• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Raised spot (dimple)

Bill, if you are going to be in Atlanta and there is a lathe to play on, I have wood and tools, and 600 and 1000 grit CBN wheels... Don't have the old school wheels any more though...

robo hippy

Jamie,
'Hardened' steel is fine on CBN wheels, which means that bench chisels, card scrapers, and hand saw blades are generally fine. I have made a scraper or three out of an old hand saw. The garden shovel or a lawn mower blade are not. The metal under the tantung on a Big Ugly tool is a bit soft. I have found that the Trend lapping fluid works better at getting build up off your wheels than a heavy duty scraper.

robo hippy
Speaking of lapping fluid, I was about to order some to clean my DMT diamond card with. Would something like WD40 work for that? or some other common workshop chemical?

That I really don't know. Kerosene has been a lapping fluid forever, along with WD40, and various oils, like the 3 in 1 oil. I do know that you do not use an oil on a water stone though. When Cindy Drozda used oil on her old Woodcraft diamond grinding wheel, she used a vegetable oil, and it worked. Think I need a slow drip and brush like Cindy used. Good idea, but she took that video down. I plan on chatting with her at the Symposium.

robo hippy

Given that vegetable oil can go rancid that wouldn't be my first choice. Mineral oil?

Trend has a lapping fluid that they say can get fully into the diamond particles where WD-40 can't. I haven't tried it, just noting it's out there. I'm still a cave man using WD-40...

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Speaking of lapping fluid, I was about to order some to clean my DMT diamond card with. Would something like WD40 work for that? or some other common workshop chemical?

Everything that I have read says to use water and a little dishwashing detergent so that is what I have used for the last twenty years or so. The instructions that came with my DMT bench stones says to use them wet and never use any kind of oil with them. I use my DMT "credit cards" dry and just occasionally wash them. A little detergent helps wash away the metal particles.

Back