• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

re-setting up a grinding station

I've never been happy with my sharpening results so the other day I took a look at my grinding station.

I figured I was pretty clueless when I originally set it up a few years ago. (still am) And have a better idea these days. (or not)

Went online and took another look at the installation instructions from one-way on the wolverine jigs. I found that I was 1/4 short on my grinder height. Instead of the stated 6.25 to 6.5 that was wanted in the instructions, I had set mine to 6 for whatever reason.

So shimmed up the grinder and made everything within the instruction "specs"

That 1/4 inch must not make much of a difference though I think because I've been using it since the beginning that way and have completed bowls without too many problems.

Anyone know how that would have affected my results? I haven't had a chance to really try it out yet other than messing around with a spindle which is not a strong point for me.

Just looking at my sharpening results the wings look the same on the gouges but I figure there has to be a difference somewhere or else why would they be so specific on the minimum of 6.25?

I don't think it matters. The key is that you do everything consistently every time. For example, it doesn't matter if the gouge extends 1.75, 2.0, or 2.25 past the jig. The only thing that matters is doing it the same every time.

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
It doesn't really matter. The thing that matters is the angle(s) you end up with on your gouge.

Untitled drawing.png

The important thing is the distance from the pocket in the arm to the wheel. That's why devices such as the Raptor gauges work - they help you set that distance, regardless of your grinder height.

If you are setting your arm based on horizontal distance (extension) and you change the height (and don't compensate), then certainly that will change the distance to the wheel and will change your tool grinds.

I figured with my grinder platforms I used to make that 1/2 inch piece of plywood on the platform made for about a 5 degree more acute/pointy bevel. So, your tools will have a slightly more acute bevel angle.

robo hippy

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
This is the angle that matters when setting your platform.
Untitled drawing-2.png
If you measure this angle (or match it to your gouge bevel) when setting up the platform, it doesn’t matter what height it is at (as long as it’s on a reasonable portion of the wheel).

The height of the platform only matters if it has an angle gauge built-in to the platform, in which case the manufacturer has expectations about where it sits relative to the wheel.

Back