Professional Outreach Program Committee operates under the auspices of the Board of Directors of the American Association of Woodturners, and will publicize its activities and achievements in the AAW Journal and at the AAW symposiums.

Our purpose is to:

Encourage and assist members of the woodturning community in
the development of their professional skills.

Help advance and promote the woodturning field as a legitimate
medium of art.

Generate ideas, concepts and programs on subjects of a
professional nature to benefit the woodturning community.

Organize exhibitions.

Conduct a variety of panel discussions of relevant topics on professionalism at AAW symposiums.

Recognize individuals who have demonstrated high
standards of professionalism throughout their careers.

I speak for myself, but I believe all POP Committee members under this banner are committed to act for the benefit of ANY and ALL AAW members, regardless of their specific interest in woodturning.

The diversity of the AAW membership is huge, and includes those that wish to only spend time at the lathe, to serious collectors, to writers, staff members of schools, and so-called "professional" woodturners who willingly share many of their techniques and processes to everyone. We sponsor many programs, such as Instant Gallery Awards, Fellowship Grants, POP Panel discussions, and the newest--the Emerging Artist Program.

Participation in these is available to any member, who we encourage to take part in as much as possible. The artists selected for our sponsored exhibits include many members who are not well-known, but need the opportunity to be recognized as potentially significant contributors to the field.

To those who perceive a correlation of Professionalism to Elitism within the AAW community, I urge you to please look closely at our mission statement, one that all POP committee members take very seriously. There is not a hint of elitism, nor the intent to promote it.

Lastly, this was the first try at the Emerging Artist Program, which by all accounts was a great success. I am also very pleased at the response towards our 10 panel discussions, and urge any member to submit relevant topics for future symposia--all are seriously considered. I have heard many favorable comments about our discussions from members who are not folks that stand at the lathe, but are very much interested in related discussions and dialogues of the field in general. They have something to look forward to at the next symposium.

John Jordan

In Memorium
Website
www.johnjordanwoodturning.com
Firstly, let me say that I love what the AAW is and does. I believe that it has a great vision for developing new turners into professional turners. What I struggle with is the way that it allocates assets and focus.

If we refocus our organization on the majority, I believe that the result will be positive in all directions. Professional turners are already being pushed by "amateurs" to produce newer and more exciting techniques. A walk through the Instant Gallery showed me that there are a lot of VERY good turners that I had never heard of whose work equalled the quality of some of the elite names. Some new demonstrators presentations were far better than some of the more recognized names (they weren't filling the room on reputation). A tide raises all ships.

By attracting younger members into the lifestyle and developing skills at a much earlier point, the organization can only go up. The future holds a very small chance that 12,980 of us will ever sell a piece for "five figures", but perhaps 1000 of us can sell one for "four figures" and most of us could sell one for "three figures".

Steve, there is a youth program every year at the symposium, and it's one of the very best thing that AAW has done. Every year there are many rotations geared toward less experienced turners. It's also true that some of the more interesting pieces, and in particular technically amazing pieces, are brought by folks who are not well known, and very often are hobbyist or amateur turners, that may have no interest in selling work. It's this way every year, and has been true for a long time. This is the reason many of us like to come back. :)

And it should be noted that the auction proceeds go to benefit all AAW members, through the scholarship program. Many, if not most, of the recipients are relatively new or inexperienced turners, and local chapters, which helps them with education within their local group. There have been many, many people who have been helped by the program over the years-a direct help to many aspiring woodturners.

Every year is different, but there is always a good mix of things to see and do. We all want to see and experience and learn new things.:)

John

[
It's interesting that both you and Steven Antonucci raise the point about outreach to the beginners and youth that are part of, or could be part of, our organization. I had a discussion at the symposium with Tom Wirsing about some ideas for expanding youth outreach, and I'm sure he'll be doing a follow-up on these as soon as the current firestorm settles down a bit.

Andi-

Both of my clubs do the same thing. In the larger club, we have an informal mentor program that we use as a fund raiser for the club. Our volunteer mentors (I am one) open up their shop to other members for a variety of topics, but most are basic skills for the beginners. The beginners pay the club, not the mentor, and the club uses the money to fund other activities.

