• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

The writing on the wall...

Website
www.stevebonny.com
Not inspirational but useful......
This is pinned to the inside of my shop door.....

I've destroyed several hot glue guns by forgetting to turn them off and have come into my shop to find the dust collector already running and once even the drum sander was left running overnight.
This is a gentle reminder to turn stuff off!

20230626_080516.jpg

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
As one of eight siblings there was always a lot to be done to keep our busy home clean and running smoothly.
Even when we were quite young my Mother would expect us to participate in fairly complex 'chores' for our age.
If one of us complained "I can't do that" her typical response was:

"Saying you can't is just saying you won't"

When our five were young and still home and said, "I can't do that" I would quote Richard Bach from his book "Illusions":

"Argue for your limitations, and surely they are yours".

A friend who was a crane operator and welder liked to quote Navjot Singh Sidhu:

"Experience is like a comb that life gives you when you are bald."
(yes, he was almost entirely bald).

When I started working as a hospice nurse the cubicle I moved into at the office had a strip of paper taped to the edge of the bookshelf wth this on it:

"The More You Live, The Less You Die"

And my personal favorite:

"90% of being able to accomplish doing something is not being afraid to try"

Those are all great quotes, Pat......

Matter of fact, I might adopt one or two of those for my own inspiration! :)

-o-

odie

TOTW Team
Not inspirational but useful......
This is pinned to the inside of my shop door.....

I've destroyed several hot glue guns by forgetting to turn them off and have come into my shop to find the dust collector already running and once even the drum sander was left running overnight.
This is a gentle reminder to turn stuff off!

View attachment 53579

Turning things off has been an especially perplexing mistake for me, too.

There was a moment of inspiration when the mental light turned on for me......and, that was when I closed up shop and left a mosquito candle burning till the next day. This is fire, and I'm extremely lucky I didn't burn down my shop because of this potentially disastrous mistake. What I did was make tags that I place near the exit door that I can't ignore when leaving my shop. I have them for many things.....compressor, speakers, electric and propane heaters, fans, etc..... using these tags has been almost infallible in making me do these things.

Thanks for your input, Steve! :)

-o-

Note: I have installed "paired" smoke detectors.....one in the shop, and one in the house. This is a great safety precaution.....but, fire when you're not there might keep you from totally burning down your shop. I suppose that's some consolation! :(

Website
www.stevebonny.com

There was a moment of inspiration when the mental light turned on for me......and, that was when I closed up shop and left a mosquito candle burning till the next day. This is fire, and I'm extremely lucky I didn't burn down my shop because of this potentially disastrous mistake. What I did was make tags that I place near the exit door that I can't ignore when leaving my shop. I have them for many things.....compressor, speakers, electric and propane heaters, fans, etc..... using these tags has been almost infallible in making me do these things.

-o-

Note: I have installed "paired" smoke detectors.....one in the shop, and one in the house. This is a great safety precaution.....but, fire when you're not there might keep you from totally burning down your shop. I suppose that's some consolation! :(
I have another odd ball one I'll throw out there....
I went into my shop this last winter and found the garage door was open all night. I'm not sure how it was opened, likely I bumped the remote accidentally. It was -20 outside (and inside my shop). Luckily it only killed a few house plants and broke a plastic flow detector on the water cooling system on my CNC spindle. I lost a day of turning while it warmed up again too!
I now have a door opener controller on the wall which automatically shuts the door at 10pm every night and also sends me notifications to my cellphone whenever the door opens or closes!

Those reminders are good, however as I did yesterday, going into the house and planning to go back (which I never did) I found all the lights still on this morning, not a ramp, but it is easy to forget things, especially when we are getting a little older (81 years young).

-o-

Looking for smoke detectors that are not triggered by dust or inhibited by dust. Any recommendations from experience

Good success with using the remote switches and their apps that show on/off, just check amp capacity of the switch. Can then check with my cell phone. Won’t take care of big motors but economical for small such as grinders, shop vacs etc

On my shop walls, I occasionally write things that help to keep me inspired and focused.
Odie, I'd like to share an inspirational (IMHO) quote from Robert Frost who was thd Poet Laureate in JFK's term.

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep. . ."

odie

TOTW Team
Looking for smoke detectors that are not triggered by dust or inhibited by dust. Any recommendations from experience

You just reminded me of that. My smoke detector does get triggered by sanding dust, and my solution was to cover it while I'm working in the shop. For the smoke detector I have, I've found a plastic Folgers coffee container is the perfect size to slip over the smoke detector. When I leave the shop, I remove the Folger's container.

.....and, I have a special reminder tag for that, too! Like everything else that has reminder tags, I need something to bring my attention to it, when I close up the shop for the night. As @Leo Van Der Loo mentioned, this has something to do with getting older....this forgetfulness plague thing! ......even though I'm just a "young-un" from his POV, at a mere 74 years old! :)

-o-

While watching some YouTube videos and reading about a rather interesting person, I came across some quotes that may be applied in many circumstances:

Another quote of hers was "I seem to do an awful lot of retiring." She was a professor before she joined the Navy. In her 30s. She retired from the Navy 3 times, if I recall correctly - the last with a rank of Rear Admiral. If you have the time, search for videos of her on YouTube. I loved her 1983 lecture at MIT (the almost hour and a half runtime of that one seemed to fly by). She was also a guest on Letterman, and there are a number of other clips of her. She was someone who I think I would have gotten along with. At one point (in the Navy) she was given and office and a couple of assistants. No budget. No furnishings. Nothing but a couple of desks and the space. She provided direction to those under her, and soon after she had a nicely furnished office. Apparently, while a table was being carried to her office, she was asked about it and responded something to the effect of 'it wasn't bolted down'.

Admiral Grace Hopper is credited with a lot of firsts in the computer world. She wrote the book on the first computer (literally) in the Navy - the Mark 1 - that was used for calculating trajectories. As she tells it, she was told to write the manual for the computer. She responded that she had never written a manual before and did not know much about the computer yet. The response was 'You are in the Navy now.' In the interview or lecture (forget which) she said after that 'So, I wrote a manual'. While there is a misattribution of her finding the first real computer bug (a moth that had been beaten to death by relay contacts in the Mark 1), she is responsible for calling computer problems bugs from that point on. The moth, taped into the record book for the system, is still there. I know at one point it was on display at a Boston Museum, but I have not dug to see if it still is.

Edited to add: As far as we know, she is the only Naval officer to ever fly the Jolly Roger. She had been given the flag at one point, and hung it in her office.
"The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's simply larger than it needs to be".

To a real engineer, the glass is always full....half water and half air

Those reminders are good, however as I did yesterday, going into the house and planning to go back (which I never did) I found all the lights still on this morning, not a ramp, but it is easy to forget things, especially when we are getting a little older (81 years young).
I fought too many hippies without my helmet back in the 60's and as a result, forget a lot of things. My shop and barn are still there.

Here are two that are written in my brain:

Machines don't care

Nature always sides with the hidden flaw

Last edited:
A lot of my shop walls are windows, but a neighbor who rebuilds highways and roads has given me a few signs. I also have a big Triumph banner on the wall and sketches of previous projects. I also saved the cover of an old calendar; me riding the Tail of the Dragon. :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_20220918_165357042.jpg
    IMG_20220918_165357042.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 12
Back