• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Triple E over shellac

Website
originalrevolutions.com
I have a white pine cup/ pencil holder that is live edge with the pine bark still attached around the top. I thought about putting a few coats to help protect the bark around the top and then finishing the rest with triple E and wax. I know the shellac will likely get on some of the inside or outside wood. Will the triple E work over the parts that get shellac? Or should I find a different finish?
Thanks,
Denny

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I have a white pine cup/ pencil holder that is live edge with the pine bark still attached around the top. I thought about putting a few coats to help protect the bark around the top and then finishing the rest with triple E and wax. I know the shellac will likely get on some of the inside or outside wood. Will the triple E work over the parts that get shellac? Or should I find a different finish?
Thanks,
Denny

It will work over the shellac. But light buffing. A lot easier if you have no bark.
Shellac is not very hard so you can remove a lot of it with anything but the lightest buffing
If you are using a buffing wheel on the triple E, you need to keep the buffing wheel off the bark.
The buffing wheel can pull the bark off as well as catching it the bark possibly pulling the bowl from you hands.

You might consider using something like Waterlox with repeated coats to build up the sheen you want
Or using odies oil for a one and done finish.
Also odies oil over one coat of Waterlox does a slightly nicer finish.

Back