• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Putting bowls in the sun a waste of time?

In the interest of speeding up the process of curing/drying the danish oil I've set some bowls out in the sun. Is this a waste of time or will it help/damage? I want to turn the tenon off with vacuum and don't want to draw the finish through. I figure to bring them in at night and put them back out tomorrow maybe longer?

Attachments

• IMG_20230623_100319445_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230623_100319445_HDR.jpg
    941.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
I converted an old refrigerator into a drying box and can now take a bowl from dead green to 12* in a couple months. 12* is about as good as it gets around here. Even kiln dried wood will acclimate to that level.

I converted an old refrigerator into a drying box and can now take a bowl from dead green to 12* in a couple months. 12* is about as good as it gets around here. Even kiln dried wood will acclimate to that level.
I should have been more specific. These bowls are dry, just the finish (danish oil) needs cured.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
I don’t believe the sun will do any damage, aside from maybe accelerating some color change like Charles said. That said, what’s the rush? (I get it though—just curious if you have a show/market coming up). You could always use Tom Gall’s vacuum disc setup so you don’t have to worry about a ring.

I don’t believe the sun will do any damage, aside from maybe accelerating some color change like Charles said. That said, what’s the rush? (I get it though—just curious if you have a show/market coming up). You could always use Tom Gall’s vacuum disc setup so you don’t have to worry about a ring.
I've been looking around for some mdf. so far i've got a 8 x 12 piece so wouldn't be a very big disc. Need to get to town and buy a piece but I forget about it when there. I've tried the "making a list" thing too. and it's typical. I forget the list.
My goal is to have some bowls to peddle at the "scenic drive" (fall festival first two week ends in oct.) Hopefully to finance some more of this hobby. I try to make at least one candy dish a day. Some are bigger than others! My sister does a booth and sells her handmade greeting,wedding,thank you and whatever else card you can think of. I ask her who mails cards anymore and I don't get a favorable response but she decided I needed to join her in this endeavor.

I ended up bringing them in out of the sun though. The freshest ones, oil was coming out and was a little sticky. Wiped those off and they will definitely have to be beall buffed after cure.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
In the interest of speeding up the process of curing/drying the danish oil I've set some bowls out in the sun. Is this a waste of time or will it help/damage? I want to turn the tenon off with vacuum and don't want to draw the finish through. I figure to bring them in at night and put them back out tomorrow maybe longer?
Most curing oils need *heat* to cure, Sun (UV rays) can cause undesirable discoloration I would imagine.. You can stick them in a box with a heat source (I'd research on ideal curing temperatures for the oil you are using) to heat them more evenly and maintain a constant temperature - Putting them in sun and then bringing them back in you may tend to gain moisture (from condensation) as they cool back down. Just IMHO, nothing scientific about my thoughts on it. I've put some pieces finished with pure linseed oil (polymerized) in a box with a 60 watt light bulb providing heat source for a couple days, and they seem to cure much faster than those that I had sitting out in the sunshine (One was on display at farmer's market, and sun caused oil to seep out of the pores, while the ones that had fully cured (including a small dish that I'd had in the heat box) did not have any problems.. Might be something to bear in mind (and/or research?) Did a quick look at Watco Danish oil , and they do say your results are affected by temperature and relative humidity , with ideal conditions (80 degrees, 50% Relative Humidity) being 72 hours to the "recoat" time, and I would tend to assume perhaps a bit longer for a full cure that won't weep in the sunshine... https://www.rustoleum.com/~/media/D.../English/CBG/Watco/WAT-02_Danish_Oil_TDS.ashx

So I suspect your dry or cure time is going to depend heavily on your ability to control the temperature and humidity the piece experiences (as well as your application process)

Sam you could cut the tenon off with a saw.
This is what I do to remove them. I mount the bowl on a chuck but I don't put the bottom of the bowl flush on the top of the chuck, I leave a gap about twice or 3 times the width of the saw blade then I start cutting away. I hand rotate the bowl on the lathe with my my left hand while I saw with my right until the tenon is gone or almost sawed through. I use a Japanese hand saw for this. If I'm worried about dropping the bowl I'll bring the tail stock mounted with a rubber chucky or something soft up to almost touching the bowl this allows me to catch the bowl after I saw it through. If I'm worried about hitting the bowl with the saw (I've done that plenty of times) I'll stick some painters tape around the tenon and remove when I'm done.
When I'm done I power sand the bottom of the bowl and then I apply finish to the bottom (everything else has been finished).

Last edited:
There's an idea! I could have put bondo in the hole I excavated in a boxelder bowl a little bit ago and then air brushed it and then clear coated and and... No wait I went the half a...s method and put some epoxy this time. Damn coffee grounds I couldn't get to stick in this bowls twin nor saw dust with ca. So eventually my reddish patch here is going to stick out like a sore thumb or a zit on the end of a nose when the flame goes out in this boxelder.