The smaller club doesn't have the same DNA. Instead, what we have is a great facility at our disposal. Once per quarter, we have a "mentoring session" as our meeting topic. It is meant to have someone on the lathe and someone helping them. It builds relationships, skills, and a sense of belonging to a club- not just a group with common interests.

Mentoring is very rewarding. Early on, one of my students asked me how I did something, and I couldn't answer him. I had always "just done it". He actually explained to me what I was doing. We both learned. The AAW has the perfect venue for this type of interaction- pairing VERY good turners with beginners who may or may not have local access to this type of expertise.

While it is great to have the Youth Program, I feel we are missing an opportunity to grow from within. Why not have one place where someone could go to get some face time? There are so many possibilities.

@JPF

I attended several of the panel discussions and I agree- they were great! However, the "Teapot' and "Writing for the AAW" were both somewhat sparsely attended, so perhaps it is an indication that they are somewhat limited in audience. Standing Room Only in John Lucas/Glenn Lucas/Hans Weissflog demos...

EAP was also awesome. I really like the informality of the setting, the ability to explore and converse, and the "edginess" of the topics.

Steve, there is a youth program every year at the symposium, and it's one of the very best thing that AAW has done. Every year there are many rotations geared toward less experienced turners. It's also true that some of the more interesting pieces, and in particular technically amazing pieces, are brought by folks who are not well known, and very often are hobbyist or amateur turners, that may have no interest in selling work. It's this way every year, and has been true for a long time. This is the reason many of us like to come back. :)

And it should be noted that the auction proceeds go to benefit all AAW members, through the scholarship program. Many, if not most, of the recipients are relatively new or inexperienced turners, and local chapters, which helps them with education within their local group. There have been many, many people who have been helped by the program over the years-a direct help to many aspiring woodturners.

Every year is different, but there is always a good mix of things to see and do. We all want to see and experience and learn new things.:)

John

I think we are in violent agreement, John. :)

I am very active in my two chapters, but until Hartford, I was an AAW lurker. Rather than shouting from the stands, I am looking for a helmet to get into the game...

I'd rather get smacked in the grill than wear a skirt cheerleading...I also have a habit of dragging people onto the field with me, so my friends be warned :)

A couple of thoughts....first, the task of getting the next generations interested in the craft should fall on the local woodturning clubs. After all, how many young people are even aware of woodturning, and how many will discover the craft by attending a National Symposium? At the local level, clubs can demonstrate for school groups, scout meetings, etc., and generate far more interest and awareness than by any other method. Clubs interested in pursuing this can apply for an EOG grant to help defray costs or to establish a permanent program.

I know from personal experience that demos that feature advanced coloring or texturing techniques will usually far outdraw demos that stress the basics. We must ask....WHY is this? I believe this is the direction the vast majority of AAW members would like to see their work progress toward.

Keep in mind that there have been attempts to start break-away clubs that focus primarily on "pure" woodturning with little to no success.

Website
www.abhats.com
I believe this thread has kind of wandered over into a discussion on youth activities more than what it started out as. While I strongly agree that there must be a concerted effort by the AAW in this area, with the current direction the association is going in, I'm at a loss to see where the beginning turner gains significant value from membership. They certainly do at the club level, but the Journal, our contests, and everything else are focused on the 'enhancer' level. Royce did completely state where I'm at:

I am a purist. I do not believe "enahancement" of whatever character is woodturning, nor will anyone convince me it is an appropriate part of that craft. Carving, pyrogaphy, airbrushing, coloring, etc., are all a craft apart from, and not part of, woodturning. Do I admire some of the "enhanced" pieces displayed at various locales and in our magazine, sure. But not as woodturning. The pieces I admire are those that display the beauty of nature found in wood in all of its various states of life and death. The skill displayed in the turning process is of equal importance in attracing my attention. The "enhanced" piece never equals the beauty that nature presents in a well developed turned piece.

I also believe AAW is wandering too far from woodturning as it purpose for existence. I question the mission statement concerning outreach to one and all that may be responsive to the "art" of woodturned enhanced pieces. Sounds like a trade orgarization to me. If so, I want no part of it.

'Enhancers' are certainly artists IMHO, not 'elitists' save on an individual personal basis, and their works are in fact works of art. Most times though, it's extremely hard to determine what (if any) turning was done to make them. The name of the association really should be changed if it's to focus more on enhancing than on turning - which it has certainly been doing of late.

