• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Stronghold Profile versus Dovetail Jaws

I have both styles, but prefer the dovetail jaws. It is my understanding that the Oneway profile jaws require a straight tenon for best hold, but then I seldom use them (Only have one set of #3 profile jaws for the stronghold and one set for the Talon chucks). I feel the hold of the dovetail jaws - sized near the perfect circle of the jaws with a shoulder that butts securely to the top faces of the jaws is a vastly superior hold. I can’t site empirical evidence, just 20 years of experience with Stronghold and Talon chucks. It’s a little odd that this thread shows up one day after I hauled out a set of #3 profiled jaws and mounted them up for the first time in several years…but they do a good job of holding square stock.

Last edited:
I believe they are intended for square/straight tenons, but they are pretty forgiving. Usually I do a slight dovetail, sometimes straight, just not a reversed dovetail

The tenons should be straight. I think the main advantage is that they hold about equally well throughout their adjustment range whereas dovetails are optimal when the jaws are almost closed. Dovetails do tend pull the shoulder and jaws into contact, while the profile jaws can actually push them away if the tenon end intersects the serrations at the wrong point.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
What is the required tenon and mortise shape for the Oneway Stronghold Profile jaws. My understanding is you only use the dovetail shape for the dovetail jaws.

The tenon is 90 degrees. A slight dovetail works fine and is better that a slight cone shape so erring on the dovetail side of square is best
The mortise i use a slight dovetail. A square mortise from a Forstner works well.

I prefer the profiled jaws for spindles and square stock. They work great on bowls and platters too however I prefer dovetail jaws for bowls and platters.

IMG_0381.jpeg. IMG_0379.jpeg

Last edited:
Back