• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Tormek users save $$$

If you're using a tormek for sharpening and discovered how difficult it is to duplicate a grind on one of your tools. Try this tip and make a set of guages to set your universal tool bar to the same setting each time. Want to see more? go to www.bayouwoodturners.com/tips.html

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Afternoon Capt!
The only issue with your gauges is that they do not account for the wheel getting smaller in diameter, as the Tormek gauge does.
I am assuming you are talking about the Pro Anglemaster?

tormek getting smaller

I've been using my current wheel for about 17 months and it is 3/16" smaller than when I started. With proper use most wheels will stay fairly true for quite a while. IF it does change diameter, adjust your guage every year or two.

Website
www.jeanmichel.org
A little mod maybe...

Hi Capt,

I don't know but could you take your reference on the stone itself instead of the bracket? This would take care of the stone reducton in Diameter and wouold assure you the same grind all year around... You would not have to make a drastic adjustment every year...

Just a tought, HTH.

Jean.

My humble site: http://www.jeanmichel.org

Tormek Guages

Great idea. The reference point for the guage actually looks good because there is a solid landing at both ends. Using the wheel might make it more difficult to judge the distance. The wheel size problem can be minimizes by just sanding off a little of the guage every so often as you true up the stone.

Back