• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Question for a new lathe

I have a Rikon 70-050VS lathe on order. The lathe is a benchtop model. While reading odie's thread on vibration and the many replies, I came up with a question. I have considered keeping the base for my old HF lathe, #37406, and adding a heavy top of some sort. Or I could build a stand/bench from scratch. I want to have something that is stable and would hold up. I have access to a cabinet shop that has scraps of countertops that wind up in the dumpster; I could splurge and actually buy a piece for a top.:eek: Your suggestions are most welcome. Thanks.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I like the Ernie Conover stand that Dean posted.

How sturdy is the HF stand? If it is anything like the ones that I have seen at the local HF store in the last few years, I already know the answer. A decent stand can be improved by making it stiffer with gussets and cross bracing. AA not-s0-good stand may be more trouble than it is worth. Adding weight to the top does nothing to improve a stand and very likely would make it more wobbly if it is already marginal.

Mass is good for stability, especially if the mass behaves as one rigid piece or at least tightly coupled pieces. If you feel compelled to go dumpster diving, at least go in with a plan for stiffening the structure. That way you are putting the mass to work and not just letting it go along for the ride.

Hi, Dean! I was searching the 'Net and found several, one very similar to this one. May modify it a bit. Get some sand for weight and put in a tool rack. However, 2x3? Rip a 2x4? I would just use a 2x4. Saw one that used 4x4's- thing must weight a ton! Thanks for the link.
Bill, the old lathe had a 42 inch bed, if I recall. It wasn't in the league of Jet, et al. but didn't walk or vibrate. Surprised as it is painted metal. I might just make one for the new lathe. Gives me an excuse for some shop time.

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
While it looks nice and has lots of nice features, I would have problems with not being able to get close enough because of the enclosed cabinet and the mobile base. I like splayed legs because the broader footprint means better stability.

That's one of the reasons I like these newer lathes with sliding heads which I can see would be much nicer to work with then the older lathes with base cabinets.

Having cast legs & the ability to move the head in away from the legs or all the way to the end of the bed definitely has advantages.

Back