First time I've ever messed with epoxy. Bondo would have been better! lol

Attachments

• IMG_20230623_172720037.jpg
    IMG_20230623_172720037.jpg
    395 KB · Views: 25
Why do you leave the tenon on I don't see any advantage to leaving it on.
It's just my process. I final turn a dry roughed out bowl on the outside using a friction chuck and tailstock. Then while it's still on the lathe I sand the outside. Flip the bowl around, mount in the four jaw chuck and turn the inside. Again while still on the lathe I sand the inside. Then I usually apply finish whether danish oil, shellac friction polish or sometimes tried and true or walnut oil. I remove from the lathe and set aside for the finish to cure. Then so far it's been once a week I will use the vacuum chuck and remove the tenon from the batch of bowls from the previous steps. I sand the little spot left from that and put a finish on that last spot off the vacuum chuck and the bowl is done. I have been gravitating more to just danish oil because it's pretty simple to put on the spot where the tenon was.

There are probably better ways to do this but this is the way I have been doing it and it works with the equipment/experience I have so far.

In that process where would you remove the tenon?

Website
It's just my process. I final turn a dry roughed out bowl on the outside using a friction chuck and tailstock. Then while it's still on the lathe I sand the outside. Flip the bowl around, mount in the four jaw chuck and turn the inside. Again while still on the lathe I sand the inside. Then I usually apply finish whether danish oil, shellac friction polish or sometimes tried and true or walnut oil. I remove from the lathe and set aside for the finish to cure. Then so far it's been once a week I will use the vacuum chuck and remove the tenon from the batch of bowls from the previous steps. I sand the little spot left from that and put a finish on that last spot off the vacuum chuck and the bowl is done. I have been gravitating more to just danish oil because it's pretty simple to put on the spot where the tenon was.

There are probably better ways to do this but this is the way I have been doing it and it works with the equipment/experience I have so far.

I turn my tenons off between a friction chuck and the tailstock live center - I learned to turn them down to a tiny cone-shaped nub that with practice you can turn down to less than 1/16 inch and then with lathe off, push in your detail gouge and rotate bowl by hand cutting through that bit of nub that is left. Granted, it does not allow for access for adding details to the bottom/foot like some folks do, but that is my process.. I don't have a vacuum chuck and so far have not really even considered one.. If not wanting to try and turn it down that fine (or don't have detail gouge that can do the trick) can turn it down to as small a nub as you can get and then slice it off with a chisel or flush cut trim saw, then sand away.

if I wanted to add foot detail to the bottom I could always mount the bowl rim in my home made longworth chuck.. Or another one I have considered (but have yet to try) is turn a flat platter and then just cut a nice fitting groove in the diameter that the bowl rim will *just* fit (Though that'll have to be done very quickly after finish turning as the bowl, no matter how dry it may be, will always move and rim goes out of round, even by a tiny bit) - once bowl rim seats in that groove, a few dots of hot melt glue (or screw in some wedge shaped nylon/poly "corks" as used in my longworth chucks, snugged up into sides, screwed into the waste block/platter)

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com

If it's working for you, that's good.

For me, I usually will do as you've done except I don't finish on the lathe. After finishing the inside, I'lll flip the bowl around on either a friction or vacuum chuck (usually it's the same chuck, just sometimes don't turn on the vac and use tailstock pressure - depends on the piece, as in no point in the vac if there's tons of bug holes etc). I take the tenon off and complete the foot. If I can't use the vac, then the tailstock nub gets cut/sanded off and that spot finish sanded.
Off the lathe, it gets signed then finish (usually walnut oil for my bowls). I watch it for a day or so to wipe down any surface oil that comes up.

I know you had issues on a bowl with sawdust getting pulled thru by the vacuum. Make sure you're blowing out the pores (all sides of the bowl) before turning on the vac. And for porous woods, maybe don't sand the bottom on the lathe w/vac. Or use a flat disc vacuum chuck (seal around your bowl rim).

Wonder what the most UV resistant finish is?
Other than paint as Charles suggested I would guess a water based poly, but this is a film finish. I tried it on an apple bowl, very little change to the color. I thinned it down and rubbed it on with a rag, worked good but it raised the grain so you have to sand between coats, I used 400 grit and applied 3 coats. When I was finishing oak trim in my house the vendor had me use the water based poly and it held the natural color with very little change over the years.

