• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

RESIN/WOOD BOWL

Hi quick question about resin/wood bowls. I have had a problem of the resin sinking down just after my pressure pot applies pressure so that the resin is not filling up to the top of my blank when i take it out of pressure pot. I am using a product from Amazon that has worked well for me as far as turning it in other projects (Dr. Crafty Resin). Any way to avoid this problem? Thank you!!

I think this has more to do with the pressure forcing the resin into all the nooks and crannies thus lowering the level. Since you have the experience of how low the resin has "sunk", I would use a container that has that much room for head space plus some extra. Of course, this also depends on the blank, more voids less voids , punky or not etc. The resin isn't compressible, but air is.
Small pieces you can hot melt to the bottom of the container to keep from floating, with larger pieces, because of the heat generated during the curing process, I would use 5 minute epoxy.

The pot at 60 psi will reduce the bubble size by 4 times. A bubble will go from the size of the head of a pin to the size of the tip of the pin. All that adds up and it soaks in to the nooks and crannies. You always have to overfill.

Back