• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Shoes, not flip flops

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Leather tennis shoes works for me......comfort is imperative.

I will admit to wearing sandals and crocs during the hottest part of the summer, and I may again this year.

(I reserve the right to take my chances!) :)

-----odie-----

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
If I wore flip flops or crocs for more than a few minutes at the lathe my back would be hurting for days.

While turning I mostly wear closed toe sports sandals by Teva. These are a safety compromise in favor of coolness and foot support. There is some protection on the top of the foot and my toes are fine after kicking a log lightly.
Another benefit is no socks to catch shavings.
FBA20AC8-2028-448A-9FA5-4A5DC19DB5DF.jpeg

Jan -Feb I usually wear low cut hiking shoes.

Last edited:
Website
www.timsworkshop.com
If I wore flip flops or crocs for more than a few minutes at the lathe my back would be hurting for days.

While turning I mostly wear closed toe sports sandals by Teva. These are a safety compromise in favor of coolness and foot support. There is some protection on the top of the foot and my toes are fine after kicking a log lightly.
Another benefit is no socks to catch shavings.
View attachment 45238

Jan -Feb I usually wear low cut hiking shoes.
That's an interesting idea. I might look into those - especially since my shop AC is only sort-of working (moving up my plans to install a mini-split system - working on funding at the moment).
Just the shavings grinding into your skin under the straps.
This is the biggest drawback I see. Not having shavings, which turn into splinters, in your socks is a bonus to the sport sandals hockenbery posted. I am not sure which I would think worse - shavings under the straps (or under the sole of your foot) or shavings stuck in the socks.....

I would like to offer a different perspective-

We have had cotton marketed to us as the "natural" choice for 100 odd years. And while it is natural - you should NOT wear next to your skin in hot weather. Why??? For the same reason cotton makes the best thick bath towels....it HOLDS MOISTURE !!! Holding moisture, along with he bacteria that is part of us and the perspiration we excrete can create skin issues - and even if it does not...IT KEEPS YOU HOT!

So - for comfort and safety, try to consider proper orthotics ( Urthotics.com ) with high smartwool content socks ( AND...compression socks that are knee highs are best!) in good quality hiking boots. Yes I said boots. You will benefit from being able to lace them to fit YOUR foot. Here is a link that gives you 6 options for lacing to accommodate your feet and gain support that benefits your feet, knees, hips, and back.
View: https://youtu.be/fZzNuBl_wQk
AND - https://fitmyfoot.com/blogs/footprints/lacing-techniques-tailored-for-comfort-fit

Our feet are our foundation. And that foundation affects and supports all the structure above it. Yet, good and proper footcare is one of those things many of us take for granted.

I agree that you should be comfortable. And I also understand that some of what I am posting herein seems counterintuitive if not downright controversial. So let me qualify WHY I am an avid ( READ: RIBID:D) proselytizer about this subject:
Left heel was taken off by shrapnel and surgically put back together as best as possible. All tendons to the toes on my left foot were severed and fixed as best as possible. Still have shrapnel above the inside of my left ankle. I have had more than 1/2 of the major bones in my body broken at least once. I have had 5 major knee rehabilitation surgeries including bone an tendon grafts. A twice broken back. destroyed and rebuilt shoulder. Herniated disks in back and neck. And a permanent crease in my skull and 40 plus stitches to accompany it. Want to test a shoe for support and comfort? Or a sock? I am your guinea pig.

What I am saying is - I have spent a tremendous amount of money to find ways to be able to stand long term and not be in agony. And surprisingly......the kinds of shoes that we usually think are comfortable to our feet.....are usually not comfortable to the rest of the body for standing extended periods of time.

Find an Orthotist to measure your feet and loot at their condition. Consider your other health issues including weight. Shoes - AND socks......are a LOT more important now, in our older years. Sure, we could get away with a lot when young and bulletproof . But those #$%^& bullets - or just time change your foot needs -and THAT affects your back, knee, and hips needs..

I hope everyone takes a pause to consider this - and I wish you to be pain free.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Im kinda like Tim - 'cept I found what works for me long ago - Steel toed boots with 2 inch heel and high arch supports, which I then lace sorta modified Army Lacing and the long (I use 72" laces) free ends wrapped around the top of the boot to add stability to ankle. (I'm prone to sprains, actually at one time walked around working 10 hours a day with both ankles being sprained)

I have trouble wearing anything that does not breathe on my feet. That rules out leather boots, which makes my feet sweat just thinking about it. I have been using Merril slip ons for a number of years. Good support for my flat feet, comfortable, and they breathe. Yes, I do get some shavings in them, but slip them off, knock the shavings off, and use a broom to remove the rest before I go into the house. I have a couple of pairs for the shop....

robo hippy

I have trouble wearing anything that does not breathe on my feet. That rules out leather boots, which makes my feet sweat just thinking about it. I have been using Merril slip ons for a number of years. Good support for my flat feet, comfortable, and they breathe. Yes, I do get some shavings in them, but slip them off, knock the shavings off, and use a broom to remove the rest before I go into the house. I have a couple of pairs for the shop....

robo hippy
Reed...it is the socks that make the biggest difference in temperature of your feet. No cotton. High percentage merino wool will keep you drier and cooler than you would imagine possible. THye adsorb and draw perspiration away from your skin. The boots...I like breathable fabric/leather in the right places higher or work boots WITH an aftermarket insole. At least something like a Cadence orange insole. As we age - we lose the fatty cushy tissues in our hands and feet. mMake the floor seem harder than it used to be. A great insole can combine quality support with adding back some cushion to your step.

Not disagreeing with OP about the safety issue, but I often wear my Obeo sandles when turning because of the comfortable support. I’ve gotten used to the shavings on/under my feet and make sure to brush them off before going from shop to house (for some reason my wife is opposed to wood chips on our floors ). Not recommending my practice, but sharing a real world perspective.

Related, has anyone else noticed how the time continuum changes when you drop something? I can’t tell you how many times I’ve dropped something, and recall afterwards how in that split second I’ve consciously thought about what I dropped and made the decision to stop it’s fall with my foot (including thinking about what shoes I have on) to prevent harm to a fragile item, or to move away if it’s something sharp. NOT implying this ability is something to be relied on, but just something I’ve often thought about - I must drop a lot of things

I'm not sure how anyone drops a sharpened tool on their toes. The few times I've had one hit the floor, it's always landed on the backside of the lathe.

I wouldn't like turning in sandals or crocs just because of the shavings and crap that would get in them.

I'm not sure how anyone drops a sharpened tool on their toes. The few times I've had one hit the floor, it's always landed on the backside of the lathe.

I wouldn't like turning in sandals or crocs just because of the shavings and crap that would get in them.
yes, Murphy's Law states if you have a concrete floor [ as I do ] all sharp tools must go point first to the floor before moving onto secondary targets

I cringe when I see a turner with flip flops or crocs on while turning. I have dropped a skew straight onto my foot while wearing sandles. It did not turn out well! Please wear something that will protect your feet! You WILL drop something on them eventually.
John I totally agree. I teach beginner turners three months out of the year and approved footwear is a must to take the class. I too have seen serious foot injuries from gouges dropped on an unprotected foot in the shop.

Back