• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Soap dish

I’ve had a request for small soap dish’s. I’m going to use Buttonwood with a live edge. Any suggestions for finish (wet environment) ?
Or not a good idea?

Cocobolo (if available, hah!) was commonly used for ship's wheels due to its ability to stand up to weather. I have a cocobolo kitchen knife handle that I made about 40 years ago, and all it's done is turn black. Ipe, unfinished, is reputed to have a 50-year lifespan in the PNW.

I have some scrap ironbark from an old tugboat. It didn't rot outside in the PNW for its 70-year stint on board, but the surface has checked rather badly, so it might not stay nice next to the sink. But it won't rot!

Wood works for a lot of things, but having a wet bar of soap in it many times a day is really stretching the application. It's even going to get wet and scrubbed out to remove the dried on soap. I suggest you guy a piece of soap stone. It turns just as well on a wood lathe. You can even cut out the blank on your bandsaw. If you get a split piece, or chip the top edge, you'll even get a natural edge.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
I'd do a drained dish similar to a coaster - It'd require off-center turning jig, but easy enough to do. As far as finish - the ones I made and they have held up very well are made from plain maple, white oak, and cherry , only finish is linseed oil & beeswax (Soap is a valid finish for wood, too, BTW...) and then park it in a small platter (also finished with oil & beeswax) of maple or other close-grained wood - easy to wipe out the platter. the dish/coaster allows soap to drain dry. Basically you start your soap holder like a coaster, cut just about exactly 1/2 way through using a parting tool or make v-grooves with a skew , then flip it over to the other side and off-center it maybe a quarter inch or so (experiment with it) and cut more v-grooves or square grooves on the other side again halfway through - the off-center turning lets the grooves intersect to make a sort of cross hatch and lets soap drain without collecting a lot of water/soap on the wood. I don't have pictures (didn't bother at the time) or I'd post them here. I started with just cutting square soap dishes similar to how you'd make a trivet, cut on table saw, then started making them on the lathe, to have some "round" options different from the square ones cut on the saw. I believe there's an article or two in American Woodturner regarding doing off-center trivets and coasters, (or maybe FUNdamentals?)

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
I suggest you guy a piece of soap stone. It turns just as well on a wood lathe.
Interesting! Does it turn well with HSS (and related) or do you need carbide?

Dan, I agree with everyone’s advice. If using wood, total epoxy coverage will be best. Soap is amphipathic (attracts oil and water) so even a very oily wood would still end up looking crummy after a while (unless the dishes are treated on a regular basis).

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Interesting! Does it turn well with HSS (and related) or do you need carbide?
Sure, if you aren't familiar with Soapstone, stop by a welding supply place and ask for some - commonly it'll be used (and shaped) like a carpenter's pencil for marking out lines on your steel (pipe, sheet, angle iron, etc) or writing dimensions, what have you... It's sorta like a chalk combined with a crayon , but much harder (Perhaps think of a piece of gypsum or talc which has been saturated with liquid wax... something akin to that - It'd be very fine grained, finer than sandstone, not quite abrasive, but still hard enough to almost feel like a rock.) It'd turn just fine with HSS or even carbon steel tooling (sharpen the soapstone stick with pocket knife when in want of a finer line on your pipe or angle iron.)

Back