Danish oil is not affected by the sun(heat) but by oxygen. The chemistry involves polymerization of the molecules using an oxidative process. Different brands of oil vary in composition so the reaction kinetics are also different. Using the same brand for a benchmark and figuring out suitable conditions for the chemistry is your best bet for optimal conditions. Accelerating the reaction can be tough though to give you good results. In some cases trying to speed up the process can do more harm than good.

It is well known that exposure to sunlight causes sanding scratches, swirls, and other defects to appear in finished bowls. Be wary :cool:
But.. But... the other day in that class I took the teacher said mostly only other turners will notice those kinds of things....... (I kind of questioned his credentials in my mind after that).

Although I did work in a car factory and they taught the same thing. "Most customers won't notice that" and the drivers side is most important etc..

I do try to put out the best I can and do hope to get better because I really don't like sanding.

Through experiments I have found a bit of heat accelerates drying/curing of oils, danish oil, poly. In the winter I use a dying box, in warmer months I set the piece in the sun with no detrimental affect to the finish. You will need to check for bleed out and wipe it off before it dries.

Putting them in the sun is a good idea.

Tenon - There’s not a right or wrong. I leave the tenon on all my pieces until I’ve applied finish and buffed the piece. I prefer to have the piece mounted vs the buff, and I’ve never had a piece get yanked out of my hands.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Through experiments I have found a bit of heat accelerates drying/curing of oils, danish oil, poly.

If it's just a spot or two, I've used a hair dryer to speed it up a bit, but this isn't applicable to an entire bowl....heat does seem to help in these cases, but extended time left out to dry is the best way to cure Danish oils......

-o-

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
But.. But... the other day in that class I took the teacher said mostly only other turners will notice those kinds of things.....
Probably mostly sometimes true... but... consider that you are also one of those "other turners" and will notice "these kinds of things". You are your first customer. If you're not happy with your work, whatever others think doesn't matter so much IMO.

Also... it's not so much that those "other turners" can notice things, it's that we know what to look for and can identify things (sanding scratches, tool marks, flat spots, etc). Non-turners will subconsciously "see" something and think "I don't really like it"or "it's not as good as this other one" - but they just can't identify why they feel that way.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
if I wanted to add foot detail to the bottom I could always mount the bowl rim in my home made longworth chuck.. Or another one I have considered (but have yet to try) is turn a flat platter and then just cut a nice fitting groove in the diameter that the bowl rim will *just* fit (Though that'll have to be done very quickly after finish turning as the bowl, no matter how dry it may be, will always move and rim goes out of round, even by a tiny bit) - once bowl rim seats in that groove, a few dots of hot melt glue (or screw in some wedge shaped nylon/poly "corks" as used in my longworth chucks, snugged up into sides, screwed into the waste block/platter)
Before I set up my first vacuum system (1994) I used several sized discs (with a tenon glued on the back) mounted in a chuck. To this I added 2" rigid styrofoam insulation (used to be blue or pink) with double-sided tape. Cut a groove to match your bowl rim - mount the bowl with tailstock pressure. A little compression in the foam will occur (a good thing) and then use masking tape (2") from the foot of the bowl and stretch over the disc. Depending on the size of your bowl 4 or 8 strips is usually sufficient. The tape sticks better to a finished surface than unfinished wood but will still work. Also, best to have the disc size close to your rim size (not a 6" rim and a 12" disc) because the tape will flap around in the breeze when you turn the lathe on. ;) Do your business on the foot - cut tape - done! The styrofoam will last a long time for many bowls and sizes and is simple to replace when needed. BTW, the styrofoam comes in handy for many things around the shop from noise & vibration reduction, shims, motor mounting, tool holders/protectors, etc.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
I leave the tenon on all my pieces until I’ve applied finish and buffed the piece. I prefer to have the piece mounted vs the buff, and I’ve never had a piece get yanked out of my hands.
Me too. Another advantage - I turn the lathe on a slow speed and buff with 4" wheels. The finish doesn't have to be totally cured and you will never have any burn through of the finish because the wheel is never in the same place long enough for that to happen.

Website
Danish oil is not affected by the sun(heat) but by oxygen. The chemistry involves polymerization of the molecules using an oxidative process. Different brands of oil vary in composition so the reaction kinetics are also different. Using the same brand for a benchmark and figuring out suitable conditions for the chemistry is your best bet for optimal conditions. Accelerating the reaction can be tough though to give you good results. In some cases trying to speed up the process can do more harm than good.
Makes me wonder if you could stick it in , say, a plexiglas box, and then add in some bottled Oxygen (from a mapp torch kit or oxyacetylene welding set) if that O2-rich environment might accelerate the process...

Through experiments I have found a bit of heat accelerates drying/curing of oils, danish oil, poly. In the winter I use a dying box, in warmer months I set the piece in the sun with no detrimental affect to the finish. You will need to check for bleed out and wipe it off before it dries.

