• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Will Armstrong for "Gold Carved Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 20th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Stuart Batty Tools Problem-Unresponsive

I am hesitant to post this thread, but I now feel it is the responsible thing to do.
I have long been a fan of Stuart, and have learned an enormous amount from his videos. I am also a fan of his handle system and have used it for three years. In November, I purchased his sharpening platform. It arrived 2 weeks ago. It is beautifully made and I will be happy to have it when this problem is resolved, even at the admittedly steep cost.

The problem is that the screws holding the platform down are slightly proud of the platform. The countersink would need to be a bit deeper. Of course, I could fix this, but at that price I should not have to do so. I immediately posted the question to him on the website, and 2 weeks later have still gotten no response. I understand that it is a small operation, but this is really unacceptable.

Just to update, I did get a response from Stuart on his direct email, and he was very responsive. So I am guessing it is just a problem of teething pain on a newish website. The platform is quite wonderful otherwise. I would recommend it.

From unresponsive to recommendation. Must have been quite an email exchange. I have a problem with repairing brand new items, the reason I won't buy Grizzly or Harbor freight machinery.

Last edited:
Just to update, I did get a response from Stuart on his direct email, and he was very responsive. So I am guessing it is just a problem of teething pain on a newish website. The platform is quite wonderful otherwise. I would recommend it.
A good result to an awkward situation. What little I know of the man personally, I would give him the benefit of the doubt of this oversight.

I don't know the case here, but many small turning shops have delayed getting back to you when they got to woodturning events. That often pulls them away for a week.

They are often one-man/women's shops.

Back