• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Replacement Lead Screw for Jet JWL-1220VS

Hi There. New to this site but enjoying everything I've seen and read so far. I recently started to notice some issues with my tailstock - I own a Jet 1220VS that I bought used a few years ago and have happily used ever since. Took it apart to clean everything and noted that the collar on the lead screw is worn out - possibly from overtightening, not sure. I have tried to find the lead screw for this all over the internet with no success. I've written in a customer service question to Jet to see if it's possible to get a replacement directly from them, but no response yet. Does anyone out there have advice? Thanks!

Wish I could help, but getting any response from Jet JPW) is almost impossible.

I ordered some parts (replacement tension adjuster) for my Jet bandsaw in January of 2022. My bandsaw is still in their current catalog, so I figured they would have parts readily available.

They shipped one part (a washer) right away, but not the remaining 2 parts (the threaded tension rod itself and the square nut) .

Several emails and phone calls went unanswered.

Finally in September of 2022 I got a phone call from their parts CS ... it seems the credit card I used when I placed the order had expired in June and they needed a new credit card to complete the order. I gave them the requested info, and the person I spoke to assured me my parts would ship sometime in October!

Three days ago, I got a UPS shipping notice, and my order is scheduled for delivery by 7pm today (October 10). Can't wait to see what shows up!

This may be the part you want, but not sure. Manual says JML-56. This site has the part listed, butnhave never bought from them.

Jet Leadscrew 1 JML-56​

$2.49
Thanks for the response! I did buy one supposed replacements with the part number JMl-56, and it ended up being the lead screw for the newer model (JWL-1221), which has a different thread size. so I’m unsure if that one would work. But heck it’s only $2.49 so I will try it and see :)

I’m not sure either. Although it seems the same lead screw is used in the Jet 1014 and 1220. Did you mean JM”L” instead of JMI? I hope this one will work for you. The part number for the 1221 lead screw is listed as JWL1221VS-230.

Just ordered one - visually that looks correct so I hope it’s the right one! Thank you for the help - I had not realized that the 1220 and the 1014 use the same one!

Website
www.timsworkshop.com
If that does not work, looks like ereplacementparts.com has a blown up numbered diagram. The numbers in the diagram reference the parts available on the site. Click the number, be taken to that part. I did not do more than a cursory look. Sometimes, a part might be obsolete but there is a replacement. Other times, it might be simply obsolete with no replacement. This is typically my go-to site when I need a part or at least a parts diagram. Covers a lot more than power tools - appliances, power equipment (mowers, etc.), power tools...

I punched in the full model you provided, found this diagram and parts list.

You could always check Grizzly. The Chinese are known for reverse engineering and they probably have a leadscrew that would fit. They discontinued a 1220 wood lathe and it's leadscrew part number is P0658035

Thank you William Rogers! The lead screw from the 1014 worked! The only difference is that the screw for the 1014 did not come with a flat spot on the upper shaft for the handle set screw. So I just pulled out the hand grinder, gave it a little flat spot, and it’s working great now!

Just to emphasize how things have changed. Way back in the day I had an old milling machine with a badly worn lead screw. The manufacturer had been out of business for 40 years. Jet headquarters were in Tacoma at the time so I decided to see if they had any screws that might be modified to fit.

The guy in the parts department said he thought they had some lead screws way in the back and invited me to go search. I found a likely candidate including a cast iron nut (nuts are usually brass or bronze). The guy had no idea what it was for or how much to charge. We compromised at ten bucks which he stuck in his pocket, no paper work of course.

At that time offshore manufacturers were sending machines to Jet hoping their machines would be accepted as part of Jet's product line. Those machines of unknown brand name were sold at a substantial discount from the usual selling price for a similar machine. Also, Jet branded machinery was not so good quality, dealers would return machines for various warranty issues. Jet would resell those at a discount not disclosing issues with the machines unless it was obvious.

Jet's warehouse was a good place to get parts and machines, but it was buyer beware.

There's currently an outfit in Auburn (south of Seattle) that sells cosmetically damaged Jet, Powermatic, etc equipment at substantial discounts of around maybe 40% off list. I believe they have full factory warranty. No shipping though.

Last edited:
Back