Putting them in the sun is a good idea.

Tenon - There’s not a right or wrong. I leave the tenon on all my pieces until I’ve applied finish and buffed the piece. I prefer to have the piece mounted vs the buff, and I’ve never had a piece get yanked out of my hands.
Doug, if I understand you buff while the piece is held by the tendon in the lathe. If so, can you explain this better and what speed you are turning the bowl. Also are you holding the buffing wheel by hand?

Doug, if I understand you buff while the piece is held by the tendon in the lathe. If so, can you explain this better and what speed you are turning the bowl. Also are you holding the buffing wheel by hand?
Tenon held in the chuck mounted on the lathe. I use 6” buffs in a 1/2” hand drill that goes to 2400 rpm I think, which matches surface speed of an 8” buff at 1800. I buff at this speed, then dial the speed back to ~1800 drill rpm for carnauba wax.

I run the lathe at min speed of my lathe, 100rpm. I do stop the lathe and touch up areas without the lathe running. For natural edge/eneven rim or surface I just rotate the piece by hand.

I have an assortment of smaller round and mushroom buffs for smaller stuff.

I always turn the tenon off using a vacuum Chuck before I apply any finish. I don’t see the advantage to applying it before.
I'm probably going to switch to this way because I'm mostly using danish oil these days and I don't think it's necessary to use the lathe. Before I was using it to friction polish some bowls and other finishes as much as possible while I was waiting for my vacuum set up to get here. Needed the tenon to re-center the bowl on the vacuum chuck. Or at least seemed easiest to me that way.

And if I end up beall buffing more bowls might as well do that in batches too and have the tenon off before . I have the beall system with the 8 inch extension on the spindle and a single buff at a time. Although now that I think of it I do have that dental lathe under the lathe now that was made for buffing, could try something there too I guess. it has two speeds, 1725 and 3000 something I believe.

Then again the inlay on rims I've seen has got me wanting to try it so back to tenon on.... Guess it comes down to individual candy dishes and what you hope to achieve.

Last edited:
I do it a little different most of the time. I set up my vacuum chuck and with the vacuum off I remove the majority of the tenon and cut a dovetail recess (about 1/8” deep) so I can use my O’Donnell chuck in the expansion mode to apply my finish. Then with the vacuum on I remove the remaining tenon. I then chuck the piece up and apply my finish while on the lathe.

I do it a little different most of the time. I set up my vacuum chuck and with the vacuum off I remove the majority of the tenon and cut a dovetail recess (about 1/8” deep) so I can use my O’Donnell chuck in the expansion mode to apply my finish. Then with the vacuum on I remove the remaining tenon. I then chuck the piece up and apply my finish while on the lathe.
How do you get rid of the recess after?

In my process the sequence of steps is: Turn outside/make tenon, reverse/clean up the outside from runout/turn the inside, sand inside and out, put on vacuum chuck/take off tenon/resand the outside, remove from lathe/notice flaws/wish I could put back in the chuck/say oh well, apply finish, notice sanding scratches/say something worse than oh well/spot sand, reapply finish. Isn't this how everybody does it?

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
I always turn the tenon off using a vacuum Chuck before I apply any finish. I don’t see the advantage to applying it before.
Quite a few advantages, Rusty. By using the "lathe-chuck-tenon" as a THIRD hand it is:
* Quicker and easier to apply finishes and wipe off finishes with lathe on (very slow speed) or lathe off.
* Easier to de-nib if necessary between coats.
* Easier to scuff the final coat (#0000 or fiber pads) before waxing or Beall buffing. (see other posts about that process)
* Easier to make any repairs if necessary ... and you'll never drop or bump a slippery oil covered bowl.
* A dried finish will give a much better seal when you use the vacuum chuck to remove the tenon and finish/decorate the foot/bottom.

So many things in turning can be contradictory and be successful. I don’t see any advantage to turning the tenon off before applying finish, for all the reasons @Tom Gall stated.

I actually want the area inside the foot to look different. I use a non yellowing water clear finish inside the foot to preserve the original wood color. Many of my turnings have a some or a lot of dye added, but even an oil or poly will yellow and darken the wood. I want the receiver of the piece to see the raw, original wood color.

Trying to be fair, not contrary--What are the 'cons' of finishing on the lathe?

Here are a couple that occur to me:
Makes a mess of the lathe​
Applying finish with a turning/windmilling piece, in the area where all the sanding dust was generated, increases the nibs​
Ties up the lathe while the finish dries​
When you later have to remove the tenon, you've got to blend the finish together between the first and last sections​
2 episodes of finish work instead of just one, less efficient​

Back