• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Tompkins Gage'T Thickness Gauge?

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I had one of the early gauges with all black lines. Worked well but was a little confusing. Keith sent me the new painted sleeves that have different colors and it is absolutely a dream to use now. I can't recommend a better bowl measuring device.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I wouldn't want to be without the Tompkins Gage't. It is the most versatile bowl thickness gauge I have used. I use it on every bowl I make. The first model, a ivory one, did have a little flex, but it was still better than anything else I could use that would measure all around the bowl. The "New" Tompkins Gage't is black, and is even more rigid.

I'm in agreement, George.....I've now had the Tompkins T Gage for five years, and use it regularly. I've gotten used to the way the markings are laid out, and have no problem getting accurate measurements. It doesn't replace calipers, but is most definitely a very useful tool to have.

-----odie-----

Thanks. i was referring to calipers like these. I don't see how the Thompkins can be more precise. I use these, and they measure to 64th's of an inch in fraction mode, and .01 in decimal. Also do mm. But, I understand the other points you made.
I agree they work great even though I wore out one and had to replace it.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I've seen some comments online about the flexibility of the material used in the construction of this gage. Has anyone had any issues with this? I've worked in injection molded medical device design for many years and am intimately familiar with material-of-construction and "creep" issues, especially with large lever arms under a constant force from a spring over long periods of time. I assume the spring used for the measurement pin is very low force for this application.

It's been on my list for a while, but I will definitely be getting one this month. The GageT is very rigid from what I've heard and read. It's not meant for absolute measurements that require repeatability ... just relative comparisons on a single piece in order to achieve a uniform wall thickness. The spring force is enough to keep the brass plunger against the wood, but not enough to interfere with gliding the gauge smoothly across the wood.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I have a Tomkins gage, I use it often. My only complaint is that now I have a bunch of other calipers collecting dust on the wall. I like it even better now knowing it's made in the USA product. I can't see how some turners have a problem seeing the pin, or colors or whatever the complaint is. Never had that problem, it's a simple straight forward tool.

Website
www.steercreekwood.com
I must be in the minority as I had one and gave it away because I didn't like it and never used it. I had it for a few years and finally gave it to our woodturning club. It was confusing to use as the red black lines didn't tell me what I wanted to know. I have a D shaped caliper with the brass knob that can be adjusted to whatever thickness I am shooting for. It is easier to use and less confusing. I have cataracts which probably contribute to my confusion. I had my left eye worked on in Sept. and I now see a lot better still got one to go. It sold at the club auction for less than half what I gave for it. I don't miss it at all.

Back