• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sharpening older Avisera tools

I recently bought a couple of older Avisera combination tools (3/8 and 5/8 inch, Hamlet tools). These are formed from round bars, with the top half of the front end ground off and a rounded/fingernail nose. I guess another term would be fluteless gouge, because of the round bar stock, but a flat top surface. The other tool I would compare it to is the Crown Skewchigouge, but these have a larger flattened area than the Crowns. Anyone have any experience or suggestions for how best to sharpen these? Freehand/platform vs. jig? How to sharpen the sides vs the nose? Etc. Thanks, gang!

Well, if you have platforms that can be reset to specific angles, it is simple, though grinding off some of the top side would be fairly simple. With the Thompson fluteless gouges, I keep mine at a 70 degree nose angle. They are a very versatile tool, but not made for heavy stock removal. Great for fine detail work.

robo hippy

Back