• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Tools

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
When making finials, I do just about everything with a 3/8" spindle gouge. And a narrow parting tool.
I might use my 3/4" or 1" spindle roughing gouge or my 1/2" bowl gouge (bar size) to initially round square stock, but I can do that with the spindle gouge too.

Edit - oops, didn't notice this was in the ornamental group - we might be talking about different things. Sorry.

When making finials, I do just about everything with a 3/8" spindle gouge. And a narrow parting tool.
I might use my 3/4" or 1" spindle roughing gouge or my 1/2" bowl gouge (bar size) to initially round square stock, but I can do that with the spindle gouge too.

Edit - oops, didn't notice this was in the ornamental group - we might be talking about different things. Sorry.
Is it a regular 3/8 bowl gouge or one without a flute

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
As noted, this is not about Ornamental Turning, so I’ve moved it to the Woodturning Discussion Forum. The discussion is good, but not in the right area..

For finials, I typical use a skew, detail gouge, and 3/8" spindle gouge. It varies depending on the finial. At my club, one member demonstrated wonderful finials using a 5/8 bowl gouge and detail gouge.

Not sure there is a set out there, nor is this a one size fits all.

I have done a few finials. My go to tools are a smaller detail spindle gouge, and a convex grind skew, 3/4 inch wide or so. The convex grind is great for long shallow lines. The detail gouges are better for me on the beads and coves. You need a very light touch. "The bevel should rub the wood, but the wood shouldn't know it!"

robo hippy

Tom, you may be thinking of a 'vortex' tool, which Cindy Drozda uses for fine detail work. It's basically a bar of tool steel with a flat on the nose and the other side ground to 20 or 25 degrees, if I recall correctly. The vortex is nice for specific functions, but you can do a great deal with a 3/8" spindle gouge, as Dave suggests. A 3/8" detail spindle gouge has a shallower flute than a standard spindle gouge and is just a wee bit better for really acute grinds, of 30 degrees or less, and getting into skinny places or making very fine detail. The vortex tool would be the ultimate step in that progression to strong and pointy.

I use a 3/8 spindle gouge and a diy version of the vortex tool to clean up the fuzzies in the bottom of a tight cut, if needed. Roughing of the square blank can be done with the 3/8 sg, but a heavier tool works better, a srg or bigger long wing bg works well

Pay attention when buying a detail sg. Many sellers call a std 3/8 sg a detail sg..

FYI I havent found the need for a detail sg for small work. The tool rest can get close enough that vibration is not an issue. The reason for a detail sg is to cut with more rest overhang.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
What is a good set of traditional tools for finial work
Or it I buy separately what are some need tools for finial work
Thanks

What I use for finials are: 3/8 spindle gouge - coves
1/2” skew
1/4 skew (round bar)

Thanks everyone
Sounds like the vote is 3/8 detail spindle gouge
Not my choice for finials - the extra metal on the detail gouge makes the bevel too long.

Demo ornament all turning with a 3/8 spindle gouge. No sanding
IMG_2666.jpeg

Other spindle examples
IMG_0270.jpegIMG_4226.jpegIMG_3514.jpeg

I have Sindy Drozdas video several times and ground mw 3/8 spindle gouge several times to different degrees to what works best for me 15 to a lot less.

Speaking of Cindy Drozda, I always believed that her vortex tool waas born from a spindle gouge that was sharpened past the flute and she didn't want to throw it away. That's what I would do... Well, will do next gouge I wear out.

Allen Batty had a detail tool, which I believe Cindy used as her inspiration. His was half round bar stock, and ground to a point, and a very shallow nose angle, like 20 or so degrees. The Sorby 'spindle master' tools were supposed to be an imitation of Allen's tool. Allen said, "They got it all wrong!". The Skewchigouge was another attempt to mimic the tool. I think Stewart has a version of the tool as well.

robo hippy

The biggest thing I learned was to get rid of the tailstock. Work in small segments from the tip and make cuts towards the headstock. At each segment, do your sanding before moving to the next and violate the rule and use a finger behind the finial for support especially as it gets thinner. Learning this method has really elevated my game on finials. I use nothing but a detail gouge unless I need to hog out a little wood...BUT cuts are always toward the headstock. I do have a small skew I made for some fine detail work as well.

The biggest thing I learned was to get rid of the tailstock. Work in small segments from the tip and make cuts towards the headstock. At each segment, do your sanding before moving to the next and violate the rule and use a finger behind the finial for support especially as it gets thinner. Learning this method has really elevated my game on finials. I use nothing but a detail gouge unless I need to hog out a little wood...BUT cuts are always toward the headstock. I do have a small skew I made for some fine detail work as well.
Thanks for the help

Speaking of Cindy Drozda, I always believed that her vortex tool was born from a spindle gouge that was sharpened past the flute and she didn't want to throw it away. That's what I would do... Well, will do next gouge I wear out.
That's a good idea. I wonder if I could get any use out of a 1/2 inch vortex tool. All I have laying around other than a 5/8.

I plan on using my 1/2" spindle gouge for exactly that... 5/8 seems too much steel because the bevel would force the tool to hang out in front of the rest

Allen Batty had a detail tool, which I believe Cindy used as her inspiration. His was half round bar stock, and ground to a point, and a very shallow nose angle, like 20 or so degrees. The Sorby 'spindle master' tools were supposed to be an imitation of Allen's tool. Allen said, "They got it all wrong!". The Skewchigouge was another attempt to mimic the tool. I think Stewart has a version of the tool as well.

robo hippy

Stuart does have a Vortex tool, I think he says Cindy got the idea from him. I made a 1/4" Vortex to Cindy's spec, and like it a lot.

Back