• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sandpaper Sheets

I have been using the 3M 9” X 11” sheets of sandpaper buying from the BORG. I cut them to the size I like. It comes in 4 sheet packs. It was $4.99 for a pack, but yesterday I went to buy some and the price has gone up to $6.19 for a pack. At that price I am looking for a better option buying on line. I use the Klingspor foam for above 400 grit and that is fine. Are there less expensive options for quality sandpaper?

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Hello Bill.....

I've been using the Japanese Finkat paper sheets for all this century, and have been very happy with the quality. I just checked on CSUSA, and see the price hasn't gone up lately, but I suspect it might, as most things are going up.

Even if it does eventually go up proportionally to your preferred paper, I intend to stay with what works for me. Besides, sandpaper is such a small expense in the scheme of things, that it's not that big of a concern for me.

Later, my friend. :)

-o-

@odie I don’t have a preference. I just ordered some Finkat from Treeline to try. Better price than CS. I ordered 4 packs of their combo containing two sheet each grit 80 through 600. About $40 less than buying from the Borg even with shipping. I am still open to other suggestions.

For many years I've used Klingspor "shop rolls" 3" wide J-weight cloth backed alum. ox. sandpaper. J-weight is more like a pair of blue jeans, unlike the hard X-weight papers. Roll length can be 10 yard or 25 yard. This list is all 10 yard rolls, a mixed up list from about 80 grit to 600. I'll leave the price per sq. in. math to you vs. other product you may be buying. These are not rolls sold for wide drum sanders, those are different products.
https://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/PARSR003X10/

They also have 6" wide rolls, search separately for those, but 3" wide works great for me.

Website
www.blacklabelwoodworks.com
I have been using white aluminum oxide sandpaper from industrial abrasives for years and have been happy with there quality. You can get a 50 pack in grits from 80 to 320 for $26. I usually order 50 packs of each grit that covers me and everyone i share it with for at least a year if not 2. It saves me on shipping that way since the cost of 1 50 pack and 10 50 packs is not that much more. https://www.industrialabrasives.com...1-p-248.html?zenid=eemstvcpal734hn7qcdcmb7r81

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Carborundum red oxide sheets are my favorite. But I don't shop for abrasives by price. I buy for quality. https://www.abrasivesupply.com/9in_x_11in_Aluminum_Oxide_Waterproof_Paper_Sheets_s/578.htm
I've been using that stuff for decades - thanks for the link...going to save that. Several years ago I found it difficult to find a source of Premier Red for my turning club. Didn't Carborundum get bought out by Norton? Price is about double what I paid for it a long time ago ... luckily (?) I don't use much anymore. :(

The 3M I have been using I consider quality sandpaper. I do like the backing. However at $1.50+ per sheet it may not be the best value. I do consider price, but higher price doesn’t always me higher quality. I do hope the Finkat sandpaper works as well or better than the 3M as the price its much better at $1.03 a sheet including shipping. I will try the Norton paper as it is the least expensive. Likely the biggest factor is the paper and the binding, but I suppose there is some difference in the aluminum oxide quality. Price and quality are both important to me.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
@Richard Coers Do you then cut them square or round to fit 2 and 3 inch discs or just use them for hand sanding?

And 100 sheets per box!? Needing 8 grits, that’s about $800.
Yup! ... you've gotta be in it for the long haul! :D Box of 100 will last you a long time. I think you can find a few sources that it in smaller quantities but it can be around 50% higher per sheet.
I only use it for hand sanding ... cut sheets into 3rds ... then fold those into 3rds.

I'll chime in here, as I have been using Rhynowet Red Line abrasive sheets made by Indasa (Portugal) for many years. A product made specifically for the automotive finishing industry, but superb for sanding wood as well. Supergrit.com has all the grits in 10-sheet packs for about $0.75 to $1.00 per sheet, in addition to the standard 50-sheet packages.

I have been using white aluminum oxide sandpaper from industrial abrasives for years and have been happy with there quality. You can get a 50 pack in grits from 80 to 320 for $26. I usually order 50 packs of each grit that covers me and everyone i share it with for at least a year if not 2. It saves me on shipping that way since the cost of 1 50 pack and 10 50 packs is not that much more. https://www.industrialabrasives.com...1-p-248.html?zenid=eemstvcpal734hn7qcdcmb7r81
That's really interesting to hear. I've been searching for a better paper and decided to give the Rhino line a try, but I hate it. It's very stiff, doesn't fold well, tears with a very ragged edge which risks making random deep scratches, and the white color makes it hard to visually tell when it's wearing. Funny how people's experiences can be so different.

I have been using the Norton 3x / ProSand paper for years. I usually buy the 100 sheet pack from Amazon. Yes, that is a lot of money but I was taught to use sandpaper as though someone else paid for it and once I am over the initial investment pain that is easy. I avoid the 3M sandpaper as I also use the paper on my palm sander and the adhesive on the back sticks to the foam pad and destroys it. Having to replace that pad makes the 3M paper VERY expensive.

Hello Dean, I'd suggest trying one roll of one grit of the J-weight cloth-back abrasives from Klingspor, see message #8 above, and see how that serves you.

Hello Dean, I'd suggest trying one roll of one grit of the J-weight cloth-back abrasives from Klingspor, see message #8 above, and see how that serves you.
Have some and it's OK. Not as long lasting as I expected, and heavywight enough that it doesn't fold as easily as I'm used to.

Do others do this- I keep a block of rubber sanding belt cleaner at the lathe, a few swips on the piece of sandpaper in my hand freshens it right up. I'll also often give the piece of paper a couple good whacks against the edge of the lathe bed ways to knock out lots of the embedded dust. Anyone else do things to maintain the service life of the piece in your hand, or are you simply trashing it when it's clogged?

I will use air to clean hand held paper sandpaper a bit, but also use fresh paper a lot. I have use the eraser to clean power sanding disks on occasion, but not often.

Been using 3M 216U Freecut Gold 9x11 50 sheet sleeves for many years. I use a paper cutter to cut up the sheets to the size I want, and use a plastic box with index cards between grits to store them.

The Norton ProSand is every bit as good as the 3M paper. You didn't say where your are, so I don't know what is near you, but Lowe's and Rockler both have the 20 packs of Norton for $19.99. Used to be a lot cheaper when they were on sale. I think I got my last 4 boxes, of different grits, for about $10 each. JimQ

Nope, I wasn't comparing it to 3M 216U paper, I was comparing it to the 3M Pro Grade paper. The 216U comes in European grit grades, and is primarily aimed at Body shops. JimQ

Back