• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Stubby S750 for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am selling my Stubby S750. I am the second owner, and it has been a great lathe for me. The only reason I am letting it go is because I want a sliding bed lathe. Basic specs: built 1998-1999, 16/30 inch swing (depending on bed position), 2 hp, 220 v, Nema 6-15 plug, 1/28 x 8tpi spindle, #2 MT head and tail with through bores, 1 inch tool post size, sliding bed, two banjos, two accessory beds with multiple connection points, spindle indexing, 2 speed ranges, Eaton VFD - goes down to zero RPM, magnetic supplemental control box with start/stop. The tailstock, while substantial, can readily be moved on and off without breaking your back. Square dealing caveats: no LED readout; switches tend to work themselves loose over time (as in, two or three times over 7 years); custom made stand makes it a PITA to access the vfd and switches from underneath (this could be modified with some careful grinding on the stand); built in vacuum port doesn't work (I have a frugal chuck, so never bothered to address it), spindle lock is at the back of the headstock and not especially convenient; tailstock handwheel screw isn't perfectly straight, but it doesn't affect the quill, and I have an new one available to trade it out. I also have a bearing set that is unused - never had a problem with the bearings. The stand has been modified with "outriggers" to enhance stability, and these have large bolts for leveling/modifying the height. Overall - this is a strong, premium lathe, runs quiet and smooth, and you can turn just about anything on it except long spindles. No rust, just cosmetic stuff from finish drips and the like. The big, new Rikon is just a motorized version of the Stubby sliding bed, but the Stubby bed also pivots, making it remarkably versatile with the supplemental banjo and beds. Asking $2300, you pick it up here. I can help you load it on this end. It does disassemble relatively easily - headstock/motor and bed, like all lathes, are best handled with two people. The Stubby website is virtually useless, but the owner is a great guy and very helpful. The Stubby owners group on facebook is very helpful, too.
I am in Sebastopol, an hour north of San Francisco and a half hour west of Santa Rosa.

Attachments

• image0 (2).jpeg
    image0 (2).jpeg
    184.1 KB · Views: 140
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 136
  • image1 (2).jpeg
    image1 (2).jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 125
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg