• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sorby Turnmaster Carbide Tools/Hunter Carbide Tools

Fellow Turning Geniuses,
Sevreal weeks back we hand discussions in regards to the Robert Sorby Turnmaster lathe tool. Several expressed the disappointment of the poor performance of this tool. The way it had a tendency to “snatch” or do all kinds of bad things. This is when I was schooled in Hunter Carbide tools.
I turn sitting in a wheelchair so getting angles on things is hard on a good day. I own the Sorby Turnmaster tool and it scared me to death almost everytime I used it. I talked with Sorby about this ongoing issue. I was given a solution and it has worked out well for me. I bought the SteadyPro tool rest mounting system. When used along with the Turnmaster the results were excellent. What I did was this. I commented to turning bowls exclusively when using the outboard turning feature on my Laguna 1216 lathe. I added the 20” bed extension to give me added space. Then I could fit my chair under the extension and swing my tool much more easily. I use the Turnmaster on the inside of bowls only. That large removable head is the issue. I could not get that tool to sit on my tool rest properly. I am not that strong and have a pretty fair shake in my hands. It was almost like Sorby was telling me that this tool and the SteadyPro tool rest were developed as a matched pair. For me that SteadyPro along with the Turnmaster is most excellent. Thank You!
I still want to buy two or three hunter carbide tools. Can you guys give me a heads up and tell me which three cutters or tools I should buy for all round use? Right now I have been turning between spindles. I now want to start turning bowls. That said… can you give me the top 3 tools where my money would be best spent? I sure would appreciate the guidance.
Thom Schuck
Portland

If I were to get 3 Hunter tools to cover most of what I do it would be 1) Hunter Hercules, 2) Hunter Full Swan Neck and 3) Hunter Wide Reach Baron. If you were not to make deep side hollowing pieces the Hunter Osprey could be substituted for the Baron. Two of these tools can be used inside and outside of pieces easily (Hercules and Osprey). Now this is me and I own quite a few Hunter tools and Mike Hunter has always been there for questions and answers.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I turn sitting in a wheelchair so getting angles on things is hard on a good day
Using the SteadyPro seems to be working for you.
You will elolve a style that works for you.

Lathe height, tool rest height, chair height, chair position, tool angle are all variables to consider.
3 local turners in chairs have very different styles. All three do great work and demo clubs in the area.

One used all carbides passed away. Won a best in show at the Florida state fair. He turned from a scooter.
Liked the lathe a little about shoulder level. He made a lot of detail cuts holding the tool handle in a way the reminded me of someone throwing darts. Elbo at his side hand up. He just sort of pecked at the wood lightly refining the shapes he wanted.
He rotated his body on the seat. Moved the scooter occasionally.

Two guys who turn from wheel chairs have quite different styles.
One frequently repositions the chair locks the wheels and braces against the chair and turns his upper body a bit as he makes the cuts, He started out with a 12” jet bolted to frame so it was tilted at 45 degrees - that put the tool rest at an angle creating other challenges.

The other guy has some use of his legs. He puts his feet on the floor and rotates the chair slightly as he turns.
He also hollows bowls by starting with the flute at 3 o clock then cuts to the bottom center in an arc. The flute goes up to 2 o clock on the way up then rotates on the downward arc until the gouge is at 4 or 5 o’clock when he is at center.

Back