• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Question about filling voids in pressure chamber

Hi, when filling voids in pieces of wood in the past I have had some crazy adventures. Build up bizarre dams and so on. More often then not, when I get to turning I end up with a big old air bubble right at the surface level I need. It's pretty much always a debacle. So I started thinking, what about using a pressure pot to make sure the epoxy gets all the way down into the void and there isn't an epoxy void in the middle. So in thinking about that, I wonder, do I need to put my whole bowl in a vat of epoxy and pressurize that? Or can I do it in a more targeted manner. It would kind of suck to half turn a bowl notice some voids, and then end up with a bucket sized blank when I'm done. Just wondering how folks do it.
Thanks,
Raif

Yes, I did after my post. Sorry. But was wondering if when you use the pressure pot, do you need to engulf the entire piece or, is say the whole is on the bottom half can you just submerge that part.
Thx

Yes, I did after my post. Sorry. But was wondering if when you use the pressure pot, do you need to engulf the entire piece or, is say the whole is on the bottom half can you just submerge that part.
Thx
I think you'd be fine just doing the bottom if that's where the void is. The other thing you can do instead of having a big block of resin is fill up most of the space inside with scrap wood.

Back