As to the 'higher level of professionalism' the current board has brought us to - I'd liken it to taking us to the level of the worst behavior of corporate America. I left that almost ten years ago and refuse to go back to it.

Website
www.californiawoodartist.com
Professionalism versus Elitism

I just can't think of a single reason why there is not room for everyone interested in woodturning, in the AAW. The journal is well done, professional, and attractive in a way that is even intriguing to people who have never been exposed to woodturning. Also, there is much more creative territory to explore, in wood, with no end in sight. Let the advancement of woodturning and creative expression continue freely.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Everyone always seems to bring up the question of why aren't there more beginner articles. Well in truth you can't have a magazine full of beginner articles. How many times can you tell someone how to turn a bowl or sharpen a gouge. Each and every issue of the Journal has an article that is useful to new turners. Fortunately they also have articles that are also useful to the more advance turners.
Let us not forget that this is also a Journal for the AAW. As such it is necessary to report on what is happening in the AAW and the clubs that fall under it. With members who vary from farmers to scholars there is a huge range of backgrounds and experiences to try and please. That's a tough task. They are trying to cover everything from turning a candleholder to what direction the "art" of woodturning is going. You may not like the "art" side, I do. I get bored reading articles about turning a wine stopper (been there, turned hundreds). That doesn't mean I don't think these articles are good and necessary. It just shows both sides of our wonderful hobby.
Will everyone like every article. No. How many times have you bought an album and liked every song? The same is true if you read books by one author. some you will like better than others.
The AAW magazine is taking both the low road for beginners and the high road to produce articles on woodturning as an artform. Some of us like the art side, some of us like the utilitarian side. Fortunately I'm open minded enough to enjoy both. I see art pieces I don't like, but I try to understand why the artist made it. I still may not like it but trying to understand why I don't like it is an education in itself and worth exploring.

Everyone always seems to bring up the question of why aren't there more beginner articles. Well in truth you can't have a magazine full of beginner articles. How many times can you tell someone how to turn a bowl or sharpen a gouge.

You've been reading other forums. Apparently the answer to that is "never enough." Most folks who take up turning go through learning, acquiring, turning, and tiring phases over the course of a few years. The new folks are the lifeblood of the system because they're not only tomorrow's establishment, but today's financing. That's why the association should be courting them by catering to their needs rather than to the egos of those few who are already established and write their "artist statements" in the third person.

Then there's the business of actual artistic ability to be considered. A far greater number of people can swing a gouge - ground to their style - and make a bowl - to their own pattern - than can wood burn bison and tepees on them. Nice to present a challenge and examples of how others do things, but how many articles on burned bison can you put in a magazine?

Face up. You sit there at club meetings and nod your head at the efforts of rank amateurs which are poorly cut, finished and too often repaired just as at the carved, burned or painted monstrosities of the ponytail and Birkenstock set. EXCEPT you can help the folks learn to cut, finish and avoid accidents. You can't teach the others a thing, you cretin. ;)

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
John,

one of the super benefits of the AAW is now all the past journals are on-line

New members get access all the past articles on bowls and sharpening.

What would be useful is for a group of AAW members to sets of articles for beginners.

the bowl set

the pen set

sharpening set

-Al

RE: Youth Outreach

Maybe the AAW should approach the BSA and GSA about offering merit badges for woodturninng.

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
RE: Youth Outreach

Maybe the AAW should approach the BSA and GSA about offering merit badges for woodturninng.

What an absolutely BRILLIANT IDEA!

Woodturning Merit Badge

A BSA merit Badge for Woodturning actually existed from 1930 - 1952, when it was discontinued. With today's resurgence of interest, it would be neat to see if it could be resurrected.

Website
www.etsy.com
Amateur vs. Professional

Being a rank amateur at woodturning, I'd like to add an idea into this mix Andi has brought up, and that is that I consider there is some responsibility on the part of new members and beginners to find and utilize all the resources our professional members have made available, both on the website and in person, through affiliation with the AAW.
It is only natural that those professionals, who have been around the club for many years, will take the lead in doing what needs to be done to run the organization. It also seems reasonable to believe they would want to advance the organization and move it forward step by step into a more and more professional vision. What is overlooked by critics of this movement is that they've already left a long trail of provided resources to guide and bolster new members and beginners.
One of the first things I did as a new member a few years ago was purchase the paperback book collections of previous articles from the Journal, both to my benefit in learning a new craft, and to the club's benefit in adding to the coffers to run it. I am ever thankful for those collections of information. Nick Cook, John Lucas, Russ Fairfield, all these 'old guys' :) have done beginner's articles for years, and they are still available and being added to all the time.
I also think the criticized 'movement toward elitism' is a natural progression of turners developing new ideas and pushing their skill sets after mastering the basics. We don't all have to follow their direction, and probably shouldn't, but it sure is fun to see where their creative minds lead them next.
The new look of the Journal is an improvement, and its focus is to cover what is current among its active members. I think Betty Scarpino is doing a wonderful job of balancing both sides, the practical and the 'over-the-top' as some see it. American Woodturner is one of the few magazines I receive that I'm inspired to read cover to cover, as every article presents at least something of interest. If a reader is only interested in pen-turning, then they may have to look elsewhere, but seeing what is currently popular in galleries world-wide is a sure inspiration to push me into techniques I wouldn't have thought to try otherwise.
So, I don't see this as 'elitism.' I see this forward movement as a natural progression of advanced creativity. It is up to the beginner or amateur, even an advanced amateur, to make use of all the resources so generously made available by our professional members. I, for one, appreciate them very much!

Hey Barry, I like your idea for a traveling wood turning school on wheels.
Let me be the first to apply for this position, if it should ever happen:cool2:

Our local club had some Boyscouts in for woodturning training. They all had a great time.
We did get a new member out of the class as well.

Website
turnedbygeorge.com

Our local club had some Boyscouts in for woodturning training. They all had a great time.
We did get a new member out of the class as well.

I don't know where, but we did have someone else make that recommendation.. I think it's brilliant. I did learn that there used to be a badge for turning, but it fell out of fashion. But at least there is precedent.

I would think that Their headquarters would be the place to go once the board approves some kind of program for the local clubs to use.

What I was thinking of is more or less a combined effort on the part of the BSA and AAW. If AAW approached the BSA/GSA with a well-planned curriculum AND a commitment to provide mentors as well as group instruction through local chapters during the process it may have a much better chance of coming into existence. Obviouslly, support from the chapters would be stronger in some parts of the country than others. I don't think it could happen without s strong commitment on AAW's part.

I think what needs to happen is to find someone who has a strong connection to the higher-up levels in the BSA. This connection between the AAW and BSA has come up a couple of times in the past two years and everyone is enthusiastic. There have been attempts made to work with local or regional BSA representatives, but the message is that the work needs to be accomplished at the national level. The interest is there from the administration and BoD.

If anyone has a connection with the BSA at the national level, that would be a good place to begin.

scouts

My name is Reg Hawthorne chairman of the Association of Woodturners of Great Britain. I've just read the posts regarding scouts and guides and possibility of working with them. I have just started working with the Scouts in Great Britain at a National level and we are running a trial with several troops at the moment. It is not for a woodturning badge but for the creative element in several of their top badges. We have agreed assessment criteria etc.and hope to start running this out across the country shortly using our branches and interested members. I'm sure the badges are different in the USA but if anyone is interested I'm quite happy to talk to them.By the way over here I got told off for saying boy scouts (it apparently showed my age)--they are now Scouts and are boys and girls.

a few thoughts,

-It would be great if there could be a Woodturning Merit Badge again
-There is a Woodworking badge that some kind of turning could be incorporated into the project portion
-Even though for hands on, they need to be a little older, at the cub scout level leaders are often looking for things to help their awareness of the world grow.(tours through businesses, shops, demos etc) At that age they are very open and excited by new things, so it might be a fertile time to sow the seeds for later interest.
-In our area at least in the grade schools have parents come in and talk to the kids about their occupations. As a professional woodworker I went m every year my kids were there and showed them how to saw, to use hand planes, showed them samples of joinery, presentation on decorative veneering etc. (I didn't have a small lathe at the time or I would have taken it). They always seemed to really enjoy it and even though that was almost 15 years ago, I still run in to young adults that tell me they remember it and really liked it. I also still save unusual wood scraps in my shop for teachers to use in glue sculpture projects in their classes.
- many school art programs in our area, that haven't been outright cut, are not provided many resources or much funding for materials. I would guess that many teachers would welcome demos or input from clubs.

All the best, Bill

Back