• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Project Planner for Mac

Does anyone know of a program like Woodturner Pro for the Mac?
Having been in graphic design I have only used Apple operating systems.
I know that I can run Parallels or Boot Camp and then purchase a Windows OS
to run Woodturner Pro, but there must be a program for Mac users, right?

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
Not a direct answer, but I recently discovered a program called CrossOver, which is a commercial implementation of the open source project Wine. (Using the free open source Wine would undoubtedly work fine if you are technically proficient, I took the easy route) It allows you to run Windows programs on a Mac or other Unix machine without having to install Windows. It is really quite remarkable how well it works; you make a "bottle", which is an environment in which the Windows program functions while sharing resources and files across the system. According to my son the programmer, it has had development resources the equivalent of a small country poured into it over the last 15 years.

I only have one or two Windoze programs I ever need to run, not having to actually install the OS makes it vastly more pleasant.

Website
www.prairiewoodart.com
I second Roger's response. Crossover has worked well for me. There is no need to purchase more Windows systems nor partition your Mac's hard drive. Installing programs into the "bottle" is not much different than performing a fresh installation onto your computer.

I do not think Lloyds programs will work on Apple operating systems. I bought a cheap laptop for is so I could work with it in my chair. There was something about maximum price structure in the App Store that made it impossible for him to make money on their system.…that’s why it never happened.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
I do not think Lloyds programs will work on Apple operating systems. I bought a cheap laptop for is so I could work with it in my chair. There was something about maximum price structure in the App Store that made it impossible for him to make money on their system.…that’s why it never happened.
If you're using Crossover it's not running on the Apple OS, but on an emulation of the Windows environment. You load and run the Windows version.

Back