• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

skew sharpening jig

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I was asked to post a photo of my skew sharpening jig. I've sharpened the skew many different ways but settled on this. This particular jig is for the Oval skew. I have another one for my flat skews. The only difference is that I file out an oval notch in the jig to help the oval skew sit flat.
With the Oneway skew jig it is too easy to rock the skew so after a bunch of sharpenings the edge is kind of skewed. It's not a big problem I used it for years.
I prefer a straight edge on my skew so I designed this jig. My first one was simply an L shaped piece of wood that rode on the Oneway tool rest. The L overhang kept it from sliding down the tool rest. Later I milled a slot in the tool rest so that the sliding platform would only move in one plane.
I glued a V block to the top so that I could grind a 60 degree angle on the skew. For the Oval skew jig I filed oval slots in both sides of the V to make it easy to keep the skew flat.

Attachments

• oval-skew-jig-side-view.jpg
    oval-skew-jig-side-view.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 218
  • oval-skew-jig-top.jpg
    oval-skew-jig-top.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 190
  • oval-skew-jig-in-use.jpg
    oval-skew-jig-in-use.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 208

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I was asked to post a photo of my skew sharpening jig. I've sharpened the skew many different ways but settled on this. This particular jig is for the Oval skew. I have another one for my flat skews. The only difference is that I file out an oval notch in the jig to help the oval skew sit flat.
With the Oneway skew jig it is too easy to rock the skew so after a bunch of sharpenings the edge is kind of skewed. It's not a big problem I used it for years.
I prefer a straight edge on my skew so I designed this jig. My first one was simply an L shaped piece of wood that rode on the Oneway tool rest. The L overhang kept it from sliding down the tool rest. Later I milled a slot in the tool rest so that the sliding platform would only move in one plane.
I glued a V block to the top so that I could grind a 60 degree angle on the skew. For the Oval skew jig I filed oval slots in both sides of the V to make it easy to keep the skew flat.

This would be a good entry on "tips and tricks" forum.......

Good idea, John....

ooc

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Don't know why I didn't think of that Odie. Must have been the long day at work that made my brain numb.

Thank you

John- Thank you for posting the pictures and the how-to info. It looks like a doable project for the immediate future.

The best I could think of was a mold out of Sculpey (or bondo) with magnets in the botton to attach to the Oneway platform. I hadn't given the angles a thought.

Thanks again and have a good day.

Glenn

Excellent idea !

John,

That is a very clever execution and soooo straight forward. I use a Oneway on my flat surfaced skews, but as you pointed out, doesn't work as well for curved skews. Your jig is next on my must-build list.

Thanks for sharing.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Dick My jig only works for skews with a straight edge which is what I prefer. The oneway or some other jig similar will work better for curved edge skews. I didn't put photo in but I have a jig that sets the tool rest to the right angle. It sits on the tool rest and touches the wheel at 2 points so it compensates for wheel wear. It is similar to this jig but has a flat surface that rides on the flat tool rest instead of pointed end that goes in the V jig.

Attachments

• Grinder-bowl-gouge-jig.jpg
    Grinder-bowl-gouge-jig.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 